Higher Ground (another Purdey, Symes and Wright story)

By PeterHunter

Higher Ground… (another Purdy, Symes and Wright story)

by Peter Hunter


… I like to rest or sleep, high up - where I can easily see who is around me…
particularly the boys, Symes and Wright. Yesterday, after our short morning conference in the tractor shed - Mum and Dad were still lazily in bed so I thought I would also take a nap - in the kitchen where I could be he first in the queue for breakfast.
Normally it is my practice to sleep on the top of the coffee machine, a habit my Mum says is unhygienic - so now she covers it with a tea towel for me to lie on…
… but today for a change I decided to seek higher ground and jumped further up - onto the lower shelf of the units adjoining the wall.
Unfortunately one of Mum's ornate flower decorated vases had got there first. Cat plus vase equals - something has to go to make room…
… a Chinese vase left to Mum by her mother and treasured…
As and I was stronger and heavier than the vase, it went…
… bouncing down to the top of the coffee machine then down to the slate-tiled floor. Result - about five-hundred-thousand shards of the china and a horrendous loud crash.
Following fast footsteps downstairs, Dad appeared.
'Purdey - you bad, bad cat…' he bellowed.
How he knew enough to blame me - I will never know. Staying motionless and with my eyes closed tight, I feigned innocence…
… but I knew that with the delayed breakfast and a temporary lack of affection that I was the prime suspect…

End

© Peter Hunter 2012

Peter Hunter's full-length thrillers are available on Kindle

0 Reviews

For more features, such as favoriting, recommending, and reviewing, please go to the full version of this story.