Please register or login to continue

Register Login




As told by her Grandson, Romeo Lombardi

Grandma Rose was only ill a few days before she passed away. It was like a knife in my heart, one I could not show to those near to me. She was more to me than Mother, who would have been saddened if she knew I cared more for Nama Rose than I did for her. But it was true and I never fully realized it until she was gone.

I was a shy youth and stayed to myself. Nama was always there to make sure I wasn’t lonely. She would play games with me and let me win. I was shy but not stupid — I knew what she was doing and loved her all the more for it.

She was also instrumental in getting a puppy for me. I heard her arguing with Mother in the kitchen and thought she had lost the argument until a few days later when an eight-week old puppy trotted into my room and cried. I picked him up and named him Max.

I was only nine but Max could not have arrived at a more opportune time. I so needed a companion and Max was perfect. He slept with me from the day he arrived, much to the chagrin of Mother who laid out impossible rules which I faithfully kept. Eventually, she softened to the idea of an animal living within her walls. He was so well behaved. Except for school, he was with me everywhere I went. Nama helped me train him.

I had just turned Twenty-One when Max passed away. It was horrible; no one warned me what it would be like. Six months later Nama passed and I was alone — truly and desperately alone. Mom and Dad didn’t understand my sadness and told me to snap out of it.

The funeral for Nama was traditional and very boring. I didn’t realize how many friends she had until that day. It was comforting to know she was so widely loved. I was standing with my parents at her graveside while Reverend Stephan gave his eulogy when I noticed someone standing a distance away from us.

It was an elderly woman who looked vaguely familiar. I assumed it was one of Nama’s friends and continued looking at her while I waited for the Reverend to finish. She saw me watching her and threw me a kiss which I thought odd; I looked away.

As everyone departed, they threw a rose into the open grave and went their way. Mom and Dad and I were the last to leave. I let them go first. As they departed, I gathered up a hand full of roses from a funeral wreath and scattered them across the top of her casket. Mom saw what I had done and stared at me in disbelief. I smiled, ignored her, and walked to the limo.

As we got into the limo I saw the woman again off in the distance. I paused. This time she waved to me. I automatically returned the greeting and got into the limo.

“Who were you waving at?” Mother whispered.

“No one.”

“What do you mean no one? Who were you waving to?”

“That woman over there,” I pointed.

Mother looked out of the limo window and then looked at me. “There’s no one there.”

I looked again, saw the woman, “Over there, by those trees.”

Mother looked, then looked at me in the most peculiar way.

“It was probably one of Nama’s friends.” The limo pulled away.

Mother said nothing and sat back.

As we rounded one of the bends in the driveway, just before the cemetery exit, I saw her again, leaned forward and raised my hand at the window when she waved.

“That’s not very funny, Romeo.”


She just glared at me and looked away.

It was at that moment I began to suspect that Mother was not able to see her, whoever she was. I blinked my eyes and nodded my head slightly. Perhaps I was seeing things that weren’t there out of grief for my loss.

We were several blocks away when we slowed because of heavy traffic. I glanced out of the window and sat up with a start. There she was again at curb side, only this time I could see who it was. I silently gasped, “Nama’ and followed the image as we drove on.

“What’s with him?” I heard my father whisper to Mother.

She whispered, “Nothing.”

I sat back and began to chuckle to myself — it was Nama and they couldn’t see her. The ghost of my beloved Nama was still here among us. Joy ripped through my being at the possibility of seeing and talking with her again.

The driver pulled up in front of my apartment house. I got out. “See you guys later,” and closed the door. The limo pulled away as I stood on the curb looking in all directions with a hope I’d see her again. I didn’t, and decided I may have been seeing things — or maybe not.

Life returned to normal and I became aware once again of my loneliness, only now it seemed more acute. I often wondered if Nama knew I was gay. My guess is that she did and saw no reason to mention it. She just loved me like no one else in my life. I could certainly use her advice and guidance regarding my love life. My shyness persisted and seemed to ensure that I would live and die alone. Not a very happy conclusion but what else was I to think.

Thanksgiving was passed. We did not celebrate this year because of the funeral, but Christmas loomed ahead. I toyed with the idea of taking a trip to San Francisco for the holiday just to avoid my parents and the absence of Nama. With Max gone, I had no ties I cared about. Clark and Terry, two of my close friends, went to the City by the Bay every year around Christmas. I had refused the few times they asked me to join them. Needless to say, they were delighted when I suggested I go with them this year. Arrangements were made.

Mother was not pleased when I told her I wouldn’t be visiting them at Christmas. The tone of her voice only reinforced my decision to go. Because of a loveless marriage, I had become a surrogate husband for Mother, thus her reaction that I had somehow betrayed her by not fulfilling her expectations.

Departure was set for December 18 on Virgin American Flight 201 at 8 AM — arriving San Francisco at 10:35 AM, early enough to enjoy the day. Our return trip would be January 3. Seventeen delightful days in the City by the Bay. We arrived early to ensure there would be no delay in getting through the TSA man handlers, which went very smoothly. We had time to spare before departure and decided to have breakfast.

We had finished eating and were chatting about what we would do the first day in San Francisco. I raised my cup of coffee for a last swig when I saw her across the concourse. My heart leapt at the sight. It wasn’t my imagination, she was real and evidently going to San Francisco with us. I set my cup down and blew her a kiss. She laughed and returned it to me.

Clark looked at me, “Who are you throwing kisses at?”

I laughed, “Just an old friend I happen to see.”

“Which one,” Terry was all eyes.

She was still there but I knew they couldn’t see her, “She’s gone now.”

I wondered what she was up to. The boarding call came, we left the restaurant.

The plane arrived at 10:35 AM as scheduled — we checked in early at the Fairmont Hotel, a little before Noon. Since our rooms would not be available until 2:30, we decided to go to the Embarcadero and have either a late lunch or early dinner at the Bodin Bistro. I had been thinking about their sourdough bread ever since I decided to join Clark and Terry on this venture. I had ordered their bread from Chicago, but there was nothing like having it served on site. We left the Fairmont and caught the Powell Street Cable Car which runs behind the Fairmont on its way to the Bay.

The weather was perfect and the conductor on the cable car was an experienced bell ringer which added to our enjoyment. Arriving at Aquatic Park, we helped the conductor, along with waiting riders, turn the Cable Car around for its return journey. The brisk breeze from the Bay energized us as we made our way to Bodin’s.

We were in the middle of our meal when I caught someone waving out of the corner of my eye. I almost choked on my food when I looked around and saw Nama sitting at another table across from a very handsome man in uniform. He was oblivious to her presence and continued eating. She just sat there with her chin in her hand, smiling at me.

I kind of chuckled to myself wondering if she was staking out a lover for me. He was certainly handsome and probably around my age.

“Romeo, what are you looking at?” Terry was all smiles.

“That man over there.”

“You mean the stud muffin in the uniform?”

“Yup. Do you think he’s gay?”

“Why don’t you go over and ask him.”

I laughed out loud, “Yeah, sure. Like that’s never gonna happen.”

“Do you want me to ask?”

“Terry, don’t you dare,” Clark was serious.

“Well, how else is he ever going to get married? He won’t do it himself.”

“He’s just eye candy, guys. But he does look lonely. Oh, well.” Nama continued to sit there smiling at me. What if…?

The man looked up and caught me looking at him. I turned away so fast I almost got whip lash. What a stupid thing to do. I should have smiled and then looked casually away. I didn’t dare look back again.

When we left the bistro he was gone and so was Nama. I felt a slight twinge of melancholy. All the what-ifs in my life that I never did anything about.

We wandered about the Embarcadero for an hour before heading back to the hotel, stopping at the Alcatraz kiosk and deciding we’d take the tour the following day. It was twilight when the cable car pulled into the Aquatic Park turnaround. We helped the conductor turn the car around, jumped on board and enjoyed the trip back as evening shadows increased and the lights of the city came on. It was magic as far as I was concerned. I thought of Nama on the way back and the beautiful man she was sitting with. Was she trying to tell me something? I wondered if I would ever know.

We arrived early the next morning and had breakfast before the 9:10 departure of the tour. We were leaning on the rail as the boat moved into the Bay. The smell of sea air and the cool breeze was refreshing. I had visited San Francisco several times and now wondered why I didn’t just move here and start a new life.

I sensed someone come to the rail a few feet away from me. I kind of jumped when I looked — it was him, the man from the Bistro last night. He turned and looked at me. This time I didn’t turn away, I just smiled.

“Hi,” he smiled. His braces glittered in the morning sun.

I laughed, “You’ve got braces,” and turned my body toward him.

He laughed, “Yeah. I figured I better do it before I got too old.”

“You were in uniform yesterday?”

“I’m a police officer.”

“Oh. Day off.”

“Yeah, never been to Alcatraz before. You?”

“Tourist for a few weeks. I’ve been to the Island before. It’s very interesting. You’ll enjoy it.”

He moved closer, “Names Reed Mason.”

“Ah, that’s English isn’t it?”

“Yes, my parents are from the UK.”

“I think it has something to do with red hair, which you have.” I couldn’t believe I was so talkative with a total stranger.

“You got that right. And what’s your name? You look Italian.”

“I am, and the name is Romeo Lombardi.”

He stood up straight and looked like the blood drained from his ruddy complexion. “Are you all right?”

“Yes. It’s your name that threw me.”

“It’s unusual but not that unusual.”

“No, it’s not that.” He paused, “You probably won’t believe this but that name has been whispered in my ear ever since I saw you at the Bistro.”

“Oh, my God.”

“What is it?”

“I… I…”

“Are you all right?”

“Yes, it’s just that …”

“What?” he moved closer.

“My grandmother.”

He looked at me waiting for more.

I moved closer and told him about her passing and how I have been seeing her ever since. When I told him I saw her sitting across from him at the Bistro I thought he was going to pass out.

“Reed, what is it?”

He looked at me with a deadpan expression, “That’s when I began hearing that name whispered in my ear. I thought I was going nuts.”

Terry and Clark saw what was happening and left us to ourselves throughout the tour. What happened during the tour caught me completely off guard. When we got to D block, where they kept inmates in solitary confinement, the tour guide asked if anyone wished to experience the darkness of these cells. I piped up and said I would. Reed said he would also. The guide ushered us into one of the cells and slammed the door. Reed grabbed me, our mouths found each other in the inky darkness. I was amazed at how I reciprocated without thinking about it. The fierceness and passion overwhelmed me. I almost passed out. He released me and apologized. “For what? I wanted it as much as you did.” We laughed as the guard opened the cell door.

Clark and Terry moved over to us. “What the hell were the two of you doing in there?”

“Nothing.” I smiled.

“You are such a liar. It’s written all over your faces.

Clark leaned in, “Were you sucking face in there?”

I just smiled and looked at Reed who grinned.

Clark looked at Terry, “They were.”

Terry agreed, “If they had been in there any longer, who knows what they would have done.”

We all laughed and completed the tour.

On the way back to San Francisco, Clark and Terry left us to ourselves. It was then that my life began to turn upside down.

“Romeo, I know I’m jumping the gun but if it weren’t for learning about your grandmother and hearing your name whispered, I wouldn’t be doing this.”

“It’s okay, Reed. I’m so shy I can’t believe I’m doing this either.”

“Stay with me tonight, please.”

I pinched my eyes, ‘Nama. Tell me what to do.’ And for the very first time, I heard her whisper in my ear, “Go with him.” I looked at Reed, “Okay, let’s go.”

“I have to work tomorrow so you’ll be free to be with your friends.”

When the boat landed, I took Clark and Terry aside and told them what I was going to do and that I’d meet them at the hotel in the morning and we could spend the day together. I thought Terry was going to begin jumping up and down he was so excited and pleased for me. We bid them goodbye and went our separate ways.

I had read about passion but had no idea what it was like until I was alone with Reed. There are no words to explain it. At midnight I told him we needed to stop and get some sleep. He had to go to work and I wanted to be with Clark and Terry the next day. He reluctantly agreed but we only got about five hours of sleep.

The next twelve days were intense and a whirlwind of emotions I never imagined. I didn’t see Nama again and Reed didn’t hear any whispering but I knew she was there giving her blessing.

With the third of January just a day away, Reed took me aside, “Romeo, this is selfish of me to ask, but I want you to stay. I’m looking for a husband and I’m hoping you are also. I’m not asking you to marry me right now, but I want to be with you to find out if this is a match or not. I’ll be disappointed if you say no but I will understand.”

I looked at him very seriously and said, “No.” then I smiled and continued, “How about if I come back in 30 days after I’ve tied up loose ends in Chicago? Will you still be available?”

“You bet your ass I’ll be available.”

On the fifth of February, I said goodbye to Terry and Clark and flew back to San Francisco. My mother said she would never talk to me again and hung up on me. Eventually, she did come around and we’re good friends now.

Reed met me at the airport. While we waited for the carousel to deliver my luggage I spotted Nama in the waiting area. I grabbed Reed’s arm, “She’s over there.” I pointed.


“Nama. She’s the one with the red coat.” I held my breath that he would see her.

“Yes, I see her.”

She blew us a kiss, waved and disappeared. I never saw her after that but felt she’d step back through the veil if ever I needed her.

Six months later Reed proposed, and, of course, I accepted. Clark and Terry flew out for the ceremony. A week later, Reed and I picked out a puppy from the humane society and named him Max.

The years have flown by, but each night before I drift off, I send a thank you to Nama and bless her for what she did for me and Reed, and Max too.

The End

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Plus Reddit
About The Author
About This Story
All Audiences
8 Aug, 2017
Romance, Drama
Feel-Good, Offbeat

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.