Please register or login to continue

Register Login

The Video

The Video

By Krish

I think the most arduous part of losing someone, isn’t having to say goodbye, but rather learning to live without them. Always trying to fill the void, the emptiness that’s left inside your heart when they go. We make plans for our next vacation, plans for our future with our loved ones but never think of a possibility that all those plans can be taken away in a flash. I don’t think anyone really thinkss about tragedy until they are actually faced with the shocking news.

Thomas Campbell once said, “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” It’s been 10 years since my husband died. He made sure we didn’t face any problems financially but he loved us so much that he refused to believe that he had no chance of survival but ultimately reality settled in and he accepted the fact that he had very limited days left. Today is Rhia’s 15th birthday and 10 years ago before he died, he made a video for all his loved ones; best friends; his mom and dad, my mom and dad, Rhia and me. We all watched our respective videos but Rakesh wanted Rhia to watch her video on her 15th birthday.

Amaya: “Rhia!!! Come open your birthday present from Dad.”

Rhia: “Again? Every year Dad has a different gift for me. Why does he do this mom? Buying a house near my school, keeping money in the bank for my education, these gifts. Why?!!!!”

Amaya: “Open this gift and all your questions will be answered.”

Rhia then opens her gift and plays the video…

Rakesh: “Hello Rhia Beta, Happy 15th birthday. It extremely unfortunate that I have to make this video to tell you what I have planned for you. Life is not always fair, it does not always have happiness or sorrow, it has got a mixture of both. There are a lot of things I wanted to teach you about life but; never mind. Let me come to the point.

I know what your first question will be, why has your mom been giving you gifts using my name? Just like I told in the beginning of this video that I had a lot of things planned for you, if I did not have to leave you, I would be willing to gift you whatever you wanted on your birthday but; I also wanted to gift you something that I felt would be most important for you at that particular age. When I got to know that I won’t be alive to give you those gifts myself, I gave your mother a list and asked her to give these gifts at that particular age just like this video because I felt that this was the right age to give you my video and I also had this feeling that you would understand.

I am really sorry to have left you. Leaving you hurt me more than it hurt to know that I had cancer. When Doctors told me that I had only 4 months left before I take my last breadth, I knew I had to do something to make sure that your mom never faced a problem financially to raise you. I knew I had to make sure that you had no trouble travelling to the school so I bought a house near your school even though it was expensive. At such a state, a person usually completes as many of thier dreams as possible but I didn’t. I love you so much that the first thing I said to your mom after telling her about the disease was, ** I am not going anywhere until I have secured yours and Rhia’s future. **

Hearing Rakesh cough in the video due to illness, Amaya got up with a water bottle in her hand…

Rhia: “It’s a video mom!”

Rakesh: “I know that Amaya would do my part of showering love to you but I have a responsibility as your father to make sure your mother does not face any problem regarding your education. I have even instructed everyone in our family that you will pursue the field which you want to pursue. Be it engineering or doctor or actor or singer or writer, anything you wish to become. There will be no pressure on you to study all day and no pressure of scoring full marks in exams because I know that you are smart and would do great in your studies or any other activity without any force.

I am really lucky to have you as my child. You know when we took you to the hospital to get you your first injection, I asked the doctor for an alternative to injections because I could never afford to see you cry, to see you in pain. You might or might know this but the first word you ever said, with a smile on your face you said, **Papa ** and when I heard that word, I knew that I would do anything to keep that smile on your face forever. When you took your first steps together you came to me and I was so happy that I would do anything to see those first steps you took again. There are a lot of firsts I want to be a part of but I can’t. When your mom and I got to know that she was pregnant with a girl, I researched everything about life in a house when a girl takes birth in your house. From types of clothing to shoes, from basic illness that babies suffer to the day when you receive your first period. I want to be a part of all, to help you through any problem you would face in your life but…

Rakesh breaking down…

Amaya: “Rakesh, stop crying. You don’t want her to cry on here birthday, do you? Remember why are you making this video, to make sure that your daughter knows how much you love her and how much you will miss her.”

Rakesh: “I’m sorry. Rhia, your mother has been the strongest person I have ever known in my life, right from the day we met to the last day we will ever meet. During the time when I was struggling to convert my temporary job into a permanent one, your mother was working in another company. She gave a recommendation letter to her boss and I got a permanent job at her firm at the double salary I used to get. She didn’t do it because I was her boyfriend or she wanted credit. She did it because she knew I was capable of this position. That was the day I knew who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Whenever we went on a date, she would never ever throw her frustration and anger from work on me. I know that your relationship with your mother won’t be perfect, no relationship is but trust me when I say this. Listen carefully to what your mother says to or advices you; think twice before you react to her shouting or when she says no to anything. Whatever she says or advices you, it will be for your own good. If you feel you have a valid point, put it forward without shouting or arguing. A person listens to you more carefully if you speak to them politely.

I know that you will turn out to be a great human being, a great daughter and most importantly the strongest and bravest girl in the whole world. So be safe, take care of yourself and your mother and always remember one thing, Be grateful for Every day that you get to spend with the people you love.

Goodbye Rhia, I love you and remember I will always be with you. “

Rhia is seen crying after the video as she realises that she was wrong to blame her father for everything. Her mother is right there consoling her but she is not crying. Afterall, she had to be strong for her daughter as she had promised her husband.

Rhia: “I am sorry mom for shouting at you, for blaming dad for everything. I promise you, from now onwards I will listen properly to everything you say, think about it and then react to it. I will never yell at you. I love you mom.”

Amaya, the strongest woman in this story breaks down as her husband improves her relationship with Rhia, brings them closer.

This story was not about the rift between mother and daughter and how it gets over. This story is about the love of a man for his child and family. Terri Guillemets has rightfully said, “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.

Author Notes: I hope you guys like it!!!

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Krish
Krish
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
24 Oct, 2019
Genre
Type
Words
1,464
Read Time
7 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
959

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.