Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The governing body
The governing body

The governing body

linoleumflooringlinoleumflooring

He anxiously stood at the side of the road. Turning around, he could hear the crash of ocean waves in the distance behind him. Stared down at his watch. It read 10:45 PM. He was nervous. You could tell. The look on his face gave it away. Once again, he looked down upon the watch, the minute hand hadn’t budged yet. Then he heard a sound behind him. She was finally here. You could also tell she was nervous, almost a scared look to her distant face.

A wave of relief hit him, the wait was over. But a new nervousness came up— what was happening? This shouldn’t have happened at all. By all accounts of miracles, this was not one of them.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, unsure of who would make the first move. The ocean waves crashed in the distance, faint, but powerful. The moon was in a quarter crescent , dimly illuminating the nervous faces of the duo.

“This isn’t suppose to be happening,” she whispered loudly, just enough so he could barely hear.

He walked up to her, with his hands shaking, and embraced her awkwardly, and for a second, all was quiet except for the light sound of critters moving in the grass besides them, a gull flew a distance away, and the always-present sound of the crash of ocean waves. Just as fast as it came, he released his hold and stared blankly into her face, then turning around, blushing.

She took his hand gently, then drew back, with a sense of regret. He looked at her reassuringly and held her hand firmly.

Laying down on the cool sand, staring at the night sky. The moon illuminated their faces, just enough to see their defining features. Their hands were still together, and their shoulders were touching. A shooting star fell out of the sky and fizzled out in a magnificent but quiet ending. And most of all, the crash of ocean waves was as strong as ever. Although no words were exchanged, they knew it deep down in their consciousness and feelings. The stars shone down on them from a distance unimaginable to the human imagination, yet it was so close as if one were to reach up they could pluck a star off its black backdrop, and slip it in their pockets to keep forever. The foamy water lightly tickled their bare feet on the sand. Their faces displayed a relaxed emotion, all was calm in the air. A utopia of harmony and relaxation was blessed upon them that night. All of a sudden, she turned her head and looked at him; a graceful and blissful look to him. All the worry was gone. She thought for a bit, her lips opened up, but no words came out. The foamy water brushed against their toes.

“I have to go,” she suddenly said.

She hastily stood up and started putting her socks and shoes on. He looked up, breaking the calm setting, confused. He sat up and started stuttering, but before he could speak, she once again said,

“Im not suppose to be here. I have to go.”

She started towards where they had met with intent in her steps. He shouted towards her,

“You forgot something!”

Turning back while still running, “Give it to me next time!” she responded with, in an out of breath shout.

“Ummm no, its your car keys!” he nervously said loudly to her.

She stopped in her footsteps, and turned around, running back to retrieve what was forgotten. Without a word, she took it from him, still in a seated position, the watery foam submerging his foot in a cool ocean wash. She started heading back, a worried look to her face. You could see it.

Only after a few paces, she stopped again. Turning around, she looked at him, a distant look to his eye, as if he were a lost sailor on the vast ocean. He was dumbfounded, a starstruck appearance was bestowed upon him. It was as if someone had came to him and froze him in the position forever. She walked back to him, briskly and gently kissing him on his cheek. He didn’t budge. She turned around, didn’t turn back, and once and for all left him alone on the dunes of sand. The roar of her car engine faded into the distance, a distant look still stuck on his face. The waves were now lapping on his ankle. The sounds of gulls were still apparent, and the moon shone down onto his face, showing he was still in a stilled mood, unmoving. A far look caught on his face, he sat there without movement. The waves were on his shins now, and he was still buried deep in thoughts. As he sat there, the roar of the waves grew dimmer and dimmer until was no more.

Author Notes: wrote this at 2 am lol

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
linoleumflooring
linoleumflooring
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
13 Nov, 2020
Genre
Type
Words
817
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
671

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.