Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Chapter 42. Sound at Sea
Chapter 42. Sound at Sea

Chapter 42. Sound at Sea

CobraElizabeth Lin Johnson

Sailing with William was limited due to our schedules and sailing weather requirements. While we sailed again, there was no more boat sex. It was just too complicated.

William knew the Puget Sound and enjoyed showing its nuances as Edward once did with the San Francisco Bay Area. We made two long overnight sailing trips, first to Port Townsend and then La Conner, sailing out of from Bremerton. Each required a husband's extended business trip and proper sailing conditions.

At night we stayed at inns to assuage my boat sleeping quarters claustrophobia and landlubber bed preference. The next morning, we sailed back to Bremerton and then I drove home. William was a good captain but sailing required his full attention as he tacked about in the Sound.

I simply sat back, enjoyed the silence of no motor’s whine and listened to the whispers of waves and wind as we skimmed along. With only occasional minor sailing duties, my interest waned, as William rushed to tack and steer. The trips changed my image of Puget Sound as seen from land, just as a flyover changes one's impression from ground level. Once we saw a pod of orcas. They were exciting, beautiful, but to me, scary, too big and wild to be seen up close while on the water.
Port Townsend is noted for its Victorian houses due to a boom that went bust. The town is nicknamed the "City of Dreams" because of the early expectations it would be the largest harbor in the Pacific Northwest once a rail line was extended to it. The rail line, however, when it finally came, ended at Seattle and turned Port Townsend’s dream into an economic, overbuilt nightmare.

The 1890s boom resulted in numerous Victorian mansions which became ghost remnants of the lost dream. Finally, eighty years late, during the 1970s, it became a tourist and retirement community with a redeveloped retail and restaurant waterfront.

I’d never been there due to its isolation by road. William delighted in being able to show a newbie this hidden gem. After our long sail up, he secured the boat in the harbor, and we walked up the hill and spent a night at a bread and breakfast Victorian mansion.

The elderly innkeeper assumed we were married, fussed over us and asked about our children while William diverted her with sailing stories.

Settled in, we walked to a quaint restaurant and with dinner and a few drinks wobbled back up the endless, spiral staircase. In our room, we enjoyed alcohol enfeebled sex until at last William was capable to perform a small completion while I enjoyed the view of the harbor.

With a sober saddle horn in the morn, we had a tryst on the Victorian canopied bed after room service tea. Afterward, we trooped down to the breakfast nook, holding hands, to the approval of the innkeeper and ate a hearty breakfast with eggs, bacon and hash brown in which she was kind enough to add fried onions.

For another sailing voyage, we went to La Conner on Swinomish Channel between Padilla and Skagit Bays. We walked the enchanting rustic waterfront esplanade before it was revitalized to stainless steel, fiberglass and tourist emblems for retired couples to stroll along.

At night, we stayed at the Plantation Hotel, a historic two-story building on South First Street, just off the water. Our second-floor room faced the street and we watched tourists stroll below while drinking a nightcap in the evening and again while drinking coffee in the morning. The hotel reminded me of the rendezvous pad Elliot and I once shared.

In the evening we dined at Palmer Lighthouse with its great bar looking out at the channel, sad to say now gone with revitalization. The bartender had the ability to make a decent Singapore Sling. Our Plantation bed had down blankets. After drinks, lobster dinner, a B & B nightcap, and our sex romp, I disappeared into the covers and didn’t wake until nudged to rise in the late morning. We had our morning glory and then a fish and chips brunch at the La Conner Pub, a classic family restaurant with excellent Alaskan codfish.

We boarded the boat and sailed back to Bremerton on a neap tide. At Bremerton, I debarked and drove home with hours to spare before hubby’s return.


It was as if we were middle-aged lovers, but they were only two-timer dates, once at night and then a morning sunrise. William was a lightweight bed contender with a modest libido. He followed a sexual ritual, a kiss, a touch of oral, me atop, a little doggy and his missionary finish, all completed with little if anything said. and never rushed. He kept a lot to himself. I suspected his divorce had permanently marred him from trusting women. He did teach me the pleasure of a mustache brushed against my clitoris.

One benefit of my libidinousness was discovering new places with a lover and then introducing hubby to them, with faithfulness adjustments. I justified these on the basis we would never have discovered them on our own. Afterward, I took hubby to La Conner with a night booked at the Plantation Hotel, on the other second-floor room facing the street, opposite the corridor from the one spent with William. We dined at the same restaurants but at different tables and spent the morning leisurely shopping before driving home instead of sailing. I also took him to Port Townsend but to a different bed and breakfast.

In hindsight, these were double betrayals, no matter the faithfulness adjustments.

My final sailing adventure was to be a trip to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. As we sailed past Port Townsend and entered the open waters of Puget Sound, however, the waves picked up and the boat heaved and rocked. Soon I was seasick. It was a long trip back and once ashore again I was a mess.

I didn't care what I looked like. I only wanted off the boat. Those who do not get seasick don't understand. I used a washcloth to clean my face and hair of the obvious, got in the car and rushed home. At home, in the shower, I vowed never to go to sea again. It’s a vow kept except for Puget Sound ferries and a Mediterranean Greek cruise ship with hubby.

Author Notes: Adulterous wife meets young man building a deck who proclaims his intention of dating her while she visits her lover.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Cobra
Elizabeth Lin Johnson
About This Story
Audience
18+
Posted
22 Mar, 2019
Words
1,061
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
1,015

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.