Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Stars
The Stars

The Stars

ApurboSameen Abrar

I looked at her the exact moment she looked at me. Our eyes locked on each other. It took us a moment to realize that we were staring for far too long, so she motioned me to walk towards the balcony. I broke away from my crowd, begging pardon for my unmannered behavior, and walked to the balcony of the mansion. I walked into a lady, champagne in hand, enjoying the beauty of the starry night. I went ahead and stood beside her. She turned her face towards me. And I saw what could be described as the truest form of beauty. Her features felt more defined in the moonlight than in the fire of the chandelier. She smiled. I smiled back. And at that very moment, I realized that I want her. More than anything I could ever want in this mortal world. After that night, my life had changed. I went to see her every day. We would meet in restaurants, parks, almost everywhere. And each day, my love for her grew deeper and deeper. Letters would go and come filled with words of love and affection. I had changed myself to be the perfect man for her. I gave all of my love to her. I gave her gifts of jewelry made of gold, as a sign of the purity of my love. I gave her dresses and bands. And every time she would hug me and love me. It made me feel different and complete.

Finally, I had decided to make her mine. I had bought a diamond ring. I saw the reflection of light from the diamond bend into multiple colors just like my love for her had turned me from a black and white man to a colorful person. I stored the ring in the box and opened the door to walk to my car. The night was cold but clear. I saw the stars reflecting on the hood of my car. I looked up. A thousand tiny stars twinkled in the cold sky of December. I thought, “The stars have aligned tonight to witness me.” I got in my car and drove to the bridge near the mansion where we were supposed to meet. She did not know. It was a surprise.

I pulled up near the bridge and walked to the top. Moonlight glistened in the river below. The crickets made the night more silent. On the very top was she, illuminated by the moonlight. She looked exactly the same as the day I first met her. I went and stood near her. We both stared at the river for a long time before we started talking. We talked for a long time about various things. But something seemed off. She did not laugh along with me. She seemed to be not interested. I did not want to delay any longer.

I knelt in front of her. And produced the box of the ring in front of her. At first, she seemed amused, almost jokingly. I was confused. She started laughing. And that is when I understood that all this was a complete joke to her. She turned around. She left and I stayed. I sat down. Destroyed inside out. I looked up. The stars were still there. I thought what I had thought back at my home, the stars did align but not for me. Maybe for someone else. Maybe not. But certainly, not for me.

I sat there. Trying to comprehend, why despite my deepest love, I got the deepest scar.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Apurbo
Sameen Abrar
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
4 Nov, 2020
Genre
Type
Words
591
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
585

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.