Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Angel in Disguise
Angel in Disguise

Angel in Disguise

JanBrooks14Jan Brooks
2 Reviews

I finally finished writing out my documents, and I intended on going home. I threw my left over coffeee in the bin and stepped out of Star Bucks. I was greeted by the wild wind that ruffled through my blonde hair, and I thread my fingers through to fix it. I yawned, and shut my eyes tight, then open them, trying to stay alert. My work was finally over. I felt a heavy weight lift off my shoulders when I finished those important documents. Now was time for me to have leisure time at home. As I strolled down the pavement, I came across an old man. In his rough hands he held a sign, written in a sloppy handrwiting, "Pleese help me cros the streets I am blind." My heart shrunk. How can I just leave him there without assisting him? I can only imagine how many pedestrians passed him straight.

I rested my slender hands on his shoulder, being careful not to startle him. He gave me a crooked smile, and placed his wrinkly hands on top of mine, letting out a soft chuckle. The warm gesture made me smile. After only meeting him for a few seconds his presence felt known. Like I met him somewhere before. He seems familiar. I kindly asked him if he would let me assist him in crossing, and he happily agreed.

"Noel," he rasped out.

"Miranda" I confessed.

We patiently waited, as I pushed the cross street button. I took this time to admire him, he looked like he was in his late seventy's, his messy grey hair was covered by a brown flat cap. He was wearing a mustard yellow vintage shirt, and a brown pants. His eyes were hidden behind a sunglasses. He had a few wrinkles here and there, but I would say he looked pretty good for his age. He resembled my grand father an awful lot. Something about him was peculiar. My exhaustion suddenly was replaced with a gay and warm feeling. It's a feeling I cannot grasp. His presence makes me feel a type of way. A positive one. I felt.... safe.

"Would you like me to hold your white cane?" I requested.

I gazed at him, but he didn't hear, so I said it a little louder.

"Oh... yes thank you dear!"

It was now time to cross and I held him tightly around his arms, as he stumbled across the street. When suddenly, a black Ford Mustang car whizzed pass us. The piercing shriek I let out was dulled by the loud car that zoom passed us. Before I could get hit by it, Mr. Noel grabbed my blouse and yanked me away from the car.

"That was close," he mumbles under his breath.

The buttons from my blouse flew to the floor, as I clutched my chest, panting heavily. My heart was beating with each breath and my mouth was suddenly glued. I heard him mumble a few words, but in the heat of the moment, I paid no attention to it. Tears trickled down my rosy cheeks, and I let out a nervous laugh.

"Are you okay dear?"

He stretched out his arms and caressed my shaky hands.

"Yes, I am okay sir," I stammered.

There is that feeling again. Warmth. Safety. It was all too familiar. I wiped my tears and gazed at him. I was not the type of person to believe in reincarnation and these religious or philospical things. But I truly believe this was my grand father. Is it a coincidence that he died from getting hit by a car. Then this blind man who I met saved me? Or is this exhaustion getting to my head? It can't be.....

A blind man saved my life, I thought to myself. I then realized we were in the middle of the road, so I guided him to the other side.

"That car was loud, I am surprised you did not see it."

"Yes, I myself too."

He rubbed his hands on my shoulder and gave me a toothy grin,

"Thank you for crossing me, well done." he whispered.

Then he vanished into thin air......

Author Notes: First time writing here! Be kind always.

Recommend Reviews (2) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
JanBrooks14
Jan Brooks
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
19 Jul, 2021
Words
696
Read Time
3 mins
Favorites
0
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
4.5 (2 reviews)
Views
944

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.