Please register or login to continue

Register Login

I Want To Be Like You
I Want To Be Like You

I Want To Be Like You

AuronAuron
3 Reviews

The silent hospital room was not as comforting as her father promised it'd be. She wondered if her mother could even stand the nurses who were just playing an act. Pretending that everything was going to be just fine when it wasn't.

Displaying a fake smile just to get their cash and go back to their perfect, complete family. It shattered Sky's heart into a million pieces to find hatred towards them. Her mother always told her to be kind to everyone.

But now she was here, in a very uncomfortable looking hospital bed, wearing only but an ugly looking night-gown. "I'll get you something prettier," Sky had promised. Her mother burst out into uncontrollable laughter and tears streamed down her face.

Sky blinked in confusion. "Are you alright, Mommy?" she questioned, genuinely concerned. "Yes, my baby. I'll just miss your innocent, stubborn remarks," she laughed, the tears still falling.

Sky looked scared and broke down into sobs. "You said you'd always be here, Mommy! You lied!" she shrieked, voice wobbly. Her mother looked hurt and started to cry again. "I'm sorry, my dear." she whispered.

"Okay, that's enough, Sky." her father said sternly, leading the ten year old out of the room. "No! I want to see Mommy!" Sky screamed, acting as if she were a toddler.

They said nothing as they drove home. They said nothing as they ate dinner. They said nothing as they went to bed. They were just left alone with their pessimistic thoughts.

Sky woke up in a blurry daze and pulled out a wrinkled picture out of her pocket. It was her mother, her beautiful hair vanished. She let the tears torrent out of her eyes as she stared.

"Mommy's still beautiful," she whispered, stroking her mother's face. She led herself to the bathroom that dreary morning with a razor in her hand. "I want to be like you," she breathed as she turned it on and shaved her head.

The beautiful locks of hair fell from her head and she screamed and cried as she finished. She missed her hair terribly and cringed as she felt her bald head.

She went through everything her mother had as she lost her hair. "I don't need it. If Mommy doesn't, then I don't either!" she growled at herself with determination.

"Sky, we have to go to the hospital now." her father hissed suddenly, words cold as ice. Sky fumbled with the razor in fear and it ended up tumbling to the floor. She hadn't realized he walked in.

Her father rubbed his eyes with exhaustion, obviously not quite awaken yet, and when he opened them, he shrieked. "SKY! WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR?!" he demanded.

"I'm like Mommy now." came the response. Her father paced the floor in exasperation. "I still can't believe you would do something like that." he muttered. "But we have to go now!" he said suddenly and practically threw Sky into the car.

It was a silent, stressed ride to the hospital. Sky glared at the nurses who gave a her a friendly smile in return. They walked into the hospital room for what seemed like the billionth time.

"Mommy!" Sky ran to her mother happily, falling into her loving arms. They were both crying hysterically. "Oh my, Sky what happened to you, my dear?" she asked, lips parted in suprise.

"I want to be like you, Mommy." she sobbed, voice cracking wistfully. Her mother's grip on her released and she stared into her daughter's brilliant yellow eyes.

"I love you, Sky. More than anything in the world. Don't forget that, my darling. Don't ever forget that!" she warned, a warming smile spread across her lips as she took her last breath.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

"NO!!!! MOMMY!!!!" Sky screamed, writhing in cold anger. "Sky, come on." her father sobbed. It was the first time she'd seen him cry. There was nothing they could do.

"I just want to be like you," Sky whispered and entwined her fingers into her mother's for one final time.

Author Notes: Wow, this was sad to write. Dedicated to any who has lost a loved one to cancer.

Recommend Reviews (3) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Auron
Auron
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
15 Jan, 2017
Words
674
Read Time
3 mins
Favorites
6 (View)
Recommend's
2 (View)
Rating
4.7 (3 reviews)
Views
5,904

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.