Please register or login to continue

Register Login

My weekend by Ernie the house/sleddog
My weekend by Ernie the house/sleddog

My weekend by Ernie the house/sleddog

pokeylokipokeyloki
1 Review

My weekend- by Ernie the House/Sleddog

“BRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGG!”

Huh….. Lady, wake up. Your alarm just went off… Lady! Maybe if I lay on her… Still nothing… Lady!!! I gotta go! Sluuuuurp. That gets her every time.

OK, here we go. No, wait, not so much. I don’t know why she insists on putting all that stuff on and why she has so little fur, but frankly, lady, I still gotta go.

That’s a normal morning for us. The alarm goes off, the lady doesn’t get up, and I gotta go. Eventually she get moving, but some days… After going outside, I come back in for a nap in front of the fireplace while the lady eats. Some days I get in a really good nap while she does stuff. Wait, oh wait… She’s packing things up. I see the big bin thing. I see more of that stuff she puts on going in… Wait, oh wait. There’s that big special thing she wears on RACE DAY.

Oh man! We’re going to the races!! Quick lady, let me in the truck!! C’mon, c’mon. You’re not leaving me at home.

The first thing we do on race weekend is go where all my buddies live. Once we get there, I’ll get in a box on the big truck and off we’ll go. I wonder if I’ll get a box to myself or have to share. Who’ll be my neighbor? And did I mention, WE’RE GOING TO THE RACES!!!!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I’m going out to the dog yard to let everyone know we’re going! Can’t wait to see what box I’m in!

After the lady and guy put stuff in the boxes and fresh straw for us to lay in, they drive the truck to the dog yard and we all get to get in our boxes. Usually we don’t have to share and no one wants to be the dog left home… OK, we’re loading up! Prowler, Domino, Mac…

Hey, hey, lady! That’s my box next to Mac, let me in! let me in! I’m thinking I’m going to jump in when she opens the door so that way I can’t get left home. Pschew! I’m in. And smell that fresh straw. Yippee!!! Nap time… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The lady will drive about 3-4 hours, then she stops and puts chains out. We can tell when that’s happening. The truck stops, the chains clank. Then she lets us out of our boxes to do our business and stretch our legs. Oh, and pets. She gives us lots of pets while we’re out. Then we go back in our boxes and travel some more. This is pretty much the routine until we get to the hotel. Then we go out one last time before we go to bed for the night.

Race morning the lady usually get us up early and we go out of the boxes, do our business, and get soup to eat. We have to have our water. Then we go back into our boxes and drive some more to the race site where we’ll go out of the boxes and drink some more.

Oh man, I didn’t get to go back in the box this time. The lady’s getting harnesses out. Mac, hey Mac. Did ya see? Did ya see? We’re going to get to go soon!!! Domino, who do you think’s going to be lead today??? Man, Prowler, you’re too chill, we’re going to go soon!!! Woof, woof!!!!

The lady’s putting harnesses on, Mac, Domino, Prowler… Hey! Hey, lady! Where’s mine? Oh that’s right, she puts mine on last because I get so excited, I chew it. Maybe I should stop that….

Mac’s getting hooked. Prowler’s getting hooked. Domino’s getting hooked. My harness is going on, wait. I get to be lead dog with Prowler? Oh yeah! THAT’S what I’m talking about. I’ll make you proud lady. C’mon, c’mon, let’s get to the line.

We get to the chute and wait our turn. When it’s our turn, everyone’s so excited. Except Prowler. He’s so cool. I’ll never be THAT cool. I get so excited that I bark and bang in my harness… They’re counting down….

1 minute, driver… 30 seconds, driver… 15… 10, 9 , 8, 7, 6, 5 Are you ready boys???? 2, 1, Go driver!!!

And we’re off. We get to run with our buds as fast as we can- up, down, around. I like knowing what’s around the next bend, so we try to go even faster.

I see dogs ahead… The lady’s talking. We’d better listen. Gee, Ernie, Gee… Hutt, hutt, go get’em Prowler! Go get’em Ern! Hutt, Hutt!! Good boys, guys. Onby! Onby! Good dawgs! Hutt, hutt.

She’s our cheering and direction center the whole race. I try to listen really hard. Sometimes Prowler has to help. He’s older and more experienced than I am. When we finish our race, Prowler and I will lead everyone back to the truck where we get more water and pets. Afterwards, we’ll go back in the boxes to get some rest and dinner. Then back to the in/out cycle until tomorrow when we run again. I’m already looking forward to going again tomorrow. Race day is so much more exciting than just training days.

Sunday’s pretty much the same as Saturday except we get to sleep a long time in our boxes on the way home. After we get back to the house with the dogyard and the lady puts everyone back at their house, we’ll go back to our house. Where I get to sleep on the bed. Which is almost better than sleeping in the fresh straw in the box.

Author Notes: Forgive me, for I know not what I'm doing. It's part of an assignment for a class. I didn't know what to write about, so I wrote about a dogsled sprint race weekend from the point of view of my house/sleddog.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
pokeyloki
pokeyloki
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
6 Jun, 2016
Genre
Type
Words
1,000
Read Time
5 mins
Rating
3.0 (1 review)
Views
1,877

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.