Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Little Black Book
The Little Black Book

The Little Black Book

JozayBigrasJozay

It wasn't like I hadn't gone through the motions before, the end of the school year was always so hectic. After wrapping up my social clubs and saying goodbye to friends for the last time, this year was somehow different. Summer started in no time and I had never felt so lost until now.

Being a straight A student was pretty easy for me, effortless really. But for some reason I had zero direction for college in the fall. All my friends were going to spend the summer getting ready for their first college semester. I was going to spend it trying to figure out what direction in life I should be taking. I wanted to travel, but dad needed my help getting the house ready to sell.

After moms passing, things changed, dad changed. Understandably, he lost the love of his life. But he stopped taking care of the house and himself. Now that I was finished high school, he wanted to downsize, move on. I had promised him I would help clear and clean the house to help with the selling process.

One night, after a long day of cleaning out the garage, I decided to go for a walk. I normally went up the road towards my school, or old school now. But this time I wanted to go down the trail at the end of the cull de sac on my street.

It was a cold night and the sun had not yet set. I bundled up with multiple layers and off I went with my headphones in. The music added the perfect atmosphere to the walk. By the time I reached the creek, the sun was almost down and I decided to make a quick stop before heading back. As I searched for a place to take in the peace and quiet I saw something peculiar. Beside a tree stump was a little black notebook.

Untouched and looking like it had just been bought new from a bookstore, I was left curious. Should I open it or should I put it back down and head back? I repeated the question in my head a few times before deciding to pick it up.

Upon opening the book I was left speechless. A note read: " Congratulations, you are the new owner of this black notebook. Please turn the page if you choose to find out what comes with this beautiful notebook." I had to turn the page, what could be waiting for me. On the next page, read direction to a safe box downtown. I decided that first thing tomorrow morning I'd head there.

I woke up so excited, I ran downstairs and asked dad for the car. He sleepily agreed and pointed to the keys in his coat pocket. I stuffed by face with a muffin and out the door I went. As I drove towards downtown I couldn't help but feel more excited. I pulled into the parking and went into the building it directed me to and looked for lockbox 719.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally found it. The box was pretty old looking with a faded 719 right in the center written in black. As I opened it up with the code provided in the book, my jaw dropped. I couldn't understand why someone would have this here for someone to find. A bag full of money was in the lockbox, with a note on the side. It read: "You have taken a huge risk and it paid off! A $20,000 pay off to be exact. Enjoy the reward and always remember, taking chances can lead to endless possibilities. Never stop."

On the bottom of the page was an address, it prompted me to go there now that I had found the money. The rest of the notebook was empty, but filled with beautiful empty pages left for me to fill out with my hopes and dreams. As I drove towards the address in the notebook, I smiled. Although I had no direction in my life career wise, adventures like these is what I wanted out of life. As I pulled into the driveway, a beautiful Victorian home sat at the back of the lot. The mailbox tab was up but the house seemed abandoned for a while, though very well maintained regardless. I curiously approached it and opened it to see what was in there.

Another envelope sat at the back of the mailbox, on the top was written "OPEN ME". So I did, and boy was I not disappointed. There was the houses ownership papers and keys to the home. There was another note, it read: "This is the cherry on top to it all! Your new house! Fully paid off and just looking for a new owner to claim it."

Needless to say, life changed beyond that point. Every chance I took, something beautiful came from it. Good or bad, it was a life lesson and new adventure to add into my beautiful black notebook.



THE END

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
JozayBigras
Jozay
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
25 Feb, 2021
Words
837
Read Time
4 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
988

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.