Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Lost and Found
Lost and Found

Lost and Found

ApurboSameen Abrar

After a long time, I found it. I found it hidden amongst nature. Under the open blue sky, I saw it, playing with the dancing flowers. I felt it, blowing over me in the slow breeze of the silent afternoon. There, I heard it sing with the chorus of the rustling leaves. I saw it with the cattle that were grazing in the never-ending meadow. It was standing, bathing in the warm light of the winter sun that came to thaw the cold of the night already gone. Oblivious, it seemed. I called out. It was hesitant. I called out again as I slowly walked towards it. As I came close, I saw it. Eyes wet and red. It looked at me with a faint smile. Forced, the smile felt. I asked why did it hide all this time. Why did it hide from me?

It said that it hid to not lose itself.

“Lose? How?” I asked. It replied that it did not want to lose itself to artificiality. To the pressure of expectation and the dread of not being able to fulfill it. It did not love the picture others had imagined for it. It hated being forced to take what it did not want to take. It feared being alone with nobody to listen to its cries.

It stopped talking and we just sat there, silence screaming in the air. The sun had started its perpetual journey towards the dark abyss as the sky turned purple.

“But why here?” I asked. It waited a long time before answering.

“Because there is a certain serendipity here. Peace, one might say. Sometimes peace allows us to walk amongst those who make war.”

“Then why not return after the dust had settled?” My voice felt shaky.

“Because you gave in! Because you became what you despised. Because with you, I wouldn’t be able to remain the same. It replied so hastily that it ran out of breath. As it gasped for air, I understood what had happened. I understood what I had done that painted my life black. As black as the night of a new moon. I understood why we were estranged.

“I’m sorry that I lost you. But please come back. I need you!” I felt tears rolling down my cheek. It looked at me. Pain filled its eyes.

“I can’t. You are not the person I once knew. Maybe next time. I will be waiting, old friend. Farewell.”

Before I could say anything, it walked away. The fog engulfed him as he vanished into the still-born winter night. After a long time, I had found him. I had found myself. But now, he is gone. Forever out of my reach.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Apurbo
Sameen Abrar
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
26 Apr, 2022
Words
453
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
534

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.