Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Tricked By a twin

Tricked By a twin

By shyguy2012

Tricked By a Twin
The story of a man and his extended family - the challenges they faced, their internal conflicts, their growth, their passions, their faith, losses, and victories. And the author put together this story - his personal history - to chronicle his family's journey spanning years – a journey everyone can surely relate to and be inspired by.
My sister told me that my brother and I were always getting into “monkeyshines.” She recalled an instance where Sence made a bargain with his brother. He declared I will throw my drum off the porch if you do. Suddenly, he didn’t hesitate and picked up that old drum and threw it on the ground below.” It hit the ground with a “bam,” Crash,” and “boom” shattered into pieces all over the front yard. Well, to his surprise Pence did not throw his on the ground! At a moment’s time; Sence felt rage inside and got really angry! He remarked, “ain’t fair I’m gonna tear up your drum too!” He grabbed for Pence’ Drum in his arms and they fell on the dusky porch while the toy rolled away as they wrestle pulling on each other. June caught them fighting among themselves. Sence looked and saw her coming for them, and she wasn’t empty handed. They bolted away just as he felt her hand grab him by the gruff of his dirty neck. June uttered, come here you “scamps” don’t run from me, “dog bite your time” they broke away from her hold. Boy! When she caught up to them she wore their backsides out with a “limb.” My, it seemed only yesterday when we had those exciting experiences. As our guardian, when Big Sister turns her back on us, we found other entanglements to get into. According to Shane story of what happened, Pence was just beating his drum on the porch when he got an idea to throw his drum off to see what would happen? He went toward Sence and yell I’m gonna to do it “watch” I double dare yak to do yours! What’cha says? Sence picked up his drum and threw it to the ground! Pong’ Bam! Parts flew all over that yard! Pence not do it at all. Sence reacted in a rage; he fell down on the dusty ground kicking with right and then his left foot causing dust to fly through the air! Pence just fooled Sence as usual; they started fighting on the dirty and dusty ground swallowing lots of grit. The Rascals was busted by June who marched them right over to the “wash tub.” I swear yak going to be the death of me! We slowly stepped into the warm and soapy water. It felt so good that he “peed” in the water. Strangely, he saw the grit and sweats with traces of syrup melt away in that warm, soapy water. What a day that was. Perhaps, little boys like Sence and Pence go through the same thing. They were taught to share what was given to them and be grateful. Why? Did they treat one another so mean I’ll never know? A small voice begs me to ask myself do you really want to challenge other brothers about the question! The Colored Family Dream of day when the foot of establish segregation is taken away from the necks our people! The twin brothers grew up in the Country and they learned to “roll over and play Dead” because that just the way it was. Hence, they tried to understand and put into action what their daddy and grandpa taught them. It was never to fight among each other and from the age three when it started until thirteen the twins developed a fierce competition for each other toys (such as they had) and a desire not to give in. For example, their dad use to buy them a Popsicle when they walked to town with him which was about 3 miles away, those frozen treats were a welcome sight when they reached the Odom’s General Store, there on Main Street in Millport. After they ate the Popsicle surrounded by two flat sticks between three inches or four inches sticks, often sucked and chewed them until all the juice came out. Consequently, they were left with two sticks each to play some sort of game with. Anyway, one of Sence sticks was broken or chopped off by his teeth he forgot exactly how it happened. So long ago Pence looked at him and began to “sneer” and “snicker” as he lifted up both of his sticks in each hand! He continued to grin and show off to annoy Sence. Soon he became angry and reached over and snatched one of the popsicles sticks in a second. No! They forgot to listen to their elders because they started to wrestle again, pushing, jostling, and they forgot dad was with them. He looked back at them and barked, “boys yak better not be fighting’ again.” No sir! They walked home without further problems. Later on, at the encouragement of their “picky” nature they found more trouble to get into. “The Colored Family Dream of a day when all of God’s children will be going home Colored and White people together.”
Life can sometimes be cruel to some people. Not everyone who goes through harsh challenges comes out unscathed; however, there are some - the lucky few - who persevere and triumph despite the odds. The story of a man and his extended family - the challenges they faced, their internal conflicts, their growth, their passions, their faith, losses, and victories. And the author put together this story - his personal history - to chronicle his family's journey spanning years – a journey everyone can surely relate to and be inspired by.

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
shyguy2012
shyguy2012
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
7 Mar, 2012
Genre
Type
Words
979
Read Time
4 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
7,348

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.