Please register or login to continue

Register Login

What Happened Again? (Part 4)
What Happened Again? (Part 4)

What Happened Again? (Part 4)

Rosa_0023Despicable_Moi

“Has no one ever taught you that it’s rude to stare?” she asks me as she walks over and takes the stool next to me.

“Um… uh…” I stutter.

“‘Um… uh… what?” she asks. She waves to Darlene, prepared to make her order, then frowns as Darlene heads to one of the men in the benches.

Her moment of distraction gives me time to look her over, and much to my remorse, she shares the exact same features as the woman in my dream; same purple coat, same scarf, same bag… everything was the same. This couldn’t be possible.

Maybe this is just a coincidence? It would be a very, very coincidental coincidence if I could believe that. But I can’t. So instead, I decide to try to take it in stride and see where the night goes.

“I’m sorry,” I say, wearing my winning smile, “for the staring.”

“Yeah, I bet you are,” she answers me, not even bothering to meet my eyes. Instead, she busies herself with her carpet bag, holding it open with one hand while the other digs around inside it, searching for something. “Blast!” she exclaims in frustration, reaching even further into the bag for whatever she’s looking for. Pretty soon, it appears that her whole arm is consumed by the bag. I watch the phenomenal scene. The bag isn’t that big, and doesn’t look to be stretched out in any way. How could the woman’s arm be that far in?

“Aha! There it is!” Her arm escapes the bag to reveal a small pack of mints in her hand. She takes one out and pops it into her mouth. I’m disappointed at the silence that follows as the lady keeps her eyes on the bar table. For a while, all that can be heard is the conversation at the bench tables, and the quiet sucking noises the woman makes with the candy.

I turn my head to watch her continue to avoid my eye contact.

“Ya know, you wouldn’t have to apologize if you could control your staring habit,” she says, still not meeting my eyes. “I can feel you doing it again.”

Before I have a chance to answer her, Darlene finally comes over, ending the awkwardness.

“Hey, Darlene, make it a double,” the woman says to her with a kind smile.

“Let me guess,” I interrupt, trying to get her attention. “Did it happen again?”

The woman shuffles uncomfortably. “I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You know,” I continue, “the spiny creatures, the traps, the lost items?”

After a tense silence, Darlene, still standing next to us, laughs away the awkwardness of what I’ve said. “Well, I’ll let you two get back to it. Your drinks will be up in no time, dear.”

As Darlene leaves to prepare the woman’s order, I suddenly feel ashamed of what I’ve said. Obviously, whatever happened in my dream last night wouldn’t reflect the real world. The words I’d only intended to say as a joke have probably left the woman feeling even more uncomfortable, and even embarrassed. Thinking I’ve caused enough trouble, I get up to leave.

Once I’m at the door, I turn to look once more at the woman, hoping I won’t have to see her again after my scene, and then I walk out. After shutting the door behind me, I only make it a few steps outside before a bony hand grasps my shoulder and spins me until I’m securely pinned against the building.

It’s the woman. “How did you know the creatures would attack again?”

Author Notes: Hope ya liked it! (you're up, Avi) :P
Please tell me if there's anything I can improve with, or if you enjoyed the story!!! Thanksss! <3

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Rosa_0023
Despicable_Moi
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
16 Apr, 2021
Genre
Words
598
Read Time
2 mins
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
762

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.