Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Reformation

Reformation

By Princess_Laina

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.” This famous quote by Atticus Finch challenges readers to think about someone else for a change. It encourages them to defy stereotypes and to look beyond appearances and seek the reason beneath. Most importantly, it dares them to change their perspective; their view on life, people, and things. Throughout the story, the people of Maycomb County are changed and inspired by the Finches, little by little. The theme and tone of the book present challenges and statements that cause readers to investigate their own morals and change them for the better. In To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee uses remarks from the characters to show the theme of reformation.
Atticus Finch is a very intelligent, inspiring, and respected character in To Kill a Mockingbird that plays a key role in many lives. Many of his words make a hefty impact on the story and support the theme. For example, on page 210 he says, “Mr. Cunningham’s basically a good man, he just has blind spots like the rest of us.” This quote shows how understanding Atticus is, especially when it comes to people caught in the crossfire of Tom Robinson’s case. He goes out of his way to help others consider other people’s perceptions and reform their own egotistical traditions.
Another motivating example would be from Scout, the narrator of To Kill a Mockingbird. This quote is from page 304,“Naw, Jem, I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.” Scout’s innocent and open-minded nature is brought to the surface with this sentence to Jem. Many people that are down on their luck often listen to people and things that they normally wouldn’t, especially children. The hounding of Scout’s aunt and the racial segregation in Maycomb bring a lot of controversy, but Scout is far beyond her time. She inspires many older characters to stop judging people based on color, age, and class and reform themselves to help others.
Reformation is meant for things that are corrupted and immoral, things that are so dysfunctional that populations can’t sit back and watch it still exist. If one doesn’t sit back, then what are they doing exactly? They are fighting the negative and repelling the negative in hopes to make it better and beneficial. This system is seen everyday, everywhere. All one must do is look. Harper Lee saw it in racial segregation and wrote a classic about it. The comments from her book, To Kill a Mockingbird support it’s theme of reformation.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Princess_Laina
Princess_Laina
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
2 Nov, 2012
Genre
Type
Words
447
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
2,938

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.