Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Hero
Hero

Hero

ThomastheRayThomas Ray

Above the mountain desert, above the small town, above the twisted little neighbourhood at its western edge, the sky sounded like it would burst at any moment. Compared to this, thunder was a lullaby.

One small house, one of the few that hadn't been evacuated, was doing its best to keep the rain out. The rain poured down in waves, slamming down on the aging shingles with every rhythmic gust of wind, streaming off the roof like a hundred miniature waterfalls. The raingutters had fallen off hours ago.

For now, the house was doing alright.

Inside the house, in the giant master bedroom closet, a family of three huddled against each other, curled up in cozy quilts, listening to dad read a book.

"The people screamed! The monsters were trying to break down the door! But--"

"I know this part!" The boy interjected, pulling the book from his father's fingers. "But Agent Brave wasn't gonna let the door break. He cast a spell to keep it standing and told everyone to stop crying. The monsters pounded the door with their monster hands but they couldn't break it."

He stopped reading just as another gust of wind and water rattled the building. Mom lifted the book up from the boy's lap, gesturing at the page.

"Keep going, buddy."

The boy looked at her with wide eyes.

"Did he cast a spell to keep the walls standing?"

"I'm sure he did. The monsters won't get through the walls."

"But it doesn't say he did! Maybe he didn't think of it."

"If they do get through," dad said gently, "He'll beat the monsters up. They won't stand a chance against Agent Brave."

"But what if he doesn't make it?"

"Well... I guess I could take care of the rest, if Agent Brave is okay with that."

The kid let out a shakey laugh.

"But dad, you aren't Agent Brave, you're Agent Cool, and you can't cast spells."

"Well hey, I can try to cast spells."

"But dad--"

"How about I try to cast spells when the monsters get here. Until then, Agent Brave will keep them away. Sound good?"

"Okay." He pondered that for a moment. "Can you finish the story?"

So under a breaking sky, sheltered by a frail man-made roof, dad finished the story.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
ThomastheRay
Thomas Ray
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
29 Mar, 2021
Words
383
Read Time
1 min
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
701

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.