Please register or login to continue

Register Login

SHERLOCK HOLMES and the BEAST of CORNWALL:FROM BAD to WORSE
SHERLOCK HOLMES and the BEAST of CORNWALL:FROM BAD to WORSE

SHERLOCK HOLMES and the BEAST of CORNWALL:FROM BAD to WORSE

herculeshercules

Right now, I was at loose ends and square one was in sight again.

“Where do we go from here Holmes?” Watson asked.

“I have no idea. It’s back to the drawing board.”

And so it was.

Then suddenly, a new thought hit me – a thought, which shed some light on the case.

“Something on your mind Holmes?”

“Indeed there is.”

“Would you mind sharing it?”

“Not now.”

I knew what was coming next.

“You know I don’t like it when you conceal things from me Holmes.”

“Yes, but now’s not the right time to share it.”

“Then I’ll just have to wait then?” Watson asked with a note of sarcasm in his voice.

“Save your attitude Watson.”

“So what do we do now?”

“Now, we shall take a break from the investigation.”

“Why?”

“Because we’ve hardly gained anything and I want a clear head before we continue.”

“As you please Holmes.”

“For the rest of the day we shall explore more of the area.”

So that’s what we did. We walked down to the coast, to a place called Cape Cornwall, then across the moorland for several miles, until we reached an outcrop of rocks called Carn Kenidjack.

St Just was visible from the outcrop, along with a distant coastal town, plenty of hills and the Isles of Scilly on the far horizon. It was a wonderful sight.

“Well Holmes?”

“Well what?”

“Are you going to share with me what was on your mind earlier?”

“Not yet I’m afraid. I’m still trying to piece things together. When I’m ready, I’ll tell you.”

“Very well Holmes?”

“In the meantime, we shall go back to the Inn.”

So that’s what we did.

“How’s the investigation going?” Mrs Tonkin asked.

“Watson and I are going round and round in circles. I can prove none of my theories.”

“Right now, we can do nothing,” said Watson. “This is a case we may never solve.”

I didn’t disagree there.

Watson and I sat down near the fire and looked at everyone in sight.

It was then that I saw David and the hunchback in another corner – deep in conversation. Just what was the connection between the two of them?”

The following morning, Watson and I got up early to continue with the investigation – hoping as usual that we would get somewhere.

We were just about to order some breakfast, when David entered the Inn. His face expressed sheer fright.

“I’m ever so glad I found the pair of you,” he said in a most fearful voice.

“Whatever is the matter, David?” asked I.

“Something awful has happened Mr Holmes.”

“Calm yourself,” Watson said. “Tell us what it is.”

“How can I be calm Doctor Watson?”

I had the uneasy feeling that the beast had struck again during the night.

“There’s been another killing, hasn’t there?” I asked.

“Yes Mr Holmes.”

“Who was it this time?” asked Watson.

“Mr McFadden.”

I was thunderstruck, as was everyone else in the Inn.

People started talking amongst themselves.

“Take us to the farm,” I said.

As we followed David to the farm, I thought of the skeleton of Hayley lying in the field. That was horrendous enough, but I wasn’t prepared for the shocking sight, on which I was going to lay my eyes on.

When we reached the farm McFadden’s dog came rushing up to us.

“Through here gentlemen.”

David and Harry led us into the yard.

It was there that I set eyes on a most ghastly sight.

Lying in the middle of the yard, was a skeleton, all bloody, broken and covered with numerous teeth marks, like Hayley’s skeleton.

McFadden’s clothes were all shredded and bloody and more blood lay all around the remains, along with many footprints.

More prints indicated that the beast had entered the front of the yard, pounced upon its victim and left the same way.

“Heavens above,” Watson said. “What on Earth could be doing all this?”

“I believe I can help you gentlemen,” replied David.

“Go on,” I said.

“I was in the out building where I sleep last night, when I heard a spine-chilling, unearthly shriek coming from somewhere. I then heard Mr McFadden come out of the house with Harry and after that, it happened.

A deafening roar sounded, followed by agonizing screams, shrieks and other horrific sounds of some kind of ferocious creature. Wondering what to do, I went out to see what was up.

“It was then that I saw it – a huge scaly dark blue beast with bird-like legs, a luminous red eye on either side of its enormous bird-like head, spidery arms – ending in clawed hands, a hooked claw on each foot, a writhing tail, a snake-like neck and a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth.

“Worst of all, the beast was quickly devouring Mr McFadden – alive.

“When it had finished, the beast saw me, but left the yard.”

There was silence for a moment.

“Do you still believe that the beast is of the supernatural David? I asked. “Now that you have seen it with your own eyes?”

“I do yes, just like everyone else.”

“What do you believe Holmes?”

“I have my own theories, which I am not willing to reveal – yet.”

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
hercules
hercules
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
30 Oct, 2021
Words
870
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
383

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.