Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Knock at the Door
The Knock at the Door

The Knock at the Door

apemannAndy (Formerly Apemann)

The Knock at the Door

There it is, the sound I have been dreading these past few days: the knock on my street door.

It’s an authoritative knock, the sound of someone comfortable in what they do and what they say; someone who is used to giving orders and not being questioned. It’s also the knock of someone who is used to delivering bad news, I suspect.

Oh, God, I think I’m going to throw up! Oh please let it not be that. I couldn’t bear it if it is. That is not what I want to hear.

Four days it’s been: four days of sheer torture. Four days of constant worry and tension and fear. And as many nights with almost no sleep. Lord, I am so tired! I can barely think straight and I know that I look a mess. And look at this place! Untidy, unclean, overflowing ash-trays and dirty cups. Dust! Dust everywhere. Oh dear, what will they think of me?

I need to tidy myself up a bit. Make myself as presentable as possible. There’s that knock again, though. A little more insistent; strident, even. I do not want to answer, but I know I have to. A couple of deep breaths and I’m ready… I think.

I struggle to my feet, as though my body weight has doubled and is trying to keep me pinned to the sofa-seat. I pat down my unkempt hair and pull my ratty bathrobe around me. I avert my eyes from the mirror hanging on the wall in case I see the horror that is my swollen and tear-stained face.

Top bolt. Dead lock. Safety chain. Bottom bolt. Turn the latch.

A handsome uniformed officer stands on the step with his cap in hand, wearing a sombre expression. Beside him, looking uncomfortable and out-of-sorts, stands a young constable, little more than a kid really. Hell, he still has acne spots! He refuses to look directly at me. My legs start to shake.

The senior officer settles a look of professional compassion onto his face then utters the words I have been dreading:

"I am sorry to say that we have found a body…"

ooOoo

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
apemann
Andy (Formerly Apemann)
About This Story
Audience
15+
Posted
11 Apr, 2016
Genre
Type
Words
372
Read Time
1 min
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
3,354

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.