Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Hidden

Hidden

By Amber Jones - 3 Reviews

Dampness lingers in the midnight air. Aniya stood frozen on the frigid grey pavement, cold sweat trickled down her brow, slicking her skin and jet black hair.

Nearby, an unidentifiable sound interupted the strangly calm night, pricking at Aniya’s nerves, repeating every few seconds. Her breath caught in her throat as a long shadow cleaved through the light spilling from a street lamp just around the corner ahead of her.

She considered turning back, if she’d known they’d find her she never would’ve come. But it was to late now. A piercing cold crept in around her as the shadow approached,

“What’s a young lady like you doing out past curfew?” Asked a silky voice from somewhere in the ominous shadow.

“Oh, I don’t know. Just out for a walk.” She threw sarcasm into her words as she spoke. Everyone knew that they were supposed to be indoors by sundown, and anyone outside past that curfew, in the eyes of the law, were up to no good. “Why don’t you show yourself?”

The shadow chuckled, a hard, unfriendly laugh that caused her to shiver. “Alright.” The voice agreed, before stepping into the street light. He was tall, taller than most in the city. He wore a trench coat over a striped suit, his blonde hair slicked back, his hazel eyes glinting in the light.

Aniya caught the glint of what must’ve been the Fazer that all police carried around, clutched in the man’s grasp. He wasn’t dressed like a policeman, so what was he up to?

“Who ar-” The man held up a finger to silence her,

“You do not get to ask the questions. It doesn’t matter who I am, more importantly who are you Aniya?”

Aniya backed away at this, could this man know her?

He laughed, “Now, now Aniya. If you don’t answer my question there will be consequences.” He gestured to the Fazer at his side,

“I’m Aniya Hueler.”

“That’s not what I meant. You’re not Aniya Hueler, so what are you doing here?”

“I don’t know what you mean.” Aniya insisted,

“I think you do.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The man’s serious look melted into a hard frown.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you. The Syvic will wipe you in no time.” At this Aniya panicked, taking a chance she turned and ran. Her legs churned frantically, but her escape was cut short. A flash of silver appeared in the corner of her vision and before she could get away blinding white light sliced through the cold night and a series of pains erupted her head.

She stumbled to the concrete, clutching her head in an attempt to dampen the extreme pain. Unconsciousness threatened to envelope her and before the darkness crowded every crack of awareness, Aniya sensed the man saying something.

“I warned you and I’m sorry.”

Before she could process the man’s words, the shadows washed over her. She had one thought: Anything’s better than this pain. And she sank into the cold blanket of darkness.

Author Notes: I'm fairly new at this, and honestly this sort of just came out when I started typing. I really don't know where to go with it next and it's not really a short story, but I thought I'd post this anyway

Recommend Reviews (3) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
MistyJJP
Amber Jones
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
17 Dec, 2018
Type
Words
506
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
4.7 (3 reviews)
Views
2,105

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.