Please register or login to continue

Register Login

What’s your name dear?

What’s your name dear?

By John Nagarkar

Germany was loosing the war as the allies kept drawing closer towards the German camps. But this woman just prayed for her unborn baby in her womb as she dodged both the German army and its enemies who were out to snub the lives of the Fuhrer and his men.

She tried hard to forget her husband who had opted to sacrifice himself so that she could live, so that their child could live as she maneuvered the treacherous paths in this ghostly German town. She had hardly been married 48 hours and already she was a widow. Countless lives have been lost in this battle for dominance and she was going to ensure she and her child in her womb conceived couple of weeks ago, wouldn’t be counted among the dead, at least not for now. They had to live to celebrate the sacrifice her husband had endured for their sake.

Finally, she stumbled upon a small house in the open field and rushed towards it even as sounds of artillery whispered softly in her ears from a distance.

A kindly woman in her early 40s opened the door to find her exhausted with all the running she had been doing last few hours in the dead of the night. She knew her life was still in danger but she had to trust this woman. She wasn’t sure what her background was. But the elderly woman’s smile said she was a human being and the young woman knew she could trust her.

The elderly woman welcomed her in the house and fed her. The young woman learnt that the elderly woman’s husband had been killed by the Fuhrer’s soldiers and she had just about managed to escape with her two kids. She was grateful that the war was about to end and there was hope of a new beginning for her and her small family.

The young woman felt pain in her heart. Their lives were so intertwined and so eerily similar. And then came the one question she had been dreading all along as the elderly woman gently asked her, “What is your name dear?”

Hesitantly, she looked back in the warm eyes of her saviour and then momentarily closed her eyes to remember the woman who had taken her place by the side of her late husband to mislead his enemies. “Eva…” she replied softly with an uneasy calm…

Recommend Write a ReviewReport

Share Tweet Pin Reddit
About The Author
Jonivestal
John Nagarkar
About This Story
Audience
All
Posted
21 Apr, 2020
Words
401
Read Time
2 mins
Favorites
1 (View)
Recommend's
0
Rating
No reviews yet
Views
677

Please login or register to report this story.

More Stories

Please login or register to review this story.