Please register or login to continue

Register Login

... the dimming of the light... (part 15)

... the dimming of the light... (part 15)

By PeterHunter

… the dimming of the light… (Part 15)

Peter Hunter

… 'to the curious incident of the dog in the night-time' remarked Holmes - 'the dog did nothing in the night-time…' said Watson.
'That was the curious incident,' remarked Sherlock Holmes…
… and equally curious was the violence, the gangs, the looting and the general upheaval of that mid-winter 2013 when the lights went out - when an electricity-less Britain struggled with elementary survival.
… like that curiosity of the dog that barked in the night was that it didn't… the surprising thing about the violence of the early winter was that most of it did not take place… sure, their were attempts, particularly in the early days and predominantly in the towns… opportunism, desperation and lust for power of sorts - a type of 'Lord of the Flies' mentality…
… then they all played their parts… but somehow the potential for death and destruction never happened to the extent one might have thought…
Was it perhaps the emerging shock unravelling… a realisation of what was happening… the potential end of a way of life and the pressing imminence of a survival culture that almost nobody had ever thought about?
… let alone been faced with?
Whatever the reason… and we will never know… amazingly the attempt at a new order; one based on mob rule, the survival of the violently ruthless never fully took hold…
... far too many were preoccupied with just staying alive…


(To be continued…)

© Peter Hunter 2012
… thrillers … by Peter Hunter on Amazon and Kindle…

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
PeterHunter
PeterHunter
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
9 Dec, 2012
Genre
Type
Words
252
Read Time
1 min
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
2,473

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.