Please register or login to continue

Register Login

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE BEAST OF CORNWALL:MY THEORIES
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE BEAST OF CORNWALL:MY THEORIES

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE BEAST OF CORNWALL:MY THEORIES

herculeshercules

The information, which Watson and I had received stumped us.

The hunchback, who we suspected might have been dogging us, happened to know my brother Mycroft and was, like David, working for him.

Then there was the fact that Mycroft was well known in the area.

It was all so much to take in.

Tonight, Watson and I, along with Carpenter and David were going to visit the Trembath’s. There was plenty of work to be done there – work, which may bring the mystery of the beast right into the light.

If my – yet to be revealed theories turned out to be incorrect, then it would be back to the drawing board again.

“Well, there’s nothing that can be done between now and tonight,” I said.

“What do you suggest we do then Holmes?” asked Watson.

“Explore more of the area.”

“Very well.”

“David and I will go off too,” Carpenter said. “We have plenty to think over.”

So did I.

“You have not told us where you are staying Carpenter,” Watson asked.

“I’m not at liberty to reveal that.”

“Fair enough.”

Throughout the day Watson and I explored more of the region.

We went for a very long walk along the coast to the village of Sennen, which we had seen from Carn Kenidjack.

After spending some time there, we walked straight back to St Just and joined Carpenter and David for some dinner at the Inn.

“Are all of you ready then?” asked I.

David, Carpenter and Watson all nodded.

“Let’s be off then.”

The four of us left the Inn and headed to the Trembath’s.

By the time we got there, it was getting dark.

“Good to see all you gentlemen,” Mrs Trembath said, when she appeared at the farmhouse door.

“I had a feeling that Watson and I would end up returning here again,” said I.

“I presume the pair of you have joined forces with David and Carpenter?”

“We have indeed Mrs Trembath,” said I.

“What brings the four of you here at this time?”

“Fred Bailey,” replied Watson.

“Fred Bailey?” Mrs Trembath asked curiously.

“Yes.”

“Why might that be Doctor Watson?”

“Holmes suspects that Bailey is behind the terrible events that have been taking place in the area.”

“Why Bailey?”

“Neither of us three have a clue,” David replied.

“Holmes has revealed neither his theories, nor the purpose of our visit,” said Watson.

“I shall do so while we’re here Watson and I want Mr and Mrs Trembath to be present.”

“You’d all better come in then.”

Mrs Trembath led us inside the house.

The interior of the house was most interesting.

Paintings of Cornish scenes hung all over the place and a flight of stairs covered with a red carpet disappeared into the darkness.

Mrs Trembath led us into a room with fine furniture – including chairs, a couple of tables and a bookcase, along with a flaming log fire and a pair of brown curtains – embroidered with flowers.

“Sit down gentlemen,” said Mrs Trembath. “While I go and fetch Jake.”

The four of us sat down on the chairs and waited.

A moment later, Mrs Trembath reappeared with Jake.

“Evening all,” Jake said.

“I told Jake why you’ve all come.”

“So Mr Holmes, your suspicions fall upon Bailey?”

“They do yes. Now that you’re all here I shall reveal my theories.”

“And about time too,” said Watson.

“We’re all ears,” Mrs Trembath said.

“My first theory is that Bailey is somehow connected to the beast.”

“I don’t understand,” Mr Trembath said.

“Are you saying that Bailey has some kind of connection with the supernatural?” asked Mrs Trembath.

“Not in the least.”

“How then?” Watson asked.

“It is my theory that Bailey found the beast, while exploring the Amazon and brought it to England somehow.”

“What are you saying Mr Holmes?” David asked.

“I’m saying that I no longer believe the beast to be a supernatural demon, but a wild animal from the Amazon. You yourself said that you witnessed it devour Mr McFadden.”

“Why do you believe it to be an animal Mr Holmes?” asked Mrs Trembath.

“Because Bailey told Watson and I that he saw ferocious reptilian predators and David said that the beast was reptile-like.”

“What do you believe David?” Mr Trembath asked. “Do you believe the beast to be of the supernatural?”

“Right now, I have no idea.”

“What about you two?” Watson asked the Trembath’s.

“Well, unless Mr Holme’s theories are correct, we’ll continue to believe what everyone around here does,” Mrs Trembath replied.

“If your theories are correct Holmes, then how did Bailey bring the beast over to England?” Watson asked. “Where does he keep it? Does Cartwright know anything of the matter? Is he also involved?”

“I have questioned those matters, but without coming up with any theories.”

“This is all very interesting Mr Holmes, but just exactly why have you all come here at this time?” asked Mr Trembath. “Surely not just to reveal your theories?”

“You are right.”

“Well then – “ Mrs Trembath asked.

“We are going to spy on Bailey tonight – watch his movements and see if my theories are correct. After all, I have no solid evidence to prove my theories.”

“Very well Mr Holmes,” said Mr Trembath.

“Anything that may get to the bottom of the matter,” Mrs Trembath said.

“What time shall we get to work Holmes?” asked Watson.

“Around ten.”

So we just sat in the living room reading books, until the time came to act.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
hercules
hercules
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
1 Nov, 2021
Words
915
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
504

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.