Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Higher Ground (another Purdey, Symes and Wright story)

Higher Ground (another Purdey, Symes and Wright story)

By PeterHunter

Higher Ground… (another Purdy, Symes and Wright story)

by Peter Hunter


… I like to rest or sleep, high up - where I can easily see who is around me…
particularly the boys, Symes and Wright. Yesterday, after our short morning conference in the tractor shed - Mum and Dad were still lazily in bed so I thought I would also take a nap - in the kitchen where I could be he first in the queue for breakfast.
Normally it is my practice to sleep on the top of the coffee machine, a habit my Mum says is unhygienic - so now she covers it with a tea towel for me to lie on…
… but today for a change I decided to seek higher ground and jumped further up - onto the lower shelf of the units adjoining the wall.
Unfortunately one of Mum's ornate flower decorated vases had got there first. Cat plus vase equals - something has to go to make room…
… a Chinese vase left to Mum by her mother and treasured…
As and I was stronger and heavier than the vase, it went…
… bouncing down to the top of the coffee machine then down to the slate-tiled floor. Result - about five-hundred-thousand shards of the china and a horrendous loud crash.
Following fast footsteps downstairs, Dad appeared.
'Purdey - you bad, bad cat…' he bellowed.
How he knew enough to blame me - I will never know. Staying motionless and with my eyes closed tight, I feigned innocence…
… but I knew that with the delayed breakfast and a temporary lack of affection that I was the prime suspect…

End

© Peter Hunter 2012

Peter Hunter's full-length thrillers are available on Kindle

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
PeterHunter
PeterHunter
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
17 Jul, 2012
Genre
Type
Words
284
Read Time
1 min
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
2,877

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.