Please register or login to continue

Register Login

Water
Water

Water

ThomastheRayThomas Ray
2 Reviews

The voice on the other end is Kent.

"Water."

"I know," I say through a toothpaste-filled mouth. I scrub faster in order to speak clearly.

"Water, man, it's what keeps you alive." He continues. "Two or three cups an hour can't hurt you."

"I know." My hair is surprisingly flat for just having gotten out of bed. No...roostertails... Here.

Done! I rinse my brush off, sticking it into the jar of pebbles next to my sink. It stands there, all by itself. One of the benefits of not having to share with any siblings.

My watch reads 5:58 The bus will be here in exactly within the next ten minutes.

"Water," Kent says again.

"I know."

I drink two glasses before walking through the door, checking to make sure the lid on my water bottle is tight. I don't want to lose any water.

The bus ride is noisy, normal, and dull. I listen with detached interest as the kid behind me chats about recent changes in certain stocks. I know the name of the guy he's talking to, but not his. My bottle is half empty by the time we make it to the school, so I swing by the drinking fountain on my way to first hour. The line is shorter than usual. I breeze in and out of the restroom and hurry to math class.

Midway through the lesson, Kent calls.

"Water."

"I know," I whisper, taking a long drink.

"Mark, put that away for now, please." Mrs Taylor says lightly. I don't know if she's talking about the phone or the water. Sometimes she has a problem with both. Do I put both away, muttering a quick "bye" to Kent.

The lesson goes on, and I check the clock to see how much longer. My bottle is empty, somehow...

Bells ring. Students shuffle past, and I visit the fountain between each period, carrying out my perfect routine. Kent keeps calling.

"Water."

"I know."

Lunch is a blur. My vague, confused state battles my headache for the spot of #1 most annoying until Kent reminds me again.

"Water."

"I know."

One girl shoots me a look that says "you're crazy" but moves on with her meal.

"Living is a chore." I say to no one in particular.

No one hears.

I float through the rest of the school day, taking notes and staying hydrated. Once I get back to the apartment, I call Kent and we chat until I decide it's time for dinner.

The sun is already setting outside my window when I start my homework, and it's dark outside once I finish. Dad won't be home until past midnight, so I figure there's no harm in going to sleep early. Then I'll have tomorrow to work on.

I wake up to the sound of my ringtone.

Author Notes: Weeeellll, this sure is weird

Recommend Reviews (2) Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
ThomastheRay
Thomas Ray
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
3 Apr, 2020
Genre
Type
Words
470
Read Time
2 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
1 (View)
Rating
4.5 (2 reviews)
Views
1,293

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.