Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Amy's Discovery
Amy's Discovery

Amy's Discovery

JanBrooks14Jan Brooks
2 Reviews

It was not unusual to see Amy outside, exploring her surroundings, and playing in the snow. There were often times, where she would suffer a cold. Nevertheless, that could not stop her. She is an inquisitive eight year old, and loves learning new things.

The redheaded little girl slipped on her yellow boots, over sized beanie, and green gloves, and barged out the door. A bright smile spread across her face, as she took off her gloves and beanie, feeling the snow on her tiny hands. She always hated wearing them, which is why she develops a cold. She twirled, and skipped, and jumped for joy, finally reunited with her best friend.

The little girl wandered around her street, taking in the amazing sight of the houses. They were all in different colours of light and although she could barely see them because it was day, she still thought it looked lovely. She loved to hear the christmas songs her neighbours play. She frolicked with a bright smile on her face as Silver Bells started playing. As she continued to wander she came across a black kitten shivering in the cold atmosphere. Its entire body was covered in snow.

"Oh no! You must be freezing!" she mewled.

She carefully picked up the poor thing off the ground, and removed the snow from its body. Its green eyes, she assumed, was barely open, and blood gushed out his paws. Amy jogged back to her house, spotting her father outside, raking the snow off the patio.

"Dad!" Amy shouted.

She rushed up to her father, panting heavily.

"Can we keep him?" she begged.

Her father gazed into her sparkling blue orbs, and crooked smile. How could he every say no to her? He pinched her chubby cheeks, and let out a soft chuckle.

"Of course you can keep him darling," he answered.

"Thank you thank you!!" Amy cheered.

Amy jogged inside her house and took off her boots and winter coat. Her mother, like always, scolded her for going outside and not telling her.

"I am sorry mom, but look what I found!" she grinned.

"It's okay, but don't do it again, I was worried." she groaned, for the thousandth time.

She nodded vigorously, and went upstairs to assist the kitten. She set up a nice bath for him, and although she had a hard time bathing it, with its vicious behaviour, she did not give up. With the assistance from her mother, they treated the cat's wounded areas. Afterwards, she insisted that her father purchase a bag of kitten treats for him, as her mother helped her set up a comfortable bed for him near the fireplace. She found an old bowl in her cupboard, and poured some water for him, as she patiently waited for her father to return home.

"I'll name you Leo" she giggled.

The black kitten was still a bit shy, nonetheless he walked over to the bowl and stuck out his tiny pink tongue, taking a few licks. Amy cooed at the adorable kitten, while she stroked his soft black fur. After what felt like a thousand years, her father finally came back with the cat food. She poured out a lot for him, and he gobbled all up. It was already late, and they all went to sleep. Amy tucked in Leo, and went to her room, after placing a soft kiss on its head.

The next morning trouble arose. Leo was no where to be found. They checked the living room, the kitchen, the bedrooms, even the backyard. Still, no sight of the green eyed kitten. She tried mimicking his meows, but still no Leo. The little girl tried everything, but she still did not have a clue where he was. It was not long after, she gave up. Her parents tried cheering her up with her favourite breakfast meal. But she refused to eat, she lost her appetite and she felt down.

"We'll go look for him later sweetheart, but you have to eat." her mother comforted.

Amy did not say a word. She sat on her sofa and cried in her hands.

"We could go see fireworks later too!"

"Fireworks?"

"Yes, but you have to eat first."

Amy picked at her food and after her mother thought she ate a good amount, they set off to find Leo. She hopped into her father's jeep, fingers crossed that they will find him. While the family travelled down the streets, they saw kids singing christmas carols, and it was enough to cheer Amy up for a while. The streets was lively. Children playing in the snow and much more. It soon became dark without a sign of Leo, but the family stayed back to watch the fireworks.

"This fireworks is so much better than last night isn't it Amy!"

She nod her head and put on a fake smile. Although she was not feeling her best she still tried to enjoy the dazzling fireworks.

"I think I know what happened to Leo now that you mentioned that honey," her father said.

The two looked at him with a questioning look.

"Fireworks are loud, so it would scare animals, like Leo. There is no doubt that the fireworks last night was so loud that he ran away, feeling scared."

"But the doors were closed," stated Amy.

"I went outside last night, I might have left the door open," he blushed.

"Well he must be dead by now, it's already dark," she sobbed.

"I promise I will find him."

The family turned back around to go home after experiencing the last of the fireworks. When they reached home, her mother prepared Amy's favourite dinner and they ate. A few minutes later, they heard a knock on the door.

"Mr and Mrs. Brooks."

Her father sauntered over to the door and opened it to be greeted by their near door neighbour. In his rough hands he held up a happy looking kitten that gazed at him.

"Is this yours? I saw him outside freezing and took him in for treatment. Luckily he survived. I've been going all around asking people if they own him."

"Yes, this is our kitten we were looking for him all over, thank you Mr. Grouse."

"Your very much welcome, I'm happy you all are reunited now."

"Haha yes! Would you like some dinner?"

"Of course, thank you."

"It is my absolute pleasure sir."

He walked over to his daughter and showed her Leo.

"Hey sweetie! Next time we should put a name tag on him and contact number!" he chuckled.

"Yay!"

They played all day and night. One day turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years.

Author Notes: Thanks for reading, please give reviews :)

Recommend Reviews (2) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
JanBrooks14
Jan Brooks
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
21 Jul, 2021
Words
1,117
Read Time
5 mins
Favorites
0
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
4.5 (2 reviews)
Views
862

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.