Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Race
The Race

The Race

ApurboSameen Abrar
1 Review

I opened my eyes. I was running. At first, I didn’t know why I was running. I looked back; two people held my shoulders, one each. I ran continuously. Without rest. I had started to feel tired when suddenly I felt something in my heart. I felt I had a reason to keep running. So, I kept on running. I ran and ran. I saw many people running beside me. Some in front of me, some behind. I looked beside me. Tracks spanned as far as I could look. I slowly made acquaintance with the runners beside me. We became friends. We talked as we ran. We played as we ran. We did everything as we ran. One day, one of my friends started to take a lead. We became more distant as we kept running. The two people behind me started to push me to catch up to him. I did not want to. But catch up I did. I even crossed them. But then I was all alone.

I had only those two people to talk to. But one day, they passed the baton to me and they stopped running. I looked back as the distance between them and I grew more and more until they were no longer visible. I kept running. Day and night. No one beside me. I couldn’t understand if I was making any progress. I was lost. But I kept running. My legs were shaking. My mind was foggy.

My body kept telling me to give up. I fell down, unsure if I'll be able to stand again. It was then that I saw a person coming towards my track. She came and tied her right leg with my left with a red cloth. After that, she held me up and we both started running again. We kept running and running. We chatted as we ran. We had lots of fun. She showed me things that she knew. I showed her the things that I knew. I felt that we run faster when we are together. I felt like myself. We had finally understood the meaning of this race. We knew what this race was about and why we were running it. While running we saw small runners who were standing still. We took them with us. Together, all of us had a great time. Both of us taught the small ones all that we knew. They ran with us and we ran with them.

Slowly but surely, the small ones were not small anymore. They started to run faster than us. But we had no need of catching up because we were the same team. Laps kept on going. The endless laps. Laps which, no one knew the amount of. We had started to grow tired. But not our small ones. So, one day, we passed the baton to them and stopped. They looked back at us while running forward. Before long, they were gone. Only we remained. In the fog of the laps run before.

Author Notes: please leave a comment on what you think. this is my first time writing such a piece.

Recommend Reviews (1) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Apurbo
Sameen Abrar
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
22 Dec, 2020
Words
504
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
4.0 (1 review)
Views
862

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.