Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Something Fishy

Something Fishy

By alyssa17

The wind flowed through my hair as I walked on the warm sand. The waves washed up many peculiar items. As I walked I kept my eyes on the sand looking out for anything alluring. A round shiny object was peeking out from under the sand. I reached down and grabbed it before the tide could pull it away. Out from the sand came a beautiful emerald pendant with a silver chain.

Wow, this must have cost a fortune, I thought.

As I held it in my hand the emerald illuminated a peculiar light. I was mesmerized and stared in awe at the exquisite stone. I was too distracted to realize the water had soaked the bottom half of my capris. Frustrated, I put the necklace in my jacket pocket and started my trek across the sand back to my car. I arrived home and tossed my keys on the counter then walked upstairs to change out of my jeans. I pulled the necklace out of my pocket and lay it down on my desk. I grabbed a pair of sweats and a T-shirt and changed into them. I flopped on my bed and realized that I still smelled like seawater. Reluctantly, I swung my legs off my bed and walked into the bathroom to take a shower. As I was washing my hair, I looked down and noticed a purple flake on my foot. It glistened with green and blue when I moved my foot. I reached down and tried to flick it off but it wouldn’t budge. As I looked closer I noticed it wasn’t something on my foot, it was the color of my foot. Concerned, I reached for a towel and wrapped it around myself. I stepped out of the shower and grabbed my phone to use as a flashlight to inspect it. After taking a closer look, I concluded it was most likely just a bruise but I would keep an eye on it just in case. I put my T-shirt and sweats back on and crawled back into bed. The next morning I woke up and checked my phone. There was a text from John saying,

“Hey! Do you wanna go swimming today?”

I replied, “Sure! I’ll meet you at the beach around 12!”

“See you then.” he sent back.

I looked over at the clock and it was 11:30 am. I hopped out of bed and threw my hair up into a ponytail, put on my bathing suit and grabbed a shirt to put on over. I grabbed my flip flops and slipped them on. The bruise on my foot was still there but it had started to form into a half oval shape. I didn’t think much of it and grabbed the necklace off my desk and put it on before walking downstairs. I got in my car and drove to the beach. I found John when I got there and we walked down to the water.

“Where did you get that necklace?” he asked.

“I found it here yesterday!” I exclaimed.

We lay down our towels and headed for the water. As I stepped in the water I felt an odd tingling in my foot. When I looked down I saw more of the purple flakes appearing on both of my legs, but before I could run out of the water, I started to lose feeling in my feet. The flakes on my feet had started to turn into scales! My feet had started to morph into a mermaid tail! The necklace started glowing vibrantly.

“What the hell?!” John screamed.

“It must be the necklace!” I panicked.

I continued into the ocean out of curiosity. I wanted to uncover what other powers this eccentric necklace had. I swam deeper until I was completely submerged in water and I discovered could breathe! Frantically, I started talking to John about my discovery but I had realized he was still stuck up at shore. I looked around and saw a school of fish staring at me.

“Hello,” I said with no intention of having a conversation because they’re fish and fish can’t talk.

“Hello!” they replied in unison.

I jumped back startled, “YOU CAN TALK?!” I exclaimed.

“YOU CAN UNDERSTAND US?” hey shouted back.

I stopped and stared for a minute in complete disbelief. One of the little fish noticed my necklace.

“Where did you find that?”

“It was washed up on the beach. I picked it up earlier.”

They all looked at each other. Then looked at me. An uneasy feeling grew within me.

“You need to follow us.” one of them said.

I was hesitant but I decided to follow them. The water was a deep blue. It was filled with different fish swimming in a vast open space. We swam for a long time until we arrived at trench like area. I was instructed to go into the trench. Although I was scared I continued swimming. In front of me was a beautiful throne decorated with seashells and other lost objects. A young woman swam out from behind.

“I believe you have something that is mine?” She inquired.

I knew she was talking about the necklace. I took it off and reached out to give it to her. As soon as it left my hand I blacked out. When I woke up, John was standing above me shaking me. I coughed up water and sat up.

“You are not going to believe what just happened.”

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
alyssa17
alyssa17
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
29 May, 2019
Genre
Type
Words
912
Read Time
4 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
990

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.