Please register or login to continue

Register Login

ST. GEORGE'S Reviews

2 reviews have given an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 Stars
bufordwm
bufordwm gave a rating of 3

I like the concept of this story, and the language is interesting and readable. What's missing is characterization. I don't see any protaganist, so it's kind of hard to get emotionally involved and take the concept seriously. I feel like it's a good start on an idea but it needs "fleshing out" (pun intended) to work as a story.
Thanks for sharing it!

0
stanley  wilkin
stanley wilkin Can I make the point that it has been published 5 times by different magazines. The protagonist is surely the school. Why should you necessarily get emotionally involved? With what or whom? Sorry, although well meant, your points escape me.
Author -
apemann
Andy (Formerly Apemann) gave a rating of 4

There are some really good parts to this story: atmosphere-building and scene-setting for sure. Where is really falls flat for me is the actual 'horror' scenes. They are told in such a flat and bland tone that they fail to resonate emotionally or viscerally.

Horror is one of the most difficult genres to write successfully and/or effectively. Much really good horror writing is not really very graphic: it's mostly about suggestion, subtle hints and manipulating the readers' imagination. Steven King is the master at it, and he is rarely as graphic in his writing as you have been in your story.

It IS a good story, definitely. My review is just an opinion. Others will disagree and rave about it. :-)

0
stanley  wilkin
stanley wilkin Andy, let me make the point that this story has been published 5 times by a number of leading (and not so leading) magazines. I'm not sure why it needs to resonate emotionally, as it is not that kind of story. I would have thought that viscerally it was effective. I think you are searching for a different kind of story here. not this one, which set out to do other things.
Author -
Andy (Formerly Apemann)
Andy (Formerly Apemann) ANY story, in whatever genre it's written, needs to have some sort of emotional impact for it to be effective. The fact your story has been reprinted a number of times does not necessarily mean it is a fantastic story. It means that it's good enough to be reprinted...

There is something lacking in the story - for my taste at least - which is why I left the review I have. I stand by my comments.
Reviewer -
stanley  wilkin
stanley wilkin Good Andy, but I didn't intend to write such a model story. Do you really think though that you should pontificate about how to write horror stories when you have no apparent background?
I will no doubt reiterate this, but with your fixed views on how things should be written, the style of writing, etc, and rereading your story it seems to me that you perhaps are not really a creative writer. You seem on the flimsy evidence I have before me to lack the imaginative energy that is required. Never
Author -
stanley  wilkin
stanley wilkin theless it was a mistake on my part to come on this site as I particularly abhor reading/hearing this kind of ego-driven ignorance.
Author -

Please login or register to review this story.