Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Changed Royalty
Changed Royalty

Changed Royalty

MJRMarie Jay Rose

Their assassination attempts keep counteracting each other, much to their mutual chagrin.The poisoned dart my uncle hid behind a door took out the handmaiden my aunt sent with poisoned wine, the adder she slipped into his bedsheets was killed by the scorpion he'd hidden in his robe, the bandits he'd hired to kill and rob my father- the king- fell into the trap she'd set for his horse.

When they do end up murdering our father or, maybe he dies of natural causes, despite all the efforts, our aunt arranges for his children- aka us, to be sent off to a boarding school in another land, far away from Atetus, and for our ship to be 'lost' at sea.

Uncle, meanwhile, arranges for us to be kidnapped and slain by enemy spies.

"What are you going to do with us?" asked my brother Adrian, clinging to my arm. "He's going to kill us," I said. "Obviously he's an assassin, and he's going to kill us both and hide our bodies. Isn't that right, mister?" But," I add on, noticing I scared Adrian, "you aren't doing that good of a job." My hands were on my hips, my sassy side coming out.

The guy rubbed his neck, smiling sheepishly as he glanced between us. "Well, that was the plan," he admitted. "Your aunt ordered me to have you drowned at sea. I took the money and was ready to get on with it, but then your uncle ordered me to slit your throats and leave you at the border." He shrugged. "Obviously I can't do both, and if I fail either job, well, that's my head on a spear for all to see. Looks like I'm screwed either way!" "So set us free!" I exclaimed. "Why not? You've got nothing to lose!" "You're only children," said the assassin. "If I free you, you'll just get yourselves killed, or eaten by bears.”

I glared, crossing my arms, Adrian following. “I can take care of myself, and I watched this wild thing many times.” I say pointing to the six year old beside me.

The assassin shook his head. “No... I have a better idea." He grinned, and drew the twin daggers from the sheaths at his hips. My brother flinched at the flashes of steel and inches away from the sharp blades, while I reached forward to touch them before pulling my hand away. Who knows what he was thinking?

The assassin laughed and offered us the hilts. "How would you two like to become very, very good at killing people? You're in need of a guardian, I've always wanted kids..." he trailed off, grinning sweetly. "What are we waiting for?" We exchanged looks, and silently accepted the offered daggers.

I was actually pretty excited. I always thought warrior princesses were fairy tales, but now, it would become a reality, but first I had a question. “Are we able to change our names?”

The assassin nodded. “I’m Adofo by the way. And what shall I call you?” We thought for a minute, then Adrian spoke up. “Bishop. Call me Bishop.” They then turned to look at me. “I’m not Becka anymore.” I said finally. “I’m Brina.”

Author Notes: This is the beginning of one of my favorite Original Characters, Briana Zaline. More will come later with her adventures and expirences with Craven, the prince of Faredale.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
MJR
Marie Jay Rose
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
12 May, 2022
Words
535
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
314

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.