Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Weeping Ash Reviews

2 reviews have given an average rating of 5 out of 5 Stars
LeCat127
LeCat127 gave a rating of 5

Excellent. I did notice the stages of grief while I was reading, but it felt smooth. The style was cohesive and I enjoyed the way you depicted how a tree might feel about things and view its life.

1
NorthernPhoenix
Author -
ThomastheRay
Thomas Ray gave a rating of 5

In my opinion, this is your best writing so far.

The descriptions are pretty much perfect, and the pictures they painted were pictures I've never seen before. The overall mood was amazing, and the way each twist added another emotion (I almost want to say memory, because I feel like I know this tree's home) it felt so natural, and built up so smoothly!

Stages of grief. I think you did really well. Because I didn't notice while reading, but it makes sense. I've read/seen/written things based on the stages, but it's never felt as cohesive as this, I always saw it coming. This seemed less like borrowing a structure and more like using something inherent to human experience to breathe life into your story. It's so well done!

There is one thing that broke my immersion, and that's the present/past tense... Sometimes it seemed inconsistent and made me confused about who was telling the story, and when.

But overall, this just feels right. It's so well done. I feel like the ending maybe hasn't reached its final form, but it's far from unsatisfying.

And I wish I could give it seven stars. 9.9/10

1
NorthernPhoenix
NorthernPhoenix I'm so glad you like it! :)

I had some concerns about the past/present tense while I was writing it, but I really didn't want to break into a new section for every shift in time that happened.

I'm also glad you thought the stages were written smoothly, since I was worried about putting things in the wrong place-- I'm still not sure if I should have put the memory of the lightning strike in bargaining instead of depression. I might still do some little edits in the future.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Author -

Please login or register to review this story.