Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Bad Deal

The Bad Deal

By RonnieJ

The Bad Deal

The whole deal went sour, and had you put any thought into it, you would have known it almost from the beginning.

Everyone knew it would happen at any day. Some expected it sooner, so you shouldn't have been so surprised and disgusted when it did go bad.

Of course you got away with it that first day, and you thought all was well if you even bothered to put any thought into it at all. It wasn't until the third day when it started to go sour, but even then you didn't do anything about it. You even told the others not to worry and that it would be all right. Were you in denial, or did you really think that everything would still turn out okay?

"Just one more day," you said, each morning of the week, and now look what happened. You of all people should have known better, and now you have no one to blame but yourself.

I know you're standing there thinking of all the time and effort that went into it, not to mention the expense. Don't forget the disappointment either. Remember how sure you were that everything would work out?

One of the biggest problems is that it not only affects you, but it has a tremendous impact on the others in your family as well. Everyone was expecting it to be there, counting on it in fact, even you and now it's simply gone. Can't you see the disappointment and anger in their faces?

"What are you going to say to them? What is done is done? What good will that do? You needed it and so did they, and because you weren't careful it's not there. Sometimes being sorry doesn't cut it. Isn't that what you've told your children time and time again?

You know now that the deal stinks and standing there looking disgusted won't help matters any. It certainly won't do anything to placate those around you. Too bad you didn't think about what could have gone wrong earlier.

I suppose your only consolation at this point is knowing that you're not the only one whose been duped. It's happened many times before and will certainly happen again. There's always someone around who hasn't learned the lesson and are doomed to repeat your mistake.

"What a waste," you say? What makes you think that will make anybody feel any better, to know that you now realize the thing went south? Saying it's nothing but a waste won't help you at all, and it won't do anything to avert their accusing eyes either.

No. You're just stuck there mumbling to yourself. Oh sure, you could start over. In fact, in spite of everything, you will for you have no choice. Of course, you know that if you do it right, it will help you in the future. Even so, it still won't help you now because now is when you need it.

"Next time it will be different," you tell yourself. "Next time I will be more careful and pay attention to what I'm doing."

You can tell yourself that, but in reality you know that any new deal could go sour just as easily as this one did.

Yeah, you can look suspiciously around at the others and think that perhaps someone else had their fingers in it and helped the deal go bad. But deep down inside, you know that it was ultimately your fault.

After all, it was you who made the deal. It was you who purchased it and therefore, it was you alone who was responsible. You know you should have checked it out more closely. You were the one who should have made sure you weren't getting ripped off. Besides, wasn't it you who told your spouse not to worry about it and that you would take care of it?

Your family had confidence in you and trusted you to do the right thing. They depended on you to come through for them, and now you've let them all down with your incompetence. You know you could have asked for advice before hand. You could have even let someone else look it over for you, but no. You thought you knew what you were doing and didn't want anyone's help.

What is wrong with you? Are you so egotistical that you can't ask for help, particularly with something as important as this? Just think about that while you look at the disappointed faces around you.

At least there won't be any police knocking at your door. So I suppose it could be worse. There won't even be any record of your mistake anywhere, and you can at least be thankful for that. In fact, the only ones who will ever know about your mistake are those of your family and any guests that you may have lurking about your home. That is as long as everyone remembers to keep their mouth shut.

You shouldn't worry about those you made the deal with either. They certainly won't tell anyone, even if they did know your deal went bad. In all likelihood though, they don't. People like that make so many deals every day, they couldn't possibly remember a single transaction. No matter how bad it was.

At any rate, here you are, with your family all around you, holding their coffee cups or bowls full of cereal, and there's nothing left for you to do but dump the spoiled milk out in the sink. What are you going to tell them? Put water on their cereal?

Next time, just check the date on the milk before you buy it okay?

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
RonnieJ
RonnieJ
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
5 Jan, 2013
Genre
Type
Words
958
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
6,083

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.