Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Ceasebury: Chapter Sixteen
Ceasebury: Chapter Sixteen

Ceasebury: Chapter Sixteen

Mitzi1776Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik

The day of the ball drew around fast. Even from the morning, Gabriella and I were getting ready. Valentine hadn’t come to see me again; I think he realised just how dangerous the implications of what we did were (and what would have happened if someone had found out). We had written, he had reminded me of his promise of a proposal, and I had promised him a beautiful girl to wed. I hoped I would meet his expectations. As evening drew in closer from across the mountains, I found myself continually thinking about the letter Dorian had sent me, could it all be true?

I knew I would have to tell Theodosia soon, although I knew it would be one of the most difficult conversations of my life. I watched her get ready for the ball. She was going to meet Charles tonight (she thought) and I was so truly hopeful for her that he would be everything she wanted in a husband and that he would like her. Love her, even. That’s what’s supposed to make a happy marriage, isn’t it? Love. Love like I had for Valentine. Love like he had for me. He was going to propose tonight. Tonight was the night we would tell the story of when they ask when did you choose your wife? And he will tell the story of this night, when he asked me to marry him in front of a ballroom full of people.

Just the thought that by this time tomorrow everything will have changed was so hopelessly ridiculous to.

And Charles. Would be dance with Gabriella? I hoped so, if she had somewhere to go, I would feel far better about leaving Ceasebury, which I knew I would have to when I married Valentine. My thoughts were interrupted by the bellowing chime of the clockface, it was seven, the carriage would be here soon. Taking a deep breath, I took Gabriella’s hand and we began the walk down the staircase to the ground floor and then to the front entrance of the house, where a huge coach in gold was awaiting us. Gabriella was dressed in in a pale cream dress which seemed a little long for her, but complimented her a lot more than her usual yellow dresses. I wondered what had prompted this change. I didn’t ask her.

We both got into the carriage with the help of the footman and my mother entered the carriage behind. The doors slammed in conjunction with a heavy thud. I was dressed in pink, my bodice laced with crystals. We sat side by side in the carriage. Gabriella was fidgeting, somewhat uneasily. She looked at me for a moment without speaking.

“Theodosia,” she whispered “I need to ask you to do something for me.” She paused.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Well, Charles and I have been writing for a few days now and he had made arrangements this evening for us.”

“What kind of arrangements?” I questioned her.

“We are to leave he ball and be wed illegally by a priest in Williamsburg that he knows from the military.”

“What?” I shouted.

“Keep your voice down.” She whispered, alarmed. “At about nine, him and I are going to sneak out of the ball and get married in the chapel across the street.”

“But, will you be coming back to Ceasebury tonight?”

“No, we are going to hide in the barracks and spend the night there. Thatd where he’s stationed at the moment, at the Barracks in Willimasburg. He has a little room there.”

“You can’t live in the barracks!” I shouted.

“Be quiet. No one can know about this. We have to get married quickly because in two days he’s being sent out to fight. I love him with all my heart.” I blinked hurriedly at this sudden news. Why hadn’t she told me sooner? My head was swimming. “I need you to distract everyone for long enough that me and him can get out.” Well, I knew that wasn’t going to be a problem, I had the biggest distraction of the season probably in Valentine’s pocket at this very moment. The carriage sped on faster as we pulled out of the Ceasebury Estate.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Mitzi1776
Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
5 May, 2021
Words
707
Read Time
3 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
432

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.