Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Lifeless

This story has some quality issues

Lifeless

By Beautyineverything

Piper

Can I Please Find A Person Not Affected By Society. My Sister Called Me Ugly And Said That I Needed To Wear Makeup. I Said That I Don’t Have To Cover Myself In It. Now If I Send This You Will Get On To Me For Having Feelings. This Is How I Feel, I Feel As If I’m Being Told What I Need To Feel. You Even Tell Me What My Personality Needs To Be, You Think That My Friends Will Not Like Me Because Of Who I Am. No, They Like My Personality, You Don’t. So Never Tell Me How To Feel Unless You Want Me To Be Even More Stressed And Unhappy Then I Already Am. Listen, This Is What You Don’t Know, I’m not technically popular, I have some people that want to hang out with me. Not Because I'm On The Varsity Basketball Team, Or Because I’m Look Cool. No, It's Because I’ Don’t Usually Care What You People Think Of Me You All Judge To Quick, It's That Who I Am Is Not You Or Anyone Else. You Can’t Deny Any Of This. You Can’t Get Me In Trouble. This Is My Life, Even Though I’m Only 16, I Make My Own Choices About Life, Especially The Ones About What My Personality Is. I Don't Like It How You Think Just Because You Think I'm Crazy Or Weird Or Even Stupid. My Life Is What Matters Not Your Opinion. I'm The Girl Who Gets Along With Guys. My Teachers Say It's A Good Thing, One Even Said That It's A Very Good Thing That I Get Along With Them Without Having A Mental Therapist To Help. The Fact That I Must Call You Out For Your Mistakes Is The Worst Part. You Should Not Tell A Person That They Must Calm Down And Not Speak Up. This Is My Life, Don't Ruin It Just So You Can Impress Society.

“And send! OMG! I can’t believe I did that, I’m gonna be in so much trouble!” I’m Piper West, a 16-year-old 10th grader in High school and I’m on the Varsity Springfield Lady Wolves basketball team. I just sent my feelings to my mom who is a definite Debbie-downer. Well, she will get over that email.

It’s another ordinary school day of boredom, I go to my locker and open it slowly so I can waste time and see my boyfriend, Jake. He is tall about 6’0”, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Before I close my locker someone hits me in the back from behind, I look back and see my best friend smiling and laughing. “Really Hunter? You made me drop everything.” I said while I laugh. Hunter is a brunette and has brown eyes to match. To be completely honest, I probably talk to him more than anyone. After him came Jake, he was laughing at what Hunter did, so I playfully punched him on the arm.

If you looked up crazy or fun in the dictionary you would find both Hunter and Jake, who have something I like to call a bromance(meaning they are best friends). They are hilarious and I wouldn’t trade them in for the world, well… maybe Jake, (he’s a little annoying). Just kidding, I would never do that, he’s my boyfriend/crush (I don’t really know what we are) I think I wanna keep him on earth. After school finishes, I head home to do my homework. But instead, I text Jake.

Texting Jake

“Hey wyd”-P

“Texting you <3 wyd” -J

“Nothing much<3” -P

I was actually supposed to be doing my homework that's due tomorrow but who cares, I personally like texting him more than doing my homework. After a few hours, I suddenly start to become dizzy and felt really sick.

I felt as if someone was hitting me in the head with a sledgehammer. I collapsed, out cold. My mom came running into the room when she heard something fall. When she saw me, she called 911 and started to freak out. I woke up in the hospital to the sound of my mother’s voice as she was talking to the doctor about a surgery. Was I having to get surgery?! Oh no no no… I do not want surgery, what if they mess up and I die? This can not be happening.

“Mom.. what surgery?”

“Piper! You’re awake! Um, the doctor’s say that you have a brain tumor. Apparently, you got it...in the crash.” When my mom mentioned the crash I felt like crying. The tumor wasn’t that big of a surprise, but the crash was a terrible day, the day I lost my father. It hurt beyond anything to think of it.

Flashback

“Dad, can we go get ice cream since we are already in the car?Please?” I asked, my dad looked at me instead of the road and before he said anything, we crashed. My nose was bleeding and I had hit my head on the seat in front of me. I was out cold and had no idea that my dad had taken the worst of the crash. The other car in the collision was a lady with no kids… there was only one survivor.

Current Day

“What will happen if I do get the surgery??” I frantically asked my mother. “I’m sorry, but if you do the surgery, you don’t have to do it, but if you decide to do the surgery…” She said sadly and a little scared. “Just tell me already” I almost yelled at her. I was so nervous about what she was going to say I didn’t know if I could take whatever it was.”Ok, if you decide to do the surgery… you will lose all your memory…” She looked at me with doubt and fear about what I was going to say. I was in pure shock, if I did the surgery, I would forget everyone including Jake and Hunter. I don’t know how to deal with this. “I’m going to need time to think about it… but if it could save my life then….I don’t know, give me a week to think.”

One week later

At school. It was the last day until I was supposed to make the decision, I told Jake about the tumor and the surgery. “So, what should I do I don’t want to forget you.”

“Take the surgery, if it saves you then do it. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be here when the surgery is over.” Jake gave me the special ring he always wears and never lets anyone touch. “Keep this, so then maybe you will remember something after the surgery.” He smiled at me and then the bell rang. School was over, I had made my choice. I wasn’t taking the surgery. I’m not going to just forget my life. He was too important to me, I was going to spend all the time I had left feeling good. My mom had always told me that when you do something crazy, you are a disgrace. Well mom, guess what, I’m dying and I don’t care. You have made me upset all these years. I don’t want to have to deal with this anymore. When I got home my mom said to me “I got your email, you are right, I can’t tell you how to feel or act, but please tell me you’re taking the surgery. I can’t lose you, and neither can your friends, please. I love you.” I held on to the ring and said “No mom, I’m not forgetting anyone, I never cared what you or my sister ever said about me! Society isn’t even one of my worries, I can’t forget you, or Jake, or anyone.” My mom stood in shock, terrified about what I said then she told me that if I didn’t take the surgery today. It would be my last few days ever. “Well, I guess this is goodbye because I will not forget anyone,” I said as I started to faint again.

Once again I woke up in the hospital but I felt worse, way worse like I was dying. My mom was crying in the hall, at least as far as I can hear. I caught someone out of the corner of my eye, asleep, waiting for me to wake them. I couldn’t see who it was so I told them to wake up. “Huh? What? I’m awake... wait, Pipes you’re awake!” Jake said with a large grin on his face, but that quickly turned to sadness as he once again spoke. “Why are you not taking the surgery?” He asked in a soft, raspy voice. “I’m don’t want to forget my life or anyone in it. But, I might be rethinking it. I don’t know.” I answered in pure doubt. It was hard knowing that if I didn’t take the surgery I would die, but if it means not forgetting everyone then I’m down. I will do the surgery, for Jake, who knows maybe I will be fine. “I’m taking the surgery,” I said to the doctor and my mother who had dried her tears when she heard me speak. Jake looked at me with such happiness that it was heartwarming, “Thank God, I would have been terrified if you didn’t. Heck, I was terrified when you told me about the tumor!” he said with tears of joy threatening to start streaming down his face.

The doctor told me it was time to start the surgery, I was more than scared, I was terrified. Well, I guess I about find out if this will really work or not. Before I walk out I run and hug Jake and whisper, “I love you” in his ear. He looks at me with surprise at it was the first time I had ever said I love you. “Love you too,” he says as I walk out on the verge of tears. Let's hope this goes well.

During Surgery

The doctors and nurses rush around the room as Piper’s heart rate drops fast. Her brain isn't functioning correctly and her heart wasn’t responding. The only sound in the room now was a flatline. When the doctor’s told the mother, she cried and ran into the room. Her eyes landed on a note written before the surgery by Piper.

Hello,

If you are reading this my surgery didn’t go as planned. I’m gone. My life was hard, I had bad moments where I thought about terrible things.. But never did I ever commit anything, it would hurt too much and I was afraid of what my friends and family would do if I did that to myself. Would they be mad, sad, or even forgetful? You are probably wondering how I had time to write this. I went to the restroom before the surgery. Goodbye, I love you all.

Sincerely, Piper West

Report

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Beautyineverything
Beautyineverything
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
4 Sep, 2018
Words
592
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
362

Please login or register to report this story.