Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Huntress

The Huntress

By Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik - 1 Review

As the storm grew ever stronger and the blizzard blew ever harsher, the subtle stars emerged from behind the winter pearly white veils of cloud and hoovered in the sky. The night itself was black. The inky darkness consumed the forest almost completely and had it not been for the etherial light of the shimmering stars and the bright white luminance of the pale moon, pale and sickly in complexion from her envy of the beauty of the scene beneath, one may not have been able to view the forest at all. It would have have slept under the curtain of the all - consuming blackness.

The silent frozen wind whipped through the ever green trees with out a sound and threw the powdery snow up from its lofty resting place in drifts and glaciers. The flakes of snow were tossed as if weightless up towards the heavens as if a herald to the dawn, though dawn was far from the bleak horizon. Tiny footprints marked the snow with little dents, forming the remanence of a path through the myriad of towering trees leading to some unknown destination deeper into the forest.

Dare one wander further?

Towards the frozen heart of the forest, the paw prints grew more frequent and greater in variation. It was clear that there was some sort of rendezvous point in the forest, but why? A soft noise sounded through the trees, from some unknown source. It was a call that seemed of such musicality that one felt it almost had to be human in its origins, though it lacked a heart beat. It lacked an imperfection. And then she emerged; a young woman was waist-length tatty dark hair which hung in beautiful waves. But she - almost impossibly beautiful- wasn’t entirely human. Something seemed too perfect; perhaps it was her porcelain skin; the glass almost translucent appearance of her cheeks; or the slight cobalt tinge in her thin lips. Or perhaps it was her incredible periwinkle blue eyes, blessed with cerulean flecks like stars in the sky. She stood poised with a fur pelt around her slender form and a crystalline curved hunting horn hanging from a chain around her neck.

Animals seemed to gather around her in the faint light. It was unclear why, but nevertheless, they gathered, almost awaiting instructions. For a moment, one wondered if she was just a trick of the light; some phantasmal apparition or reflection from the ice. As the full moon vanished behind the clouds once more, so did she.

The forest was in darkness once more.

Author Notes: This is a repeated piece. Please remove.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Mitzi1776
Mitzi Danielson-Kaslik
About This Story
Audience
PG
Posted
6 Dec, 2019
Words
429
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
4.0 (1 review)
Views
881

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.