Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Can't You Stay? Reviews

2 reviews have given an average rating of 4 out of 5 Stars
apemann
Andy (Formerly Apemann) gave a rating of 3

A couple of grammatical and spelling errors from the start was a off-putting when reading this piece ("she inquired" instead of "she Enquired"; 'definitly' instead of 'definitely') and again shows your slap-dash approach to your own work. Your computer has thesaurus and spell-check facilities. It would pay you to use them before submitting future works...

As for your story; an interesting little piece, if somewhat confused. You describe the girls eyes at one point as "cold begging" eyes. Why? What does it mean and to what purpose are those words used? Surely if the girl is begging the guy to stay they would be warm, inviting eyes?

I sometimes get the impression you use words and phrases for effect rather than for the purpose of telling the story; almost as though you are trying to impress with your vocabulary. It is something that many young writers are guilty of (and many not-so-young, too!) and more of than not had the reverse effect. Write what you really mean, not what you THINK you should.

I think you are still trying to find your 'voice' as a writer. It takes time and practice to achieve. Taking the help and advice given to you will help you on your way. You have the potential to be a very good writer... IF you shed the bad habits you have already developed.

0
Kat
Kat I thank you for your commenting, and I am pretty sure that my "bad habits" aren't really habits. They are just subjects of matter needing to be improved. Habits are things that you gain while developing, and I don't think that I started these "habits" while I've been learning. I believe I just need to work on these small matters.
I think that the use of the "cold, begging" eyes was accurate. The girl didn't really need him. Thanks, though.
Author -
TheForgotten
TheForgotten gave a rating of 5

I tend to like short and brisk stories such as this one, they tell you a lot without saying much.

1
Kat
Kat Thanks!
Author -

Please login or register to review this story.