Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Crab Mentality
Crab Mentality

Crab Mentality

GoldenbuttonRustedsoul

I have come across this theory of crab mentality. I have heard people giving examples about this.
She: I am in a toxic work environment, they don’t want me to grow.

He(consoling voice): We are like “CRABS IN BUCKET”.

This is where my curiosity kicked in. I wanted to know all about this so called CRAB MENTALITY. So, I knew only Google could answer my questions. I did not wanted to get it from someone else. One thing I know about human beings, Perspective may vary from person to person. I was not ready to load myself with someone else’s way of thinking.

I went through many theories. I was not convinced.

I came to know about crabs. Since crabs aren’t good swimmers, they have to walk through surfaces including sand, rocks and some of their kind needs to climb palm tree to survive.

That is it.

When crabs are kept in bucket, they try to get out of it. Bucket being a SMOOTH surface. It’s hard for them to get out of it. So, they try hard. All of them. When one of them are succeeding, the others are still struggling. In this process the other one tries to find something to hold on. This is where they grab the one who is almost at the edge to get out of bucket.

Though the grip being loose, all of them fall back.

And we humans generalize it to “crab mentality”. “If I can’t have it , neither can you”

Let’s take a pause here.

Instead of whining about being pulled down. Why can’t a person work on their grip?

Why?

Cause it’s easier. It’s easy to blame others for our own failures. So when we are out of words. We pull in CRABS.

If the grip is strong, one can let people to hang on.

So here I am giving you one more excuse to make. Instead of calling out a crab try to be a swing. Strong enough to let people hang in on you.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Goldenbutton
Rustedsoul
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
16 Apr, 2020
Words
337
Read Time
1 min
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
2,950

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.