Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Insomnia
Insomnia

Insomnia

Entangled_Fate🌸Fate
3 Reviews

2:03 am

"Ugh, I can't sleep and it is killing me." It was two days already since I had any kind of sleep. It was weird that I couldn't shut my eyes for any kind of sleep. I was just like some zombie that roamed the earth looking for a purpose. My doctor told me that days like this would happen, that my disease would get worse to the point of sickness.

"Well it is your fault for staying up all those nights," a husky manly voice said.

I jumped in surprise. "Who is there?" I didn't understand what was going on. My whole family was asleep, but I heard a creepy voice come from out of nowhere.

"Just face it. You're not going to get any better." He came out of my closet and I couldn't believe who I saw. It was my old classmate Leonard.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in the house?" I loudly whispered to him, because I was afraid of waking someone.

"I'm just visiting an old friend." He started to walk towards me.

"You take another step and I will call the police." I was lying to him. I knew if I did, my parents would kill me for waking them.

"Naomi, we both know you won't." He took another step closer toward me. I freaked out and threw the thing that was closest to me. When I did, it went right through him. I gasped.

"Are y-you dead? Wait, are you a ghost?" He just looked at me, as he went to sit on the chair near my bed.

I kept looking at him, shocked. I was too afraid to say anything, so we just sat there for a few minutes in silence.

"Figure it out."

"Huh?" I looked at him stupidly.

"Figure out what I am." He stared at me blankly. I really just couldn't believe I talked to either a ghost or whatever it was. I just took a deep breath and lay on my bed.

2:59 am

I heard a knock on my door, which startled me for a second. "Uh, who is there?"

The knock got louder. I got up and answered the door to find my mother. "You should be asleep." Her face looked very tired. That told me she really didn't care what I had to say.

"I was just writing again," I simply lied to her. She put her head in my room and looked around lazily. Then she just nodded and went back to bed. I closed my door and walked back to my bed, where Leonard startled me again.

"Why did you lie to your mother?" he questioned in an irritating voice.

"Well I'm not going to say I have a dead old classmate haunting me at 3 o'clock in the morning." I swore I saw him smirk at me for a second. The asshole Leonard actually showed emotion to another person. I thought I would never see the day when that happened. Then somehow, I couldn't stop staring at him. His appearance hadn't changed that much since the last time I saw him. His hair was still a pitch-black hair of despair and a little longer. He was the same height but what made me gaze longer at him were his blue eyes. They seemed to be darker than usual, which made him look as if he thought something evil or something, but I just continued staring at his eyes and getting lost in them.

"You cut your hair." I came back to reality, when he said that.

"Oh yeah, do you like it?" He just shrugged his shoulders at me. That got me a little angry, just the typical Leonard being an ass as usual.

"What is your opinion of life?" he whispered softly.

He seemed sad by the look he gave, but I just answered his question. "Well, I don't know, there are many opinions ..." He cut me off.

"I asked about yours." He looked at me with a cold expression.

"Fine, I don't have one that I can tell you about. The likes of you will just twist my words and make it sound bad." I raised my voice with a bitter angry tone.

"Then I will tell you my opinion about it." I just looked at him so he could continue. "I think there is no reason in it. As my mother use to say, hundreds would die each day, young, old, crazy, sane, good, evil and each just died like it was nothing, with no meaning or cause to affect anyone."

I laughed a little. "Continue, why don't you."

He nodded. "In simple terms, life is just a big circle of nothing. So, that leads me to another question. Is life worth living? The answer is it isn't. There is constant pain and loneliness people suffer every day. You know who that is don't you. I'm right aren't I?"

I just sat there quietly for a second in deep thought. I was about to answer him, when I lifted my head up to look at him, but I looked around my room and he disappeared. I looked at the clock.

4:49 am

"Well it is time to get ready for the day." I got up and did my usual routine. I took my sister to work, came back and cooked breakfast for my parents. When I finished cooking, I took my brothers to school. Around ten, I went to the gym and exercised until one. I came back home and cleaned until everyone came back. I made dinner and helped my brother with his homework. After I completed everything, I took a nice shower and went to bed.

12:56 am

When I walked into my room, I felt someone watching me. "You can come out."

"Tiring day I see." He came out of my closet again.

"What do you want now?" I sneered at him and in return, he looked at me surprised.

"I just want to visit."

"Don't you have other people to haunt beside me?" He didn't answer and I started to get annoyed. My left eye started to twitch, when he just sat on my bed.

"Just end your life." He looked at me coldly.

"Excuse me? What did you just say?" He got up and started to walk toward me.

"I know what you are thinking, you haven't slept in three days now and you are tired of doing things all by yourself." I didn't know it, but I started to move back against the wall. He was right in front of me and he placed his right hand on my check. "It is written all over your face, Naomi. As I said yesterday anyway, you agreed there is no r..." I cut him off calmly.

"I didn't agree. If you stayed longer yesterday, I would have told you then what I really thought. That life was worth living, that I got up each day with a goal. My goal is to be happy and help others on the way. Even, if I get tired and I am sick of doing things I hate doing. I will continue to do it because it makes me happy. I will not look at the negative ways of living. I will look at the positive no matter what. So you're wrong Leonard." He just looked at me, stunned. "What's the matter? Are you surprised I don't agree with you anymore? Or is it the fact that I didn't listen to a pathetic person such as you?"

He just withdrew his hand from my face and stepped back a few feet. "No, that isn't what you think. You want to end your life." He started to laugh hysterically.

"No, that is how I thought a year ago, before I met the people that helped me realize what was good about life." I started to walk closer to him but he moved all the way back into my chair. I just smiled at him. "It is okay Leonard. I know what you are."

He looked at me, scared. "What am I then?"

"You're my insomnia." I gave him a big grin and he gave me the look of 'how did you know.' I just smiled more, "Because only my insomnia thinks of things like this. I just didn't really know why it materialized as you. Then I realized it after taking a shower. You were one of the reasons why I was, as I was in high school. You were the source of my depression and we both know why."

"Then explain why I came to you," he stuttered.

"You tell me."

"I don't know either." He just sat there in wonder. Since that day, he continued to come to me on the days I couldn't sleep but he changed his attitude. He was less dark and gloomy each time he came to visit. We never figured out why he came to me. I guess we will never know. I actually sought the real Leonard. What I heard from him totally shocked me.

Recommend Reviews (3) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Entangled_Fate
🌸Fate
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
5 Apr, 2016
Words
1,514
Read Time
7 mins
Favorites
2 (View)
Recommend's
3 (View)
Rating
4.7 (3 reviews)
Views
6,979

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.