Please register or login to continue

Register Login

From a medical intern who is utterly happy delivering lab results
From a medical intern who is utterly happy delivering lab results

From a medical intern who is utterly happy delivering lab results

HudaFatimaHudaFatima

It’s half past three in the afternoon and I don’t have to run to register that punch. Gosssshhh! Those 3:50pm punches. Can’t say that I miss them. Heck! this is a first time I am even thinking about it since I graduated. Yes! Yes! I finally graduated med school. Finally. Don’t know if it’s equivalent to Monica’s seven seven seven from my favourite sitcom, F.R.I.E.N.D.S but it definitely is something.

Life definitely hasn’t eased on the stress front but can’t complain. Medical intern here in my country comprises mostly of running around with lab results. Different kinds of lab. It’s a good work. Okay, scratch that. It’s awful. 😀 who would enjoy delivering lab results? Obviously no one. But if you do, there’s a benefit to it. You can scan the listed test names and then read about their significance later when inside your den. I at times end up asking my upper levels about it. They are a pretty cool bunch. Overworked, but damn!!! so into their chosen field of residency. I swore! I find them every morning with more energy than a day before. And me being me, I ask about that too. I mean it’s absolutely marvellous to watch my residents multitasking. When I leave, they are still at the hospital. And when I rejoin the next morning, they are again here. I mean when do they rest? Do they even rest? And I am awestruck.

I am already into my third posting. And it’s been great. Great because honestly I had given up hope. Hope that I would graduate. Completing class lags is no fun. It took the best of me and left me with shattered pieces of my confidence. I think the only reason I could make it is because of my perseverance. I think when you have already come face to face with your most dreadful fear, it changes you. You learn not to give up even when all the nerves in your body screams otherwise. Then it happened. I moved an inch ahead from where I was last year this month and that feels pretty amazing.

So far I got to see list of surgical cases, couple of minor procedures, few breathtaking OR scenes and lots of investigations getting ordered. But those stories are for some other time. For now I can say I am kinaa of elated. Tired but mostly, I am simply happy.

These days 4pm in the evening has a different meaning and so does 8amS, and 9amS, and 10amS, and 1pmS, and 2pmS, and that 3:50 in the afternoon. Although I do know that I got tonnes of hoops to jump through to reach where exactly I want to be but heck! in this moment, I am me and that me is happy and I am grateful for that.

Author Notes: Don’t listen to those loud voices of doubt in your head. Meditate on those little voices which is trying to breakthrough your fear of uncertainty. Listen to that voice which says that You will make it through.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
HudaFatima
HudaFatima
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
4 Mar, 2021
Words
474
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
1,578

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.