Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Learning to Love and Let Go
Learning to Love and Let Go

Learning to Love and Let Go

SoulsToWriteSoulsToWrite
1 Review

Hi there. This is just a note from the author. I just wanted to let y'all know that I had a great time writing part one of this story. I don't have set dates for when each part will be released but I really hope that y'all enjoy these stories as much as I do! Part One will feel a little bit rushed but that is just the overall style of this first chapter in Kristene Maden's (the main character's) book of her ever-changing life. I hope when I finish this series of short stories, that I will be able to summarise them all into one big short story. These characters are not meant to reflect anyone in real life and are purely made up. If a character pertains to a real person they will be said by name, otherwise, it is merely a coincidence.




You would not believe me if I told you, but I'll tell you anyway.

I'm just a girl from Tyler, Texas. Nothing great ever happens to me, and when it does, it's almost always too good to be true. This was different though. I never saw this coming. It was only a thought in my mind. My little 17-year-old brain could not even comprehend what was unfolding in front of my eyes.


Hold on, let me back-track a second. Let me tell you how this all got started. So my dad has this kind of leadership team at his work that he's in charge of. Every year at the beginning of summer they go on a family retreat to somewhere in the world. This year, we went to California. As a part of the trip, the adults were able to go on a tour of a production studio in Burbank. However, the children were not allowed to attend. In turn, for an odd difference in events, the studio was hosting an open call for the casting of multiple movies and shows. Hundreds of children of all ages, even some young adults, were all in attendance. None of us expected to make it far. None of us had any experience. But they weren't looking for experience, they were looking for talent. I was always told -by multiple drama teachers- that I CAN! NOT! ACT! But that was stage acting. This was for the big screen. I still gave it my all, holding up a foolish sliver of hope that I could fool the casting directors.

We were sectioned into groups based on the way we looked, sounded, some based off gender, or a mix of the bunch. I was put into a group of about 50 girls. We all looked completely different other than the fact that we either had blonde hair blue eyes or brown hair brown eyes. Weird. I figured that it was an odd coincidence, but I tried not to think about it.

"No. Steve said that the world was ending. So I did the same thing that any sensible oddly-strong person would do. I ran into the wormhole, and by the looks of it, you did the same. So I don't want to hear it!" I put on my serious face and tried to react to the woman reading off lines from behind the table like I actually knew what I was doing.

"Maddison that is a completely different situation. I've done this before, multiple times! I told your dad that I would protect and I can't do that with you running towards danger whenever another bad guy comes into the picture! You are going to have to sit this one out. Go back to the base and wait for me. That's the only place that I know you'll be safe.' He reaches for his coms device. 'Pepper. I'm sending Madison your way. Make sure she doesn't leave the base." When the woman had finished the line, she had said it so monotone that I had a hard time mustering what was intended to come next.

I looked down at the paper for the next line. Improve. Oh-no-no-no-no-no. The one thing on God's green Earth that I absolutely suck at... Improve. I struggled to find words to match with what I replaced the monotone speech with as the casting directors stared at me blankly, waiting for what I was going to do next.

"You can't be serious? I was born to fight. Maybe even more so than you! If my father told you to keep me safe and you promised that you would, I don't give a rat's rear. I know he, of all people, should understand my drive to want to fight, to want to be a part of something, to want to write my own. You can send me back to base if you want to, but that doesn't mean that I'll go. Despite what you want me to do, I'm going to fight. Whether you like it or not."

Every inch of me was trembling after the last word was said, but I had never felt so sure about any words I had ever said before in my life.

"Congratulations!" There were two of us standing in the giant room that was originally filled with hundreds. "You two should be proud of what you have accomplished today. You both are now in the running for the lead role, along with three other girls, for a Phenomenon Studios production. Which, yes, means that if you are offered the role, you will have the chance to be on the big screen as a hero. Okay. I know that sounds a little cheesy but it will be worth it. We will be contacting your agents with more information very soon, or if you don't have one, we'll be contacting you directly. Good luck to the both of you."

I could not believe that it was between me and four other girls for a lead role that would change someone's life forever. Unfortunately, my parents didn't believe it either.

"I will never allow you to throw away your life on some foolish piece of crap like acting. Remember when you auditioned for the advanced theatre class at your school?" Yes, sadly I do remember mom! I was rejected. Twice! I can't hold that to the same standards of what was happening right now. This is so different. But I couldn't tell her that. "That's what I thought."

Her harsh words were almost enough to discourage me. Almost. I felt the vibration of my phone deep in my pocket. I reached for it and before my mom could tell me not to answer, "Hello?"

"Hi. My name is Diana Tristan. I'm a casting director for Phenomenon Studios. I'm trying to reach Kristene Maden's agent." I shoved the phone into my dad's hand hoping that would be a better move than into my mom's grip of my life. Luckily he replied confirming the hope I had placed in him. "Um, yes. This is Christofer Maden, uhh, Kristene's agent." The woman replied telling them what I had already said. Luckily they took to her more than they did for me.


It was Christmas Eve and as I anxiously waited by the phone wishing for it to ring. I knew that a part of mom hoped that I wasn't offered the role and would drop this whole acting thing, setting myself back on course for med school. I, on the other hand, had now lost interest in the world of medicine. I only wanted this.

The phone started ringing and my dad snatched it to answer the call before I could process what the number was. They talked on the phone for maybe a total of thirty seconds before the phone was put on speaker. "Hi, Kristene."

By chance -and maybe by fate and a fluke- I got the role. My life was about to change forever and I was not ready for it. It's almost like learning to ride a bike. However, this particular bike is Hollywood and this bike never slows down unless you throw yourself off of it.

My heart was beating so fast. Not because I just got my "Big Break," but because now I have to prove to them that I deserve this. I have to show them that I know what I am doing. Even though I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.


July, in Texas, is hot. Just if you were wondering. A lot has changed since last summer. I've graduated. I started dating Jaxen. I became an actress. The one thing that will never change is the mid-summer Texas heat. I round the last corner of my run as I feel the final drop of cool sweat drop off the tip of my eyebrow. I have also, in addition to everything else, lost a significant amount of weight. I have toned muscles and abs! I'm a superhero now, I guess.

Jaxen is flying with me to L.A. for my first table read with a full cast. I still have no idea who's in this movie but oh my God am I excited to find out. As we board the plane I feel the rush of adrenaline knowing that my life is changing at such a quick pace. I've heard the stories that once you make it, there is no hiding, but I don't believe it. They say that your life becomes the number one display for all of the world to see. This is the trip when I will be announced to the world as Ms. USA, or like my character's everyday normal name, Madison Kenttly, a high school sophomore who came from the past.

I'll admit at times I'm overwhelmed by what's going on, but I know that the best and the worst is yet to come.

Author Notes: Thank you for reading Part One of Learning to Love and Let Go! Part Two will be coming out soon. Please comment 1-5 stars and tell me what you thought about this story. I'm hoping this will be a big project. Lots of love!<3

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
SoulsToWrite
SoulsToWrite
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
10 Dec, 2019
Genre
Type
Words
1,632
Read Time
8 mins
Favorites
2 (View)
Recommend's
2 (View)
Rating
5.0 (1 review)
Views
1,160

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.