Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Darkness

The Darkness

By Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik

The darkness. It began somewhere, it must have done for all must begin somewhere, though I know not where the darkness originated from. It rolled in over the mountains, uncut by their sharp peaks and unyeilding crests before long it was above me,j as if it was following me. Though I know in all my reason that I could not be so, I do truly believe that the blackness must have been following me. Why else would it have come here? What the darkness possibly want with a city?

As it followed me, it grew and grew and as dusk arrived, it encapsulated the city in all its entirety and the city was in darkness. The black menace had eaten the city. It brought with it the harsh wind and lashing rain that beat against my bare skin as it rained more no more in the city. I ran up and up until I found a platform upon which I could stand and watch the desolation from above.

I stood and gazed beneath me to see buckling trees with now leafless cracking branches and cars hit by millions of plummeting droplets of rain and wondered why - if the blackness wanted me, why didn’t it just take me? It could have slipped away into the shadows undetected and stolen me like a thief in the night. Perhaps it was the shadows.

It looked up above in an attempt to address the destructive menace face to face so it could not conceal itself any longer. I was forced the brace myself from it as it sent it’s cruel lashing breath forth to avoid looking me in the eye. Could it be that the darkness was scared of me? A sound accompanied it as if the blackness was attempted to communicate with me, though I could not understand what it said, I could tell that it was angry. Very angry. For the sound was incredibly loud. What had I done?

The wind and rain whipped my hair from my face and left chilled water fragments upon my skin that stung like a thousand tiny shards of glass cutting into my flesh. Perhaps it was, though I reached to my cheek and found no blood. The darkness sent vicious flashes of white mindless light to me in an attempt to blind me, to no avail, thankfully.

I did not know what could be done to escape the darkness.

As the wind roared, I truly believed that my only option if the darkness would not take me gently I would have to leave my platform and plunge into the icy depths of the unknown. Then, suddenly and without warning, the darkness began to disintegrate int the warming air. The wind and rain ceased and the blackness did not take me as it left.

Perhaps it was all in my mind.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Mitzi1776
Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik
About This Story
Audience
12+
Posted
28 Jul, 2019
Words
477
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
971

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.