Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Blanket Story

The Blanket Story

By writingartist420 - 13 Reviews

When I was twenty five years old, I received this warm, fuzzy, multi-colored blanket. It has seen me through the good times and the bad. I think to myself "How would my life be different if this blanket had never been created at the textile shop?" Somebody took the time to weave and stitch this blanket so it could be a great comfort to me.

This blanket has taken care of me when I was sick, when I broke my ribs, when I had brain surgery, and when my best cat Toby died. It didn't judge, it let me cry, and it was a great solace through dark times. My favorite time to have this blanket is when the windows are open, and it's slightly cold. I loved being able to curl up in this blanket on those nights. It made me feel content. Like life is good.

Over the years, I have watched my husband and boys get sick. It has brought them comfort as well. How can one little blanket mean so much to so many people? Who would've ever thought that when they were creating this blanket, they were creating the gift of love. Love that can be handed down from generation to generation. I can't help but envision my cat Toby laying on my stomach when I was covered up with this blanket. Sometimes he would just lay there. Other times, he would want me to share my ice cream with him. He always purred his little heart out when he was curled up with me on this blanket. If this blanket could talk, it would say "I did my job. I brought you warmth, comfort, solace, peace, and security." Yes, this blanket is more than just a blanket. It is a family member.


It has now been fifty years since I was given the gift off the blanket. It is old and worn. There is so much wear and tear from overuse that I thought about throwing it away. Could I really throw something away that had once meant so much to me? If I kept the blanket, who would love this ratty old thing as much as I did long after I'm gone? (I am after all seventy-five years old). How could I throw something away that had the equivalence of a family member? Knowing that I'm not going to live forever, and that nobody could possibly love this thing as much as I did, I reluctantly threw it in the trash. Once in the trash, the blanket says "How could you do this to me? Did I not love you my whole life? Did I not comfort you in times of sadness? Was I not there for you when you were sick? Did I not let you cry on me without passing judgment? Think of all the tmes that I have kept you warm. Don't do this."

She knew the blanket was right, but she also knew nobody could love this blanket like she did. Reluctantly, she leaves it in the trash. She walks away.

The blanket then screams out "I know things about you. You've told me so many secrets. Do you really want me to divulge all the secrets that you told me? I will. You know I will."

Alison goes to bed thinking "He wouldn't act on it. He wouldn't dare."

The next morning, her husband David opens his email. It said "Please open. I know many secrets about your wife. One of which I have slept with your wife many times."

Upon seeing this, David says "What the heck is this? Don't you think you owe me an explanation?"

Stunned, Alison says "He did it. He really did it."

"What are you talking about? Who really did what?"

"It's not a who, it's a what. The blanket came alive when I threw it in the trash. It told me that if I didn't take it out of the trash, it would divulge all my secrets."

"Are you high? Do you know how loony you sound?"

"Yes, and if you don't believe me, respond. Ask the sender what his name is."

Once David got back on the computer he said "Who is this?"

The response was "Your worst nightmare."

David, not knowing what to think, goes to the trash to look at the blanket. While looking at the blanket, he thinks to himself, "Why would she throw this away. She loved this thing."

David picked it up out of the trash to get a better look at it. Once out of the trash, the blanket says "Yess", as though it was hissing.

Scared, David drops it, and says "I can't believe she was right. The blanket is alive."

The blanket seeing his horror stricken face says "If you just save me from impending death, I promise I won't hurt you. I have spent my whole life loving you, only to be discarded like I meant nothing. Just fold me, and put me on a shelf in the closet, or hang me on a wall. Just something that says you haven't forgotten what I've done for you. Just put me someplace where you can remember all the times I've kept you warm, gave you a sense of security, let you cuddle with me when you were ill, and let you cry on me without passing judgment. Does all of that mean nothing?"

David felt sorry for the blanket. He knew the blanket was right. What was the harm in keeping it on the shelf in the closet. Pulling it out of the trash, David says "You're right. You were like a member of this family. It isn't right that we discard you just because you're old aand worn. I will do as you say. I will put you on a shelf so that when I look at you, I will remember."

The blanket says "Yes. That's all I ever wanted."

Recommend Reviews (13) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
writingartist420
writingartist420
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
20 May, 2016
Words
989
Read Time
4 mins
Favorites
4 (View)
Recommend's
2 (View)
Rating
Views
19,780

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.