Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Kala, Cat, the Witch and Lambey
Kala, Cat, the Witch and Lambey

Kala, Cat, the Witch and Lambey

SilverOaksSilverOaks
1 Review

Once upon a time there was a small girl called Kala Arlana. She was on the way to see her friend Jason Rokel, when she decided to take a short cut through Fairy Forest.

It wasn't long before Kala got lost. She looked around, but all she could see were trees. Nervously, she felt into her bag for her favourite toy, Lambey, but Lambey was nowhere to be found! Kala began to panic. She felt sure she had packed Lambey. To make matters worse, she was starting to feel hungry.

Unexpectedly, she saw a smooth fur cat dressed in a purple sweater disappearing into the trees.

"How odd!" thought Kala.

For the want of anything better to do, she decided to follow the peculiarly dressed cat. Perhaps it could tell her the way out of the forest.

Eventually, Kala reached a clearing. In the clearing were two houses, one made from carrots and one made from jelly beans.

Kala could feel her tummy rumbling. Looking at the houses did nothing to ease her hunger.

"Hello!" she called. "Is anybody there?"

Nobody replied.

Kala looked at the roof on the closest house and wondered if it would be rude to eat somebody else's chimney. Obviously it would be impolite to eat a whole house, but perhaps it would be considered acceptable to nibble the odd fixture or lick the odd fitting, in a time of need.

A cackle broke through the air, giving Kala a fright. A witch jumped into the space in front of the houses. She was carrying a cage. In that cage was Lambey!

"Lambey!" shouted Kala. She turned to the witch. "That's my toy!"

The witch just shrugged.

"Give Lambey back!" cried Kala.

"Not on your nelly!" said the witch.

"At least let Lambey out of that cage!"

Before she could reply, the smooth fur cat in the purple sweater rushed in from a footpath on the other side of the cleaning.

"Hello Cat," said the witch.

"Good morning." The cat noticed Lambey. "Who is this?"

"That's Lambey," explained the witch.

"Ooh! Lambey would look lovely in my house. Give it to me!" demanded Cat.

The witch shook her head. "Lambey is staying with me."

"Um... Excuse me..." Kala interrupted. "Lambey lives with me! And not in a cage!"

Cat ignored her. "Is there nothing you'll trade?" he asked the witch.

The witch thought for a moment, then said, "I do like to be entertained. I'll release him to anybody who can eat a whole front door."

Cat looked at the house made from jelly beans and said, "No problem, I could eat an entire house made from jelly beans if I wanted to."

"There's no need to show off," said the witch. Just eat one front door and I'll let you have Lambey."

Kala watched, feeling very worried. She didn't want the witch to give Lambey to Cat. She didn't think Lambey would like living with a smooth fur cat, away from her house and all her other toys.

Cat put on his bib and withdraw a knife and fork from his pocket.

"I'll eat this whole house," said Cat. "Just you watch!"

Cat pulled off a corner of the front door of the house made from jelly beans. He gulped it down smiling, and went back for more.

And more.

And more.

Eventually, Cat started to get bigger - just a little bit bigger at first. But after a few more fork-fulls of jelly beans, he grew to the size of a large snowball - and he was every bit as round.

"Erm... I don't feel too good," said Cat.

Suddenly, he started to roll. He'd grown so round that he could no longer balance!

"Help!" he cried, as he rolled off down a slope into the forest.

Cat never finished eating the front door made from jelly beans and Lambey remained trapped in the witch's cage.

"That's it," said the witch. "I win. I get to keep Lambey."

"Not so fast," said Kala. "There is still one front door to go. The front door of the house made from carrots. And I haven't had a turn yet.

"I don't have to give you a turn!" laughed the witch. "My game. My rules."

A woodcutter's voice carried through the forest. "I think you should give her a chance. It's only fair."

"Fine," said the witch. "But you saw what happened to the cat. She won't last long."

"I'll be right back," said Kala.

"What?" said the witch. "Where's your sense of impatience? I thought you wanted Lambey back."

Kala ignored the witch and gathered a hefty pile of sticks. She came back to the clearing and started a small camp fire. Carefully, she broke off a piece of the door of the house made from carrots and toasted it over the fire. Once it had cooked and cooled just a little, she took a bite. She quickly devoured the whole piece.

Kala sat down on a nearby log.

"You fail!" cackled the witch. "You were supposed to eat the whole door."

"I haven't finished," explained Kala. "I am just waiting for my food to go down."

When Kala's food had digested, she broke off another piece of the door made from carrots. Once more, she toasted her food over the fire and waited for it to cool just a little. She ate it at a leisurely pace then waited for it to digest.

Eventually, after several sittings, Kala was down to the final piece of the door made from carrots. Carefully, she toasted it and allowed it to cool just a little. She finished her final course. Kala had eaten the entire front door of the house made from carrots.

The witch stamped her foot angrily. "You must have tricked me!" she said. "I don't reward cheating!"

"I don't think so!" said a voice. It was the woodcutter. He walked back into the clearing, carrying his axe. "This little girl won fair and square. Now hand over Lambey or I will chop your broomstick in half."

The witch looked horrified. She grabbed her broomstick and placed it behind her. Then, huffing, she opened the door of the cage.

Kala hurried over and grabbed Lambey, checking that her favourite toy was all right. Fortunately, Lambey was unharmed.

Kala thanked the woodcutter, grabbed a quick souvenir, and hurried on to meet Jason. It was starting to get dark.

When Kala got to Jason's house, her friend threw his arms around her.

"I was so worried!" cried Jason. "You are very late."

As Kala described her day, she could tell that Jason didn't believe her. So she grabbed a napkin from her pocket.

"What's that?" asked Jason.

Kala unwrapped a doorknob made from jelly beans. "The doornknob!" she said.

Jason almost fell off his chair.

The End

Author Notes: I used a story generator for this as I am having super bad writers block..... send me prompts and I'll try to write you a story.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
SilverOaks
SilverOaks
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
11 Mar, 2020
Words
1,139
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
5.0 (1 review)
Views
2,058

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.