Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Box
The Box

The Box

storygoddess500storygoddess500

The day Maryann move into her Hartford, Connecticut neighborhood, Mr. Allen was mowing his lawn. He waved at Maryann and her two kids, Mia and James. Over the years, the kids developed a special friendship with the old man, but one day, they stopped seeing his friendly face. He had passed away a month before Christmas. The kids were brokenhearted.

A week after his funeral, there was a knock at the door. Mia got up to answer the door. On the doorstep was a mysterious box. Mia called her mother over, and together they opened it. Inside the box, there were three Christmas stockings, a key, and a letter. The letter said:

If you are reading this, then I have died. Don't feel bad for me, for I am with my wife now. Since I have no children of my own, I put your name Maryann Baylor on my account. It is my hope that you will use this for James's and Mia's education. Inside this box, you will find a key. The key belongs to a safe deposit box, number 2260. The acceptance of this gift means you have fulfilled my last request. Your children have brought an old man such joy and happiness. Happiness that I haven't experienced in many years.

Sincerely,

Monroe Allen.

Maryann couldn't believe what just happened. She was in awe that her children had meant so much to him. It didn't feel right taking this money, but as he said "She was fulfilling his last request." To honor him, she would accept the gift.

The next day, she went to the bank to open the safe deposit box. Inside the box, there were three separate account numbers, and a deed to the house. Two of the account numbers were trusts belonging to Mia and James. Both containing five hundred thousand dollards. His account which now had both Maryann's and Monroe's name on it, had over a million dollars in it. Maryann was stunned beyond disbelief. Mayann wondered why he would do that. She found another note under the deed. It said "Because you can't take it with you." She laughed because he knew exactly what she was thinking. She also knew some people who could use a helping hand. One to the man who had four children under twelve, and one to the woman whose daughter had many medical issues. It was her way of giving back.

A couple hours after dropping off a check for five thousand dollars to each recipient, there was a knock at the door. It was the man she wrote the check to. He said, "Hi, I'm Jonathon. I can't accept this."

"Please take it. I recently came into some money. With Christmas not too far away and four children in your household, I wanted to do something nice. Think of it as a Christmas gif if you have to, but take it."

"I don't know what to say. Nobody has ever been this generous before."

"Say thank you."

"Of course, thank you. Can I at least take you out to dinner?"

"That's not necessary. Use it to buy Christmas gifts for the children."

"I will. Can I hug you at least."

"Okay." They hug."

"Thank you so much."

A fre hours later, a woman came to the door. "Hi, I'm your neighbor, Alice Dugan from down the street. Can I ask why you wrote me this check?"

"Well, I recently came into some money. I wanted to share it with people. I thought between Christmas and your daughter's medical bills, you might be able to use it. It was a little presumptuous of me. I hope you don't mind."

"How can I thank you? Our daughter's medical bills are drowning us in debt. Thanks to you, I can catch up on the rent, and get her gifts, You are a godsend."

Tears were streaming down her face as she hugged her. She says "You have no idea how much this means."

"Oh, I think I do. Have a wonderful Christmas, and take care of that beautiful child for me, okay?"

"I will. Merry Christmas to you too."

James and Mia heard. Mia said, "Mom,that was a nice thing you did. What made you do that?"

"Because I can, and it helped me find my Christmas spirit."

"James said, "We found ours too.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
storygoddess500
storygoddess500
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
6 Dec, 2017
Words
724
Read Time
3 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
1,605

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.