Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Living In the country

Living In the country

By shyguy2012

Living in the Country
Life can sometimes be cruel to some people. Not everyone who goes through harsh challenges comes out unscathed; however, there are some - the lucky few - who persevere and triumph despite the odds. The story of a man and his extended family - the challenges they faced, their internal conflicts, their growth, their passions, their faith, losses, and victories. And the author put together this story - his personal history - to chronicle his family's journey spanning years – a journey everyone can surely relate to and be inspired by.
A pasture was near the house in which it had twenty or thirty “Hogs” in it. The swine was very noisy and smelly, how can any domesticated animal be so “stinky.” Nevertheless, we observed a day in which the owner brought lots of green vegetables to the pasture and toss them on the ground. And when the “Hogs” began to eat it they reacted in grunts, squeals, and smacking sounds. While the swine was preoccupied smacking, the twins Pence and Sence reached through the fence and took some apples that looked good. One bite was all it took they were rotten to the core! Yuck! As a seven year old that’s what he remembered most. Well, not quite you see, the pig’s chase each other and “crap pellets” came out of the butt. It was a sight to see. So funny those twins thought they would split their “sides” from laughter. We were constantly looking for something to play and amuse ourselves with. Usually, the girls were inside while the “scamps” played outside filling their heads with pranks. When that Big Boy passed by we decided to gaze at his dirty clothes and make funny faces at him. He looked at us sheepishly, and stumbled on his way until he reached some thirty yards away or so. Quickly, he turned toward the house where the boys remained standing for their momma strictly told them never to leave the yard. The Boy bent over and picked up a rock and swiftly threw it out of his right hand. It struck the house “bam!” Just above the front door. Then, it “bounced” off striking “Pence” on his forehead! and he” fell to the ground.” He lay “twitching” on the ground! It seemed to say Boy! You better run, and he ran. I thought Pence was dead! Sence saw the “creepy” boy running away from the scene! And all hopes of telling June and Shane who did it lost. The twin stood alone stunned at turn of events. Pence lay on the sun-baked ground appears to be unconscious and Sence squat down and shook “Pence” “Pence” wake up and stop fooling get up boy! He still did not move so Sence ran inside the house screaming, “some boy done hit Pence in the “head” and he won’t get up. ”Immediately, my older sister asked, “Where is he?” Sence commented he’s outside lying on the ground. Shane went with June outside to see him and she urged him “Pence, can yak hear me,” they picked him up in their arms and led him into the living room on the sofa in the corner by the window. “Everybody gathered around Pence and cried,” yak, move and let him get some air; doesn’t yak see the boy is sick! Shane quickly found a rag and soaked it in cold water. She put it on the twin head where a knot was rising. He seemed to react to the cloth on his forehead and made a “frown” on his face. Sence felt relieved because his brother was still alive! However, he had a big bump on his head and Sence felt bad. It turned out that Pence would never be the same again! Since he had that knot such an injury bothered him a lot as he’s older now. Our sister D. J. said, I have seen Pence lose consciousness many times after the injury. You see nobody took him to be examined by a doctor in Mississippi! The Colored folks were stricken with poverty and not able to pay to see a doctor shoot! We weren’t able to buy enough food let alone have money to see a doctor. Momma worked hard at a white family’s house she cooked, cleaned, and baby sat. All those chores and she was given $10 a week. Meanwhile she left the kids at home with June and Shane to take care of them. They were all worried and upset about how mom would take the “news” why Pence lay injured on the sofa. The rest of the Family remained quiet until mom came home and “dad was not to be found “ Pence and Sence just finished the first grade and were on summer vacation. Our Family did not like living in Columbus, it was a bad idea! Colored people looked at you strange and did not try to know you better. David our neighbor, he was a good friend and he and his family gave us stuff! At Christmas time Santa Claus never delivered us kid’s toys to play with. Every year the younglings were disappointed and sad because they never got gifts. Yes! David came over and shared his bounty with Pence and Sence. He brought a Davy Crochett Flintlock Cap Pistol over our house and let us plays with it. He loved them and they loved him for they were best friends! By and by mom came home from work, and didn’t approve of the way the twins behaved Pence laying on the couch. She was mad and gave Sence a whipping. Sence was feeling so sad for not being able to protect his brother from getting hurt. I guess being a single parent part of the time is a big job, and she done what she could. Younglings got into trouble any way that was heavy on her mind. As she struck Sence he heard her say this gonna hurt me more than you! Those boys didn’t mean no harm to that Colored boy they were just playing around.

He’s black just like them couldn’t he understand? Their family had only been there a few years. They lived in the woods where nobody dwelt except them. A Colored Families Dream in chaos how they survived the latest woe. They found a way to move on.
Life can sometimes be cruel to some people. Not everyone who goes through harsh challenges comes out unscathed; however, there are some - the lucky few - who persevere and triumph despite the odds. The story of a man and his extended family - the challenges they faced, their internal conflicts, their growth, their passions, their faith, losses, and victories. And the author put together this story - his personal history - to chronicle his family's journey spanning years – a journey everyone can surely relate to and be inspired by.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
shyguy2012
shyguy2012
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
7 Mar, 2012
Genre
Type
Words
1,164
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
3,704

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.