Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Imposter
The Imposter

The Imposter

Franc68Lorient Montaner

I would never imagine that the actual days of my felicity would be usurped, by the presence of an astute doppelganger whose resemblance would bear a striking image of my own natural guise. A stranger who would eventually assume the identity of a forlorn brother of whom I had not known of his prior existence. I was born into a German family of great prestige that was well-established in the town of Darmstadt, where the ancestral surname of Eichenwald was deeply embedded in the lineage of the original inhabitants of the region. I had been educated in the best schools in Berlin as a child of precocity. I was raised to continue the practice of connoisseurship in wines of my father and his successful father before him, who were from ancestral barons. I had no other direct siblings that I was aware of their birth, or was there another inheritor that was to claim the inheritance bequeathed by my father. This I was led to believe. My name is Martin Eichenwald.

It was the year 1798, and I was living abroad at the time in Vienna, when I was summoned to return to Darmstadt to attend to my ailing father, who was dying from an acute form of a malady that was a deadly fever that he had contracted a few days previous to my trip. Naturally, I had returned as soon as I was able to from Vienna, not knowing what to expect upon my arrival. During the duration of the trip home, I was solely preoccupied with the condition of my father and the possibility of his imminent death. It had been an entire month, since I had last seen or visited him, due to my activities and engagements abroad. Regrettably, my beloved mother had passed away the year before, due to the complications of a virulent illness that had congested her lungs completely. I could not bear the reality of losing my father, for there was still much to learn from him as a son, and as a man.

It was in the eventide I clearly remember, when I had arrived at last to Darmstadt, where the servants were waiting for my immediate instructions. Our home was a villa located on the outskirts of the town, a few kilometres beyond the vineyards, near the Upper Rhine Plain. Unfortunately, for me, I would not arrive in time, for my beloved father had passed away, the night before unbeknownst to me. Nothing could have prepared me for his untimely death, nor the dire consequences that had ensued afterwards. When I had entered his room, there was a sombre shade of death and murk that had pervaded over the once colourful life of my father. His robust fortitude was then overshadowed by his pale complexion that had sadly demonstrated the depletion of his physiognomy. I could only observe with a helpless stare, and a sense of rue that would haunt me, until the remaining days of my life.

He would be buried the following morning, beside my beloved mother within the family cemetery that was adjacent to the estate, in accordance to his desire. White roses were put over his coffin, and a decorative wreath that was adorned with a red ribbon, as a solemn token of devotion. The morning sparrows had sung in unison his dirge with such a serene melody, and the winds had blown a whistling murmur that sounded like an eerie breeze. As I stood in obeisance, I harkened to the memories that we had shared throughout my life. They would be experiences that would shape me as a man and teach me the valuable lessons of trust and virtue that I had learnt wisely, but I could not eschew the grievous regret that had afflicted my sober reaction expressed, with such candour I had exhibited.

It was when I had returned to the house that I was confronted then, with the sudden realisation that an unannounced stranger was expecting me, claiming to be my lost brother. What was more astonishing was the fact that the stranger had resembled me exactly with every apparent feature that I had found compelling. I had gazed into his eyes with a fixated stare, pondering who was he truly, and why did he tarry in his presentation to procure his identity? I was experiencing a maelstrom of emotions upon the death of my father, and to then learn that I had a sibling who appeared to be an identical twin of mine that was standing in front me was sufficient to elicit scepticism in me. He was well dressed in an elegant waistcoat and breeches. His linen shirt had exquisite ruffles of fine fabric, with a small turnover collar, worn with the stock. He had an imperant posture that had reflected a slight hauteur that was noticeable. Thereafter, he had addressed me with a question that I had intended to query.

'You are wondering, who am I in earnest, and why I resemble you baron?'

'Indeed, I would be remiss, if I did not enquire Herr..?

'It is Eichenwald, but you can address me as Leopold'.

'Am I to assume that you are a lost relative of mine?' I had enquired.

'Yes, you can make that assumption. I am your identical twin'.

'If you are who you claim to be, then where have you been all of these years?'

'Ostracised by our dearest father in seclusion'.

'What do you mean by that?' I pressed.

'You see my dear brother. I was sent to an orphanage, after my birth privately. I was not wanted by our presumed loving father.'

'Why should I believe you?'

'You could choose to believe me or not, but that is not of my concern, for I have evidence to present that could substantiate my claim'.

'Evidence, such as?'

He handed me a legitimate document, with the name of my father in black and bold print.

'Now, do you believe me?'

It was too real to accept and disturbing, but it did convince me of one thing, and that was that I had to investigate more his so-called claim.

'Forgive me, if I remain sceptical, but I must first verify this document, then I can address you accordingly'.

'By all means do that. I have no quarrel with your doubts and hesitance'.

'In the meantime, may I suggest that you honour my request to leave the estate and return in a few days, when we could better discuss this issue privately? I ask that you respect the process of my family's mourning'.

'Am I not family, my dear brother?'

'As for now, you are an intruder', I had answered.

He was a bit reluctant then had acquiesced, 'I shall respect that request, but know that I am no real threat to you brother. My intentions are good in nature, and I extend my courtesy to you, as your sibling'.

'With all due respect, I shall refrain from making judgement on your character, until I can confirm without any shred of doubt, your claim'.

'Understood. I thought you would have welcomed me with open arms, but I see that I am mistaken'.

'Did you really believe that I would accept your claim, without any hesitation? How do I know, you are not an imposter?'

Leopold had shrugged his shoulders, 'Fair enough! I hope you will express to me sooner than later, a semblance of brotherly love and gratitude, as I have expressed towards you'.

'Only time will tell'.

'Indeed!'

We had abated the tense conversation, and the stranger had left the estate afterwards, knowing the firm conditions that I had stipulated. It was difficult to come to the sudden realisation that this anonymous man claiming to be my lost brother was exactly that in reality. Essentially, I had to come to terms with the grim death of my beloved father to have to deal, with the imposition of a person that was either telling the truth or was a genuine imposter. My mind was occupied with the funeral and the immediate affairs of the estate that I was not prepared for the presence of the stranger that had appeared out of nowhere it had seemed, with a puzzling declaration. That night, I had contemplated these matters, in particular, the arrival of the stranger on to the estate. Verily, if he was in the end my legitimate and estranged brother, then what did he seek and want from my father or me?

In the morning, I was awakened by the peculiar echoes of birds. It was the unkindness of the shadows of the sable ravens that were perched on the branches nearby. It was an eerie caw that had reminded me of the day after my father's passing, and that time would offer me no truce in my mourning. As I stood looking out of the window of my room, I saw the distinctive shade of gloom prevail over the gaiety of the gardens and dale. I could vaguely see the vineyards from my room. I knew how much my father had adored them with their natural landscape and fruition. I was fortunate enough to have near me, an uncle to counsel me in my public endeavours. I would rely on his knowledge and wisdom for my important decisions and actions taken. What was of relevance to me was the fact that I had to continue the surname and success of my father. Failure was not an option or was my resignation. I could not remain idle. There was too much to be lost.

The stranger had reappeared at the estate again, after several days had passed, and this time he was adamant on persuading me of his assumed identity. I had heard his carriage arrive and the unique sounds of the hooves of the horses. Although it was still recent since my father had died, I had pondered the matter of his claim with meticulosity. In my attempt to believe him, I had prepared a series of questions that I would ask and demand from him overtly. They were not difficult to respond nor that intrusive in their essence. I was waiting in the hall anxiously, when I was informed by my maidservant that the stranger was at the front door outside waiting to be allowed inside. My intuition had told me that there was something odd about his story and his origin. This I took into strong consideration, as I had greeted him with a firm handshake.

'Perhaps, I suppose that shortly, it will be proven that you are or are not my brother'.

'Am I not worthy of that appellation? At least for today, is it so much to ask to call me brother? Does your pride impede you to utter that?' He had smiled with a devilish grin that was demonstrative of his incisive wit.

I could not afford to be deceived so foolishly, by his charm and propriety, 'In due time. At this moment, my concern is confirming with proof your assertion to the family estate and lineage.'

'Why do you assume so blatantly that I have come to demand a share of the family's wealth? Do I seem like a beggar to you, brother?'

'With all due respect, I have seen a vast share of charlatans before in my life, and you would not be the first nor the last expected'.

'If you were not of my kindred, I would accept those words as an effrontery. You may believe me or not, but I too have a reputation to uphold,' he stared into my eyes as he spoke.

'Am I to assume then that you are willing to answer some of my questions?'

'Of course! You can ask me anything you want to know'.

'You said in your previous statement that you were raised in an orphanage. Where exactly, if I may insist?'

'Frankfurt'.

'Where were you born at?' I had asked.

'Wiesbaden!'

'Have you been in other places than those mentioned?'

'Yes! I have been fortunate to travel, but perhaps not as much as you have dear brother.'

'Why do you take so long to come and see me in person?'

'I had heard about the condition of our father, through a friend of which I cannot disclose the name. Perhaps, it was because I was afraid that I would be rejected by father and by you, brother'.

'A friend you say, who?'

'That I cannot reply. What I can tell you is that now that I am here and present, let us enjoy the company of each other and regain lost time between brothers, with a fine glass of wine? I imagine that the vineyards have been kind to the family's inheritance. The Eichenwald name is prestigious throughout these parts of the country'.

'For centuries, we Eichenwalds have been prosperous'.

Two glasses of wine were prepared and brought to us by one of the servants. I had to step out of the hall for a moment to tend to a private matter that I had been informed. When I returned, I had resumed my enquiry.

'I have so many other questions to ask, but I shall end them with this last question that has intrigued me since your arrival. What do you want from me?'

'Would you believe me if I said, your acceptance?'

'Surely, that is not all that you seek'.

He had extended his hand, 'It is a beginning brother'.

'For now, you will have to accept my doubts,' I said as I shook his hand and had felt a coldness with his shake.

'I have no objection, except one'.

'What is your objection?' I had asked.

'Simple, you acknowledge me, as your brother. Is that so much to ask?'

'I am afraid that I cannot acquiesce to that demand at this moment, until I have proven your claim logically'.

'What more can I prove to you that I am your authentic brother?'

'Nothing that you say will convince me for now, but if you are truly my brother, then shortly, all the facts will conclude that what you claim is based on the truth'.

'Fair enough. I shall patiently wait a few days more brother, for you to have gleaned all your facts and substantiated them. Before I leave allow me to interject one last thing. Even though I am a man of patience, I shall not tarry forever'.

'Is that a threat Herr?

'It was not intended to be one, brother'. He drank his glass of wine from a bottle he had brought, hoping to be accepted by the family, then departed the estate. What I did not know at the time was the fact that Leopold had put poison in my wine glass. He had come to murder me with his discreet manner. I would not know this, until his death.

I was so occupied with his presence that I had forgotten to drink my glass of wine. My impression of the stranger was uniquely hesitant. Although he was debonair in his demeanour, he still did not convince me of his actual claim one bit.

I would receive tidings the next evening about his claim, from a sleuth that was hired for the task of investigating this intrusive man. I would be informed that there was indeed a man, by the name and description of the stranger that was once raised at the orphanage in Frankfurt, with the name of Leopold Hoffmann, but there was not much else divulged in distinct details about the origin or background of this man. The plot of the scheme had thickened, and the crux of the mystery had evolved into a troubling scenario that would require more introspection and guidance. For that reason, I had summoned my uncle Otto Eichenwald to the house that night, in order to speak to him about the ongoing dilemma I was confronted with, after the death of my father. I knew that I could depend on his valuable advice and wisdom.

When he had arrived, we began to converse about the matter of my father's death, the affairs of the estate and the issue of the stranger.

'Uncle, next to my father, you have been the one man who I have deeply revered and trusted. I shall need your assistance with handling the affairs of the family'.

'You father was indeed a great man of virtue and commerce. There is no need for you to be restless, for I shall aid you in whatever act you require of me to perform'.

'I shall be going abroad for a few days to Vienna. I have some unfinished business there, but I shall be back within a week'.

'Don't worry nephew. I shall tend to the affairs of the estate in your absence'.

'There is another pressing matter that must be addressed with discretion, and that is the presence of a stranger that claims to be my twin brother'.

'Who is this man? Where is at now?'

'He says his name is Leopold Eichenwald, and he is I believe staying in Darmstadt for the time being'.

'Do you believe him?'

'That is why I summoned you uncle. You the brother of my late father would probably be more knowledgeable than I, in regard to illegitimate children that my father had out of wedlock'.

'I am afraid your father never divulged to me whether or not he had other children. Did you investigate his claim thoroughly?'

'Yes I did'.

'What did you discover in the process that was of pertinence?'

'Nothing, except that he was raised in a certain orphanage in Frankfurt'.

'What other proof does he have that is credible or reliable?'

'He had showed me a birth certificate, with the name of my father'.

'Is that all he has to prove his legitimate claim as your brother?'

'For now. I don't know what to do. Should I just dismiss his claim to the family or seek the recourse of more investigation? Should I denounce him to the local authorities?'

'Not yet. I am interested in meeting this strange fellow in person. Could you arrange for us to meet the three of us?'

'I think I can, but it will have to wait after my trip'.

Two days after our conversion, I had embarked on my trip to Vienna. My fiancée Genevieve was expecting me. I was cognisant about the fact that the trip would not efface the issue of the stranger or the death of my father, but it was an ephemeron of which was necessary for my mental distraction. What I did not suspect was the degree of treachery and evil that the stranger who had claimed to be my twin brother would exact upon me. As I walking from a shop one night, I was approached by two men who had proceeded to kidnap me and take me to a dungeon that was located on the outskirts of Vienna. I had struggled desperately to free myself from their taut grasp, but I was unable to overwhelm them in the end. Their sheer strength in numbers was more than mine. What did they want and why did they kidnap me was unknown to me? I would soon have my answer.

When I had awakened the following morning, the door to the dungeon would creak open wide suddenly, and there standing before me was no other than my presumed brother Leopold, with a stare and expression of his countenance that was conspicuously evil. In the beginning, I did not know what I was doing captive in a solitary dungeon, and what did the situation have to do with Leopold. The dungeon has a terrible stench of moss and mould that had pervaded over the dilapidated walls that were evidently eroding with the duration of time. There were hissing and squeaking rats that were gnawing at my garments, as I had observed them with absolute horror and disgust. It was literally, like being confined to the depth of the chasm of hell alive. I would soon learn that Leopold was the mastermind behind my planned capture and sequestration.

'What is the meaning of this Leopold? Set me free at once, or there will be consequences,' I had demanded.

'It is simple brother. You are a guest of my hospitality'.

'This is how you treat your guest with such disdain, and as a prisoner?'

'No more disdain than what our beloved father had imposed on me as a child'.

'Even if that it is true, why must you punish me for his iniquity or actions?'

'Your point is well expressed and has a measure of truth, but regrettably I must confess to you that you shall never see the day of light again'.

'What do you want from me you fiend?' I had insisted.

'Fiend, you dare to call me? Is that not harsh of a name to call your brother?'

'This is how you intend to prove your existence to the family, by kidnaping me?'

'I prefer to call it usurping dear brother'.

'Is this is what you intend to do? Usurp my name?'

'I intend to usurp much more. I shall have your life, while you rot away wretched in this dungeon. It is time that you feel the abandonment that I had felt for years brother'.

'What are you saying?'

'Your wealth will become mine, even your beloved fiancée. She is beautiful indeed,' he had uttered with audacity.

'If you harm her, I shall personally hunt you down Leopold'.

He had reflected a facetious smirk on his face and laughed before he replied, 'I do not plan on harming her, but as for you, I have prepared you a proper welcome'.

With a sword in his hand, he had sliced the upper right side of my countenance, leaving me with a hideous scar that I would never forget and mark me forever. Then, he left me alone to fend for myself and survive in the darkness of the dungeon that he had imprisoned me. I would languish in that darkness, while he had returned to assume my identity. He had taken control of the estate and its affairs, convincing my uncle and Genevieve that he was me in person. He left behind a few servants to tend and feed me, so that I would not die so hastily. He had wanted my death to be a slow one, and one that would please his Machiavellian imposture with delight. Within the span of a cruel week, I had lost my father and my status as well. The days and nights were a hellish inferno that were debilitating my will and rationality. The thought that Leopold was usurping me was constantly on my mind. I could not escape the bitter realisation that I was unable to alter the predicament that I was confronting.

Leopold had perfected my mannerisms and virtues, as he had begun to spend the wealth that he had declared was naturally entitled to him. He had studied me well and had learnt the successful traits of being a businessman. He had attempted to gain the trust of my uncle and fiancée, with his cleverness and creativity, demonstrating his intellectual prowess and command of language. He would take trips with Genevieve abroad and purchase trinkets of value to attempt to win her affection, but Genevieve would soon begin to sense his indifference and distinction between Leopold and me. My uncle would as well, but he would remain befuddled by the usurpation. Neither of them would even know that I the real Martin Eichenwald was languishing, in a remote dungeon outside of Vienna with my anguish.

The months had passed, and I had continued in my deplorable state of wretchedness, until one day, I would be freed of my imprisonment and isolation. I was visited by a certain woman who was a scorned lover of Leopold. She did not reveal her name to me at first, but had been aware of my situation. Thus, out of retribution or spite, she had managed to sneak herself pass the instructed servants that were in charge of my supervision and enter the dungeon to free me. As I had observed her closely, I was puzzled by her actions, but at the same time extremely thankful. I had not known at the time that Leopold had numerous enemies that were searching for him, with a vengeance pursued. He had left behind a trail of bitter people that he had deceived in the past and present. All of which were the result of his vile machination displayed.

'I have come to free you Baron Eichenwald.'

'Who are you, and how do you know my surname?' I asked the woman with excitement in my veins.

'I am Eva. It is not important who I am, but what I have come to do, and that is to take you away from this horrible place, so that you can return and assume your natural position in Darmstadt'.

'How do you know that I live in Darmstadt?'

'Now is not the time baron, we must leave at once, before the servants discover us and foil our plot'.

'Go whither?'

'I shall take you to my place, then escort you in carriage to Darmstadt'.

Despite my exhilaration to be free, I was somewhat hesitant to go with her, 'How do I know, this is not a calculated ploy to induce me to my death? How can I trust you?'

'At this point, you have no other option. If it will assuage your doubts of me, then know that I too have been an innocent victim of that scoundrel Leopold'.

I could see the truth reflected in her eyes and expression patently. It was enough to convince me. From that moment on, we had pledged our revenge against the doppelganger, 'I am ready to leave, when you are'.

We had scurried past the servants undetected, through a hidden tunnel that was located on the other side of the dungeon. Once at her home, I had taken a needed bath and had rested upon a bed that I had not felt in months. It was indeed refreshing to feel once more like a man than a caged animal. The thought of exacting revenge upon Leopold and regaining my status had compelled me to return to Darmstadt with determination. There was no doubt within me that I would return and claim what was deservingly my legitimate position in the hierarchy of the family. I was not going to allow a charlatan like Leopold to go unpunished. I would unmask him, for who he really was in his true essence. It was not ire that had consumed me, instead it was more a thing of honour. In particular, saving the honour of my deceased father whose reputation would be tarnished by Leopold.

He was in Mannheilm, when I had returned to Darmstadt with Eva. What I would encounter upon my return, would be the fact that he was about to wed my beloved Genevieve, when he had returned from his trip. I had discovered this revelation, as I was in Darmstadt crossing a street, and had overheard Genevieve speaking to an anonymous woman, about her upcoming marriage. Eva and I would be staying at a local inn, until I had finally had the chance to expose the daring imposter. My heart had sunken with disgust and disbelief, upon hearing the unbearable tidings. I was not going to allow her to marry Leopold. I had to prevent that marriage and there was not much time to ponder about the manner in which I would achieve my actions. Thus, I had to devise an immediate plan that would be effective and possible. I knew that I had to convince not only Genevieve or my uncle, but all of Darmstadt as well. That would not be a facile task to accomplish. With innovation and intelligence, I had created a plan that I was confident would result favourably.

What it would imply would be that I would first confront Genevieve, about the false impostor than Leopold when he had returned. I did not have much time to speak to her, knowing that she was going to be married soon. Thus, I had Eva be my accomplice. She would assist me in my endeavour to regain my identity. Genevieve was staying at a nearby chalet and was alone at the time, when I had entered into her room unannouncedly. I had stared at her natural beauty from outside in the corridor, as she had the door to her room open wide. Her familiar smile and sparkling eyes were reminiscent of the jovial days of yore, when I was in her accompaniment. I was not even certain that she would recognise my authentic guise and mannerisms, but I was willing to risk her rejection at whatever cost, as long as I could regain her love. I then spoke to her, as she had turned to see me.

'Genevieve, it is I Martin'.

Her expression was of utter disbelief, 'Martin, but that cannot be. You are supposed to be returning from Mannheilm. That scar on your face. Who are you?

'Do you not recognise me, my voice, the way I utter your name?'

I then approached her, and we looked into each other's eyes. She was still baffled and remained speechless for a minute as she paused, before she had dared to utter the words, 'Martin, is it really you? How can that be? Then who is the man that I have sworn to marry?'

'An imposter whose name is Leopold'.

'But he resembles you. How can that be?'

'That I cannot answer, for he claims to be my twin brother. A lost sibling that my deceased father had out of wedlock'.

'Your twin brother? Since when have you be notified of his presence?'

'Ever since he first came to the estate, after the passing of my father'.

'But where have you been all this time?'

'Locked in a wretched dungeon by that madman Leopold'.

'Then how did you escape and reach Darmstadt?'

'I was assisted by a young lady who was a victim of Leopold's maniacal mischiefs'.

'How did he find you in the first place?' Genevieve had enquired.

'I suppose he was informed about the passing of my father somehow and had decided to act on his impulse of vengeance. But now, it is my time for vengeance. An act of usurping cannot go unpunished'.

'Martin...you are not an evil man of revenge. Please I beg of you, let the authorities handle this man and not you!'

'Trust me Genevieve. I am prepared to confront him and offer him something that he did not offer me, a way out'.

We had embraced each other with a tight hold and had rekindled the burning flame of our love anew after months had elapsed. I was relieved to know that she had believed me and confided in my words, but I knew deep down that there was still Leopold to confront sooner than later. The encounter with him could not be avoided or delayed any longer. I had realised that he would not immediately relent his power and status usurped, without contention or resistance. I would learn as well that he was willing to die, for what he had considered his. I had escorted Genevieve to a carriage that was awaiting her to take her to a hidden place, where Leopold could not locate her or harm her. I was extremely fortunate that I had saved Genevieve, from that scoundrel that was my supposed twin brother. Verily, if there was ever such a man of duplicity, it was Leopold in human flesh.

I had Eva stay with Genevieve, while I had waited for Leopold's triumphant return. She was reluctant at first to comply to my demand, but she did. Her veins were boiling with justice. She had a score to settle with Leopold, and I had promised to assist her in that endeavour. In the meantime, I needed her to be with Genevieve. I had returned to the inn, while contemplating over and over the scenario of my encounter with Leopold, and what would be his reaction. I had sensed that he had been already apprised about my escape and was most likely preparing himself for my appearance at the Eichenwald Estate. I was somewhat nervous at first, but my unease would be gradually effaced by my need to unmask his persona. I could not stop Eva from seeking her revenge upon Leopold. What I had hoped was that she would not be forever tarnished by this action.

I had left the inn that evening in disguise, for suspicion that I would be detected. I had then headed towards the home of my beloved Uncle Otto Eichenwald, knowing that I had to convince him too. As with Genevieve, I was not certain that I would be successful in my attempt of persuasion. He was a second father to me. It was difficult to believe that I had endured so much unnecessary hardship. All at the hands of a ruthless conniver that had plotted his masterful deception with a cunning wit. I could not afford to allow him to be a danger to not only my family, but to society also. He was not a foe to be taken for granted. That I had learnt the hard way in life. I was fully determined to outsmart him, and not be susceptible to his calculated scheme, which he had effectuated before. Along the was to my uncle's house, I thought only of exposing the imposter.

Once at the home of my uncle, I had waited patiently outside in the trees near his garden, for him to step on to his carriage and depart his estate. The idea that he would be more difficult to convince was not something that I had predicted within my mind. I knew he was a man who would recognise me for my personal character, despite displaying a heavy scar on my countenance. As with Genevieve, I had to choose my wise words accordingly, and they had to be demonstrative of my version of the truth. Even though I had so much to lose, I had felt that I had already lost in my life that which I would never regain again, the episodes of lost time. This was a haunting reminder of how little one's life could be altered suddenly and drastically. When the time had arrived to speak to my uncle at last, I slowly approached him from the rear, as he was about to leave the premise. I called his name, and he had turned to face me.

'Uncle!'

'Who are you, and how did you get inside the estate?' He had asked startled.

'I am Martin, your nephew!' I replied.

'Martin, my nephew?'

'Yes uncle. I have returned to Darmstadt to reclaim that which was usurped by me'.

'What do you mean usurped?'

I then began to explain to him the intimate story about the doppelganger and how he had imprisoned me and assumed my identity against my volition. As with Genevieve, his expressions were that of disbelief and surprise. It would not take him much to believe me, since he had certain suspicions of Leopold's behaviour already, during my absence. It had seemed that Leopold was beginning to demonstrate the true colours of his personality. I did not want to accept the fact that he was in essence, my alter ego. That in itself was a distressing thought. I had explained to him my intentions, and asked him if he would assist me in recovering my honour, for the sake of my father. He would reassure me that he would do anything to accomplish my task, with his participation. His honour was as well at stake. I had told him that I was staying at a local inn in Darmstadt.

The morning after my visit to my uncle, I had prepared well. I was certain that my evil counterpart Leopold would be arriving upon this day, and I had contemplated our encounter with a great measure of suspense. I had left the inn in which I was lodging at, and headed towards the Eichenwald Estate, not knowing truly what was to occur, when I would come face to face at last with my supposed twin. Every time I had looked into the glass mirror, I was reminded of the horrible scar that was caused by Leopold. It was a scar that I would have to bear for the rest of my life unwillingly. There were times, during my imprisonment in the dungeon that I thought only of exacting revenge, but there was much more to recuperate than my mere prestige. I could not allow my revenge to impose itself upon my intellect and character errantly.

I had been hiding stealthily, within the bushes in front of the house that had once belonged to me. Shortly afterwards, I had seen the carriage of Leopold enter the estate passing the front gate that was opened. I knew at that moment that the hour of my vengeance had arrived. I took a deep breath, attempting to calm my anxiety, as I had approached the house. I would not be detected and would ultimately reach the room where Leopold was at, upon my entrance. The servants were occupied with their menial tasks that they did not notice my intrusion. I had carried a pistol in my waistcoat in case I would be forced to utilise it. There was no doubt in me that I would have to be more astute and valiant than Leopold, if I was to succeed in my endeavour. He was seated in his escritoire writing a letter, when I had entered the room with discretion. At first, he would confuse me with the servitude.

'I shall be requesting a glass of wine to soothe my nerves, after my long trip'.

'Indeed. May I suggest another glass for me?' I said with sarcasm.

He knew immediately that it was my distinguishable voice who was addressing him, as I had entered his chamber unbeknownst to him, 'That voice I recognise clearly'.

He then turned around and rose to his feet. He was totally surprised by my presence. It had seemed that he was not apprised about my escape from the dungeon that he had condemned me to its solitude, 'Mein Gott, how did you escape?'

'I see that you were not told about my escape, brother'.

'I have been so busy with the affairs of the estate and the preparation of my marriage to Genevieve. I shall have their heads removed for letting you escape'.

'It is too late Leopold. There is no turning back now. There is nothing that you can do to prevent your downfall'.

'Fool. Do you think that anyone will believe you? Look at you, you are a man with a hideous scar on your countenance. They will think you mad'.

'Perhaps some will, whilst others will not. What concerns me is what my loved ones believe, and they believe me'.

'Do you mean your imposing uncle and your pathetic fiancée?'

'Indeed!'

He began to laugh and mock me, 'I don't need them any longer, for I have all the assets to the estate under my name'.

'You mean mine Leopold'.

His wicked grin then was erased by that realisation, 'As long as you are dead, then I shall remain in charge of the estate'.

'That is the thing I am not dead'.

I had closed the door, as he attempted to grab a pistol from his escritoire. I had thwarted his advance, by pulling out my pistol from my waistcoat and threatened him, 'I shall give you two options Leopold, either you disappear and never return, or face me in a duel like a brave man of honour'.

His reaction was to accept the duel forthwith, 'I have come too far to lose what I have taken. And what I have taken belongs to me!'

'That is where you are wrong, and it is a mistake that you will soon regret. Vengeance shall not blind me, but its taste shall be sweeter than I imagine'.

'We shall see whether or not you speak the truth brother'.

'Words do not speak louder than actions Leopold,' I had replied.

I had escorted him through a secluded chamber that was a private tunnel that led to the forest of the estate ahead. It was there, where we would decide our ultimate fate. My uncle had been waiting for us. He would be the lone witness to our duel. The audible sound of the cawing of ravens was heard, from the branches of the trees that had surrounded us. Leopold was not to be a foe to be taken so lightly, and soon we would be standing before each other, with a pistol in our hands. There was a certain measure of anxiety in both of us, as we had stared eye to eye, piercing into the depth of our resolution. Perhaps, it was foolish of me to demand a duel, when I could have had him arrested and locked up if I had so desired, but I sought to punish him myself for his unrepenting perversity. Everything that I had planned since my escape from that dungeon had occurred up to that moment in time.

The command was given by my uncle, and we took our steps forward, before we had halted our advance abruptly. It was determined that we would shoot each at the same time. We were given two bullets only in the pistols to achieve our objective and end our quarrel. I had no idea if Leopold was an expert at shooting a gun, but I would quickly have my answer. He was the first to shoot and had shot a bullet into my left arm, and I in return had shot him in the right hand that he used. Immediately, he had dropped the gun as I held my position courageously. He was given the chance to pick it up and shoot his last bullet and he attempted to. Fortunately, for me, he would miss, and the bullet would stray and hit a nearby branch. It was then my turn, and I could have killed him if I had wanted to. I chose to unable him and humiliate him, by shooting at his other hand. He had screamed and cursed me, as he writhed in pain from his wounds.

'Now, you will feel my pain Leopold'.

'What are you going to do with me?' He asked.

'I gave you two options. One was a duel which you have failed miserably, and the other option to leave forever Darmdstadt and this estate'.

'Are you telling me that I am free to go?'

'That all depends on you, Leopold. Stay and you will be imprisoned as I was. I would leave you to rot in the same dungeon I was once a prisoner, or be banished into exile.'

He still was reluctant in abandoning his status. However, he was compelled to choose exile. 'I shall choose the latter'.

'There is one thing that I shall remind you, if you decide to return and attempt to usurp my name, my reputation and above all my life once more, then you shall find yourself arrested on charges that you have been accused of. You don't think I don't know about your enemies, for they are closer in finding you than you believe, brother'.

It was enough to convince him to contemplate departing the estate at once and never return, but as I had let my guard down, he had picked up my pistol and had attempted to shoot me. Fortunately, my uncle had a pistol in his waistcoat and had seen Leopold's desperate intention unfold. He would shoot him dead on the spot that he fell. It was finally over. I had rejoiced in reclaiming my persona, my relationship with my uncle and my beloved Genevieve. Eva would become a friend to the family and visit us often. I was freed of the imposter that was Leopold. The doppelganger was defeated and banished into the fold of anonymity from whence he had originated. It was never proven that he was my brother and a legitimate heir to the Eichenwald Estate, but I would have at least offered him a token of the family's fortune and a position within the baronage, if he had decided to seek another recourse that was not usurpation. That feasibility would never see its course of action. As for my dear Genevieve, we were married a week afterwards, and we would live to see the birth of a son and daughter, who would carry on the Eichenwald Estate, with tremendous pride and prestige.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Franc68
Lorient Montaner
About This Story
Audience
18+
Posted
3 Mar, 2024
Words
7,555
Read Time
37 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
130

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.