Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Knight of Virtus
Knight of Virtus

Knight of Virtus

BMArnoldBMArnold

At the sound of a horn, the knights fired a blast from their rifles, hoping to catch the other off guard. Both shots ricocheted off each other’s shields and diminished into the air. Trial had begun.

Eigan raised himself from his seat in the bleachers. He, like many of his fellow spectators, intently breathed a memorized countdown.

Ten.

The two knights held their ground at opposing ends of the arena, rifles resting at their sides. Any traces of the knights’ humanity were concealed in black armor. Neither were given a name, but they could be distinguished by distinct patterns of violet painted on their chest plate. Eigan had assigned them the names “Stripes” and “Cross”.

Four.

A taste of blood filled Eigan’s mouth. He developed an annoying habit of chewing on the inside of his cheek whenever he was focusing on something. The habit started young; he would often be seen chewing away on a mouthful of starflower seeds. Eigan blamed his childhood addiction to those seeds on his friend Shani.

One.

The knights mounted their rifles, now with a blue light emanating from the stock, onto their shields. The significantly bulkier Cross crept towards his opponent. Stripes held his ground, eyeing for an opening behind Cross’ shield.

Eigan wished Shani could have been there with him. Ever since his new job at the water manufacturing plant, Shani’s weekends had been booked. Shani loved going to Trials. He would say it gave people something to look forward to; that it was something to distract them from the inescapable reality of being marooned on an asteroid, floating pointlessly through space. Shani was dramatic like that.

Stripes crept towards the center of the arena. Cross approached a few meters away, flanking Stripes’ right side so that he would need to contort his body to keep himself shielded.

Eigan’s eyes wandered to the open sky above him. Shani’s eyes were constantly fixed on those stars above their heads, as if he expected the view to ever change. Eigan’s eyes lowered slightly and fixed on the Governor’s Nest: a luxury box that overlooked the arena. Only the four governors of Virtus, along with select members of their cabinet, could get those seats. Rumor was you could see the entire city from the Governor’s Nest. Now that would be a view.

A rifle blast rang through the arena. Cross pressed his arm against the left side of his mid-section, where the shot must have connected. Stripes resisted to advance, as Cross still held a charged rifle in his hand.

Nine.

Eigan could hear Cross’ strained breathing. There was something oddly satisfying about a seeing a knight in such agony. It was a taste of retribution for all the pain these criminals caused. This was the Virtus justice system, in all its karmic glory.

Two.

Once Cross’ shield began to falter, Stripes rushed his right side. With sudden agility, Cross flicked his rifle and fired a shot into Stripes’ path. The shot punctured the armor on his right calf, plummeting Stripes to his knees.

Stripes quickly regained his footing, but he was visibly shaking.

Seven.

The two knights squared up, now at center stage. An off-balanced Stripes didn’t risk any offensive strike. He held his ground, awaiting his opponent’s move.

Three.

Cross shifted to his left. Stripes stepped back with his right foot to block the assault. Cross then leaped back across Stripes’ body. Stripes twisted himself to face up, causing his back leg to buckle.

One.

Cross swung his rifle over his opponent’s lowered shield, firing just as the barrel passed over Stripes’ helmet. A shriek echoed through the arena. Eigan’s heart jumped. The crowd around him erupted in applause.

Stripes collapsed to the ground, gasping on his hands and knees. Blood poured from the opening in his mutilated helmet. Cross stood triumphantly over his defeated enemy.

Eight.

Stripes strained his neck to peer into the crowd. Eigan caught the eyes of the helpless man. In that moment, Eigan couldn’t help but be reminded of an eight-year-old boy.

Five.

The boy had been kind, innocent. He was the type of boy who wouldn’t hesitate to offer his friendship, along with a fistful of starflower seeds, to the lonely kid who felt he had nothing. Now, that boy had the barrel of a rifle pressed against the back of his bare neck.

Three.

Eigan gazed upon the stars gleaming in the eyes of the defeated knight.

Two.

The same stars that he had always seen in Shani’s eyes.

One.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
BMArnold
BMArnold
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
28 Jun, 2021
Words
753
Read Time
3 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
773

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.