Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Guilty Conscience
Guilty Conscience

Guilty Conscience

FadingMemoriesFadingMemories

The leaves rustle in the wind as I walk home, my breath appearing in front of me in small puffs of smoke-like clouds. I turn down the volume of the music venturing into my ears through my earbuds as I yell goodbye to my friend, finally arriving at my house. Slipping the keys into the lock, I turn them, then open the white door slowly. My cat greets me with a soft meow, and I turn to lock and close the door when, suddenly, my phone beeps obnoxiously.

"Oh come on! I thought I turned this thing on silent!" I groan, finally locking the door. I walk through the kitchen and into the dining room as I slip my phone out of my pocket. Blinking, I peer at it.

Erin: Hey uh, hope, u there?

"This is odd," I mumble to myself, swiping my finger across the small screen.

Hope: Yeah, what is it?

Erin: I... um can you come over to my house? I need to tell u something. in person

Hope: Uh... sure. Let me tell my mom quick just in case she comes home early, and then I will be right over.

Erin: thanks....

My heart feels like it's about ot burst out of my chest as I quickly text my mom, grab my keys, unlock the door, and sprint out my house, slamming the door behind me. "Oh, God!" I screech to myself as I run. I need to hurry; I know something horrible is about to occur. Finally, I reach his house, panting uncontrollably as I knock on the door. To my joy, Erin answers, "Hey, Hope." He says casually, letting me in and shutting the door, "Thanks for coming so quickly."

"No problem, Kid," I smile, hidng my anxiety, "What did you want to tell me?"

He looks down as his feet then, suddenly, heads for the stairs. I blink in confusion, but follow quickly as Erin pads up the steps in a rush, leading me down the long, endless hall. Finally, he stops and stands silently in his room, head lowered sadly.

"Erin," I say, putting my hand on his shoulder, "Tell me what's going on."

He lets out a long, sad sigh and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a tiny folded up piece of notebook paper. Slowly, he hands it to me, never peering up from the ground.

"Wait!" He exclaims suddenly, whipping his head up at me before I can unfold the paper. He stares deep into my eyes, deep emotion reflcected in his beautiful brown eyes as he speaks once more, "I-I'm so sorry."

"Erin..." I start, but he frantically interrupts me by placing his hand over my mouth.

"No, Hope, hear me out. I am so so sorry for, just, for everything. I've caused so much pain to all my friends and even ex friends, but mostly, I've caused you pain. I never realized how much I was hurting you until it hit me as I was walking home, and I am just so sorry for it all. Before I- you leave, I just want to say I love you. Even though I have a girlfriend who's not you, I've still loved you through everything. I'm sorry."

He pulls his hand off my mouth slowly.

"Erin... I forgive you, and I-" I breath, but get interrupted once again, but, this time, I'm interrupted by him placing his lips on mine. I melt into the kiss, but suddenly, he parts our lips. I hear a loud thud, and I peer down towards the floor as his body violently hits the ground, the knife he used soon following.

I screech in pure shock, as I fall onto the ground, grabbing his dead body. Blood pours rapidly out of his open stab wound, crimson staining the light grey carpet he laid apon. Sirens fill my ears, getting louder and louder and louder, but I don't flinch. I weep and squeeze the folded paper in my hand, tears streaming down my cheek like a river and onto his crimson stained body as I let out his name one last time in grief, "Erin..."

Author Notes: Always remember that you are loved even if it seems as if the world's against you.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
FadingMemories
FadingMemories
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
5 Dec, 2016
Type
Words
691
Read Time
3 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
1,795

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.