Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Trail-Crows
Trail-Crows

Trail-Crows

ThomastheRayThomas Ray

The trees were just beginning to let go of their leaves when the wind brought the birds to the coast. Amid the swirling oranges, reds and gray-greens of autumn's storm, the trail-crows came wheeling from the east on their great black wings, singing their rough songs like a thousand airborne pirates warning that disaster was coming. Calamity. Cold.

Most of the time, the birds stayed in the air, riding the updrafts caused by the extreme rolling hills and cliffs of the land. Whenever they weren't flying, each trail-crow would take a place in the single-file line and tear the grass and weeds up by their roots, tilling the ground with their big black beaks, creating a path from east to west, the trail to the sun. It was said that if you followed it to the end, you would find the king of crows, and he would grant you one wish. Alas, the trail always seemed to disappear whenever the crows weren't there to maintain it, and simply going east or west never brought the desired results. The trail was the only way, as far as humans could tell, and only the crows could find--or follow--the fabled thing. Some men attempted to follow the birds everywhere they went, but eventually the creatures grew tired of the humans, and carried them out to the sea and made them fish food.

The crows did not fear men. They feared only one creature.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
ThomastheRay
Thomas Ray
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
6 Apr, 2021
Words
240
Read Time
1 min
Favorites
0
Recommend's
2 (View)
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
675

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.