Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Shards of the Sky
Shards of the Sky

Shards of the Sky

MistyJJPAmber Jones
1 Review

The nights was a tranquil one, trees swayed gently in the gelid breeze, stars peeked through a wide expanse of inky blackness, and silvery moonlight trickled through the branches above me as I lay in the oscillating grass. I stretched out my arms, relaxing into the idyllic feeling of the darkness, letting myself settle into it.

The zephyr played with the long strands of my strawberry blonde hair sprawled around me, caressing my cheek, causing my thoughts to drift almost as lazily as the breeze itself. I closed my eyes, soaking in the surrealism of it all.

Several minutes eased by in soft comfort, the distant call of an animal, rustling leaves and branches, and the comfort of the breeze. I sighed, opening my eyes, I stared at the stars winking down at me. This was how I liked it.

An indistinct muttering caught on the wind, grabbing at my attention. It grew slowly louder, shattering the stillness of the night around me. The indistinct muttering quickly split into multiple voices, I sat up trying to decipher what the voices were saying. They were whispering, low tones that sailed through the air.

“Barriers…”

“Problem…”

“No response…”

“Are we getting through?”

“Liam…”

The voices faded in and out, catching only parts of phrases, I knitted my eyebrows in confusion. I stood, my ivory nightgown fluttering around my legs. What were they saying? Who was Liam?

The wind was starting to pick up, the voices following suite.

“Syvic…”

“Wiped her memory…”

“Reflections…”

“Hope…”

The trees were now bending against the gusting wind, my hair flying behind me, and I shielded my eyes against the onslaught as I watched the night sky. Suddenly time seemed to stop, the wind coming to an abrupt cessation, not one whisper tickled my conscience, even my breathing seemed to cease and my eyes were fixed on a point on the horizon where there was nothing but solid shadows. I waited, unable to move.

A crack split across the painted night, snaking across a good chunk of the overhanging sky, before halting. Nothing seemed to happen for a moment.

I drew in a breath when instantaneously blinding white light erupting from the fissure before suddenly seiling shut. And things around me seemed to return to their normal calm, the crack slowly fading from view.

Something fluttered toward me, sailing through the stream of fading light. I reached up and caught it in a fist. When I opened my clenched hand, I simply stared in wonderment. There resting in my palm was a paper, the edges burnt, reading in slanted cursive. “If you're reading this, you've been in a coma for nearly 20 years, for a reason we are currently investigating. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this message will end up in your dream, but we hope we're getting through. Please wake up. Help us.”

Author Notes: I'm trying to write a story to go along with a writing prompt, but this is what I have so far

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
MistyJJP
Amber Jones
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
16 Apr, 2019
Words
480
Read Time
2 mins
Favorites
0
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
5.0 (1 review)
Views
1,068

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.