Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Gender and Sex Reviews

2 reviews have given an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 Stars
IanG
IanG gave a rating of 4

Our time isn't the first when people have questioned traditional gender roles. It happened when men went off to fight in both world wars and women took over jobs that had once been theirs. They didn't do it to prove a point but to keep the economy going until peace returned. It happened when women first got the vote. That said, some people were nostalgic for a happy time years before and so tried to resist or slow the process of change.

I agree that change must come from within rather than by changing appearances.

0
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Traditional gender roles are one thing. Saying gender is a fluid social construct is another
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts It's just not a social construct. There are aspects of it that vary from culture to culture (meaning that there are parts that are socially constructed), but it's mostly based in biological differences between men and women, which are certainly not social constructs. The data is crystal clear.
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts King, did you watch the video I sent you? You know, the one where a WORLD RENOWNED psychologist showed the conclusive evidence that gender isn't a social construct? All you ever said afterwards was some bs lies about the guy, so I genuinely don't know. Regardless, the link you just sent is chock full of unnecessarily complex terms and useless labels. Prof. Peterson provided clear, DEFINITIVE evidence that is true cross-culturally, evidence found by people who didn't LIKE the results (which is proof that it was unbiased), I mean, until you refute that clear, scientific evidence, I'm not going to waste time reading articles based on stupid gender theory. Show me the reciepts, show me the tests, and who did the testing so we can find out if they were biased, then of course you have to look at how the tests were carried out (sample sizes, demographics, etc...) and go from there.
If there AREN'T tests to back up the claims, they're probably shitty claims, and when I say test I mean a test as widely supported by experts and as big as the ones Peterson references. https://youtu.be/KGCN7OHe0qk
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Bigoted? To what, data and facts? Also, have you watched the videos I sent? They are much more level headed than I am, and they make a very good argument to anyone with an open mind. The thing about new gender theory is that it tries to do away with so many things that have been proven to be true. I don't think gender being a social construct is helpful to me in any way, unlike knowing the actual statistical differences between men and women.
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Sorry IanG, you don't deserve this stupid debate filling up your notifications
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts People can DO whatever they want (we are what we do, so in most ways, a person can be what they want, but I can't be a kangaroo, no matter how hard I try) and I do in fact have the right to say they can't, just as much as they have the right to say they are whatever they want. Like, they can say they're a kangaroo, and I can say no. That's fair.
Author -
This is why the percentage of teen deaths are so high why judge the way people feel, if they want to be different from what they have then let them be them.
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Nah, boys have penises. There are some things that people objectively are, that being said, they're free to pretend to be the opposite sex if they want, as long as they aren't competing unfairly in sports or forcing other people to use certain words.
I don't know what you mean by persona complex. What are you referring to?

To Lilleth, I just have to say that there's no evidence that trans suicide rates go down when other people go along with their supposed gender. If a person is trans, they probably have multiple other issues (depression, anxiety, bullying at school, abusive family, lonliness, overwhelming school work, etc...) that also contribute to their sad state of mind, and other people suporting their delusions won't get rid of that. I dare you to find a transgender teenager without one of the issues I listed.
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts I know what persona means, I just don't understand what you're asking about. What has become a persona?
Author -
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Oh, sure, I'll give you that. People who "change" genders are making a persona, sure. That doesn't mean gender is completely a social construct, or that what they're doing is healthy. And nobody should be forced to use words.

If you wanna make choices that socially alienate you, go right ahead. Pretend you're a different gender. See how that works out for you. You'll still hate yourself.
Author -
FabioLanzoni
Aaron Sebastians gave a rating of 3

I agree with what you say, but for how you connect the idea of a happy life and the idea of 'gender and sex' doesn't really fit together.
Glad you brought up the topic though :)

1
MyThoughts
MyThoughts Yeah, it was a bit of a rant based on recent personal experiences. I could have done better explaining my thought process
Author -

Please login or register to review this story.