Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Ceasebury: Chapter Twenty-Four
Ceasebury: Chapter Twenty-Four

Ceasebury: Chapter Twenty-Four

Mitzi1776Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik

Atop Hermes, I sat behind Valentine as we galloped through the rolling fields of Virginia. It was almost six and Dorian had returned home to Kingston Grove, while Gabriella and Charles had begun back to the barracks. I felt so glad to have Valentine’s muscular body under my hands as we rode, realising only now how ineffective I would have been in stopping that duel if Valentine had been using real bullets. I buried my face into his back and shut my eyes. I could not wait to become his wife. For the first time, I had a proper look at my engagement ring; it was made of diamonds and blue chalcedony and glistened in the early morning sun.

As we approached Williamsburg, I couldn’t help but notice the military presence, even at the gate. Red coats with muskets were stationed everywhere. It was as if they were waiting for an attack. Luckily, as we entered the town, no one attempted to stop us. Valentine leapt from the stead and helped me off after him, proceeding to tie Hermes up to a wooden plank by the bridle. He took my hand and pulled me through the Williamsburg streets.

The sights I saw in that street shocked me and I couldn’t help wondering if Gabriella had noticed them or if she had even come this way. The women who were in this quarter dressed very differently from myself; while I wore petticoats and a bonnet, they were dresses in shabby clothes and often no hat, or even scarf. Many of them help babies and young children in their arms who screamed and cried while older children attempted to help their mother keep them quiet. It was very different to the far off image of a parent as one who was rarely there, one really emerging at dinner and when there were guests, a wet nurse taking on mother of the hands on duties. We passed many small brick houses and their painted doors and open windows which let in all the blazes of the summer. What truly astonished me was that these women didn’t seem to be unhappy. No, on the contrary, they seemed to smile as they went about their business. All eyes turned to me as I hurried through the streets. I switched around as I felt a tugging on my skirt.

“Miss,” a little voice called. I looked down to see a young girl of about eleven or twelve with messy hair “are you Miss Gabriella?” she asked.

“What?” I asked.

“We are all looking out for Miss Gabriella, the lady who went missing from the ball last night. Are you her?” she asked.

“Oh, no, sorry.” I said, quite taken aback.

“Oh, okay, sorry to bother you Miss.” She said “We’re just all very worried about her.” I smiled as she let go of my skirt. Valentine pulled me away.

“We’re here.” He said. We stood outside a large brick building with serval large double windows with their shutters firmly shut until the evening. One of the double doors at the front of the establishment was open. “Shall we?” Valentine asked. I nodded. He walked into the entrance hall first, I followed. The sight at the other side of the door shocked me. It was a drinking house. Through the large room was almost empty now, there was a vast array of wooden stools scattered here and there and there was a large counter over at the other end of the room. A man with greying hair sat with his back to the room behind it. Valentine looked sceptically around the room as if waiting for something to jump out. It didn’t. We approached the counter.

“I’m afraid, we are closed at the moment, if you want to stay for a drink you will have to come back later.” The man said as he turned around.

“How about if we want to borrow a book?” I asked, smirking.

“Oh,” the man’s eyes widened “are you Miss Theodosia Ceasebury?” he said, seemingly scrutinising my face as he spoke.

“Yes.” I said, surprised. “How do you know me?” I asked.

“You write to me often, I’m Edward Jameston.”

“Yes, I guessed, but how do you know who I am?”

“Who else would waltz into my little establishment in such a gown?” he smirked at me, his green eyes glinting over the counter.

“Gabriella?” I questioned.

“Well, yes, but I know you’re not her.” He said decisively.

“How?” I asked.

“I just know.” He seemed to look upwards slightly, as if gazing towards some unknown star which must have been being chased away by the morning light. “Well, she’d have blond hair and green eyes, wouldn’t she? And she’d have come in here with a red coat on her arm.” He nodded to himself, almost seeking reassurance.

“Yes, she does.” I smiled. “And I need her to stay here.” He looked at me with widened eyes. “All of Williamsburg is looking for her and she’s been staying at the barracks and its only a matter of time before –“ he cut me off.

“Before they find her.” He said.

“Yes.” I said.

“Of course, she can come here.” He said, his green eyes twinkling with some king of anticipation. “How is she?” he asked.

“Well, she’s Gabriella.” I smiled. “She’s always very happy, despite what happens.” He seemed to nod approvingly.

“And her husband?” he asked.

“He’s pretty charming, he’s a Red Coat Captain. They started writing to each other only a few days ago. He’s a little older than her.” I said.

“Only a few days?” he asked in surprise. I nodded. “Well, he must be very charming.” He laughed slightly.

“Gabriella and Charles are coming back to Williamsburg at the moment, I’ll tell them they can come here.”

“He’s called Charles? Nice name, very British.” He sniggered. “Yes, well, its okay, I’ll hang out by the entrance to the barracks and let her know, you go back home.”

“Oh –“ I was cut off.

“Father, who are you talking to?” a young girl ducked her head around from the corner. She had dirty blonde hair and green eyes and wore a kind of serious smile which seemed to suit her. She wore a purple dress, her hair tied behind her ears.

“No one, Chantilly. It’s just Theodosia here about Gabriella.” He said, smiling.

“Oh,” Chantilly smiled “is she coming?” she asked.

“Yes.” He smiled with a certain hidden jubilance.

“Well, sorry to disturb you, but we could hear you talking in the study.”

“Oh, we’ll be quieter.” He smiled. She nodded and left back the way she had come. “You should go.” He said, turning back to Valentine and I. “You’re drawing attention in all your fine feathers.” He laughed. I smiled and thanked him readily for all he was doing for Gabriella, even though I wasn’t entirely sure why he was doing it and left the brothel with Valentine.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Mitzi1776
Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik
About This Story
Audience
18+
Posted
8 Jul, 2021
Words
1,160
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
500

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.